Woolworths Home Insurance Review - Compare Cover and Apply Securely Online
Finding home and contents insurance can be a daunting process for many. The Australian insurance market is made up of literally hundreds of different policy options so choosing the right one can take some time and research. With the right insurance in place, you will feel safer and will not feel the pinch if you have to repair your home or replace any stolen or damaged items.
A good home insurance policy covers any cost you may incur due to loss or damage of the structure. Even contents within your home can be insured against loss or damage. Most insurers will offer the two cover options as a package. That is why it is important to calculate the cover you require, as it will have an effect on the premiums you pay each month.
Woolworths Home Insurance Policy Options
Who underwrites Woolworths Insurance?
All Woolworths Home Insurance policies are issued by the Hollard Insurance Company.
Woolworths Home Insurance Cover Details
Some of the different types of home cover that Woolworths offers include:
Building and Contents Insurance:
With this insurance policy, you can get cover not just for the building, but also for the contents. The insurance provides cover for;
- Industrial unrest
- Damage due to impact
Woolworths offers the choice of standard or comprehensive home insurance. Both types can be bought online and if you are a first time buyer, you will be able to get a discount of up to 10% on your premiums. You also have the option of selecting the excess for your policy. All emergency claims can be notified to the 24-hour emergency claims helpline. This home insurance from Woolworths comes with several additional and optional benefits to help you tailor your cover closer to your needs.
Woolworths contents insurance provides cover for valuable items including furniture, jewellery and clothing from;
- Industrial unrest
- Damage due to impact
- Burst pipes
- Flood and rainwater
You will have the option of Standard and Comprehensive cover and are eligible to a 10% discount if cover is purchased online. This insurance offers cover for your valuables and assets even if they get damaged or lost while you are at home.
Woolworths Building Insurance provides extensive cover against damage to your home at an affordable rate. This policy will provide cover for;
- Burst pipes
- Industrial impact
Applicants have the option of choosing either comprehensive or standard cover.
All three Home Insurance policy options allow you to pay monthly for the insurance without attracting additional costs.Back to top
Woolworths Home Insurance Insured Events
Woolworths Home Insurance will provide cover for:
- Fire and Explosion
- Does not include fire due to certain heat-resistant home appliances, cigarettes, radiator and inflammable liquids, including alcohol
- Storm, Rainwater and Floods
- Damaged due to water seeping in due to building makeovers or construction is not covered
- It also does not cover damage to retaining wall, gate, fence, driveway, paths, swimming pool and spa
- Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcanic Eruptions
- Malicious Damage Including Vandalism
- Does not cover damage caused by an inmate or person who lives in your home with your consent
- Cover is not provided if the theft is done by someone living in the house or the theft occurred before you could begin living in the house.
- Riot, Industrial Unrest and Civil Commotion
- Impact: If your home or assets get damaged by a falling branch, communication or power pole, vehicle, aircraft, watercraft, trailer, satellite dish or debris from space, it will be covered. This event also covers damage due to falling radio or TV aerial.
- Bursting, Leaks, Discharge or Overflow of Liquids or Water from Taps and Pipes: This event also includes damage due to washing machines, baths, spas, dishwashers, hot water systems, refrigerators, air conditioners, roof gutters, drainage systems, sewerage system and/or aquariums.
- Accidental Glass Breakage: If you insure your home, you also will have cover for replacing window glass and other fixed glass, including shower screen, basins, baths and toilets.
- This does not cover breakage of the TV’s picture tube, computer screen, vases, cooking stove glass surface, handheld-mirrors, ornaments or glass of a greenhouse or conservatory.
Each insured event will have its own set of exclusions for when a benefit will not be paid. Knowing what is covered and what is not will allow you to choose the right insurance for your needs and according to your budget.Back to top
Woolworths Home Insurance Optional Benefits
When you select Woolworths Home Insurance, you also can select the optional benefits based on your needs. It is prudent to remember that these optional benefits will have an effect on your premiums. The more optional benefits you choose, the higher will be your premium.
Some of the optional benefits offered by Woolworths Home Insurance are as follows:
- Electrical Motor Burnout: If the wiring of a domestic motor burns out or fuses due to an electrical current, it is defined as electrical motor burnout. If you take this optional benefit, Woolworths will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing the affected motor. It also covers the loss you incur due to spoilage of refrigerated or frozen food or when public electricity supply fails to reach your home.
- Portable Valuables: Provides cover for accidental loss or damage to:
- Contact lenses
- Prescription glasses
- Electronic diaries
- Pocket computers
- Portable radios
- Music players
- Video cameras
- Other photographic equipment
- Sporting equipment
- Hearing aids
- Mobility devices are covered for accidental loss or damage.
When you opt to cover portable valuables, there are two ways that you can buy the cover. The first is the Group Cover wherein any number of portable valuables can be covered from the eligible list of items. This cover is to a maximum value of $1,000 per item. Alternatively, you can opt for Itemised Cover which will cover items that exceed $1,000 in value each. Each item may be insured individually.
It is important to note that there are certain exclusions applied to the insuring of individual items. If loss or damage occurs due to one of the following reasons, the cover will not be valid.
