Who is GMHBA?
GMHBA is a not-for-profit member-based health fund with over 80 years experience in providing quality health insurance for its members. Formerly known as Geelong Medical and Hospital Benefits Association, GMHBA is the health fund of choice for over 230,000 members and Australia’s leading regionally based health fund.
Other types of cover available
As well as providing hospital and extras health cover, GMHBA partners with Allianz Australia to provide travel, home and contents and motor insurance to its members.
GMHBA provides a range of travel insurance options for travel within Australia and overseas including:
- Comprehensive Plan. The Comprehensive Plan covers international travellers for a single-trip policy with 16 different travel and medical benefits.
- Australia Only Plan. The Australia Only Plan offers domestic travellers a range of cover for trips of up to 35 days.
- Budget Cover Plan. The Budget Cover Plan covers international repatriation and medical and has the budget-conscious traveller in mind.
- Frequent Traveller Plan. The Frequent Traveller Plan is suited to frequent flyers who take multiple trips during a 12-month period.
Home and contents insurance
Allianz home and contents insurance offers a choice of three types of cover: SureCover, SureCover Plus and SureCover Gold Building and Contents. Depending on the policy you choose, cover includes:
- Fire and theft
- Storm, lightning, water from leaking pipes, earthquake and meteorites
- Accidental breakage
- Accidental loss or damage
- Flood (optional)
- New for old replacement
- Legal liability cover
- Loss or theft of credit cards
- Replacement of locks and cylinders
- Contents in the open air
- Property of guests, visitors and domestic helpers
- Contents of a bank safety deposit box
- Contents temporarily removed from your insured address
- Compensation for death
- Security firm attendance
- Title deeds
- Veterinary costs
- Automatic indexation of sum insured
- Modifications to buildings for paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Environmental benefits
- Landlords' contents
- Fusion of electric motors
- Spoilage of perishable food
- Legal defence costs
- Tax audit
- Contents in transit to your new place of residence
- Portable items (personal effects) (optional)
- Strata title mortgage protection (optional)
- Domestic workers’ compensation (optional)
Allianz motor insurance through GMHBA offers