- Cleaning, repairing, restoring, renovating or altering
- Overwinding, mechanical or electrical breakdown, failure
- Scratching or denting
The loss and damage of the following items also will not be covered:
- Musical instrument or sporting equipment while in use
- Using photographic equipment underwater
- Items on display, sale, exhibition or consignment
- CDs, DVDs, films and audio or visual tapes
- Mobile phones, smartphones and car phones
- Cash, credit cards, debits cards and all other negotiable documents and instruments
- Stamp and coin collection
- Artificial limbs, wigs, dentures and dental appliances
- Professionally used musical instruments and musical accessories, like amplifiers
- Tablets, fax machines, printers and portable laptops
- Hobby equipment
- Handheld computer games and toys
- Camping equipment and accessories, including tents
The Portable Valuables benefit becomes void if the item broken is brittle in nature or the cause of loss or damage cannot be established.Back to top
Woolworths Home Insurance F.A.Qs
Q: How should I determine how much to insure my home or building?
- A: When you are calculating the amount of home insurance to take out, you should consider the entire cost of rebuilding the building, including the costs you will incur for making any kind of structural improvement, such as adding fences, pool or carport. Never take the land value when you are calculating the amount.
Q: How can I pay for my home insurance?
- A: You can opt for direct debit from your bank account or credit card. Premiums can be paid on an annual or monthly basis.
Q: Will I have to pay extra if I choose monthly payment basis?
- No, Woolworths does not levy any extra charges if you decide to pay for your home insurance on a monthly basis. There are no hidden costs involved.
Q: If my payment date happens to be a public holiday or weekend, how can I pay?
- A: If the date happens to be a holiday or weekend, you can always make the payment on the next business day without incurring a penalty or fine.
Q: What is excess?
- A: Excess is a contribution made by you towards the claim. This helps to make the insurance premiums affordable. If you make a claim, you will be charged an excess and you can decide what the excess level should be. Generally, a higher excess will result in lower premiums. You have the option of increasing your excess level during the period of your insurance. If you want to decrease the excess level, it can only be done when you are renewing your home insurance policy.
Q: I seem to have misplaced my home insurance documents. What should I do?
- A: If you have lost your home insurance document, you can contact Woolworths call centre and request for a copy. The copy will be sent to you by fax, post or email.
Woolworths Home Insurance Claims
There are four simple and easy steps if you want to claim your Woolworths Home Insurance. These steps are as follows:
- Step 1: Inform the Woolworths Claims Team about the claim. This can be done via telephone 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Give the details and you will be issued a claim number. The other option is to download the claim form, fill it out and email or fax it to Woolworths as quickly as possible.
- Step 2: Your claim will be assessed by the Woolworths assessor. During this assessment, the damage of the building and/or contents will be assessed. Woolworths will then make arrangements for a quote or organise emergency repairs.
- Step 3: Depending on the type of home insurance you have, the claim will be settled. It will be different for Building Insurance and Contents Insurance, and Woolworths will decide on the service provider who will repair the damage. In such cases, the excess would is paid directly to the service provider. If you opt against the repair or rebuilding, Woolworths will settle your claim.
- Step 4: Once your claim is accepted, all payments will be made as per the terms and conditions of your home insurance policy.
Who is Woolworths?
Since the opening of its first retail store in Sydney in 1924, Woolworths has grown to become the largest retail store in Australia. Over the years Woolworths has extended its services to now offer banking and financial solutions, including insurance and credit cards.
Insurance products currently offered by Woolworths include:
- Travel insurance
- Car insurance
- Home insurance
- Life insurance
There are several reasons why people in Australia are opting for home insurance from Woolworths. The company offers home insurance products at competitive prices and the wide range of products ensures that homeowners can find insurance that suits their needs without letting their budget get out of hand. The company also makes it easy for homeowners to pay their premiums, which can be directly debited via bank account or credit card. As a result, you never have to worry about missing or delaying your premium.
You have the option of combining the insurance for the building and contents, so that a single policy covers not just your home, but also the assets therein. If you are staying in a rented house or apartment, it is worth considering contents insurance to look after the assets in the building. This cover extends to clothing, jewellery and furniture as well. There are several options that you can choose from to ensure your personal belongings are adequately protected.Back to top
Why Choose Woolworths Home Insurance?
If you are looking for reliable and affordable home insurance, Woolworths Home Insurance could be just what you are seeking. Here are some of the reasons why you should be opting for Woolworths Home Insurance.
As a first time customer, if you buy your home insurance online using Woolworths easy and convenient online application, you will be eligible to receive a 10% discount on your monthly premiums. This is only applicable to first time purchases and not on renewals.
Based on your needs, you can choose from Building and Contents Insurance, Contents Insurance and Building Insurance. The three different types of insurance policies offered by Woolworths make it easy to choose the right option for your cover needs and budget.
Woolworths is a respected and reputable brand in the Australian banking and financial market. The company offers an affordable and genuine alternative to big banks, thereby ensuring its customers get affordable and flexible products. Payment of premiums and applying for claims are straightforward and convenient and the different steps involved make it easier for you to manage your home insurance more effectively.
These are some of the reasons why homeowners are shifting towards Woolworths when they want to insurance their homes. The wide range of choices also helps in making home insurance from Woolworths an appealing option for a variety of homeowners with different needs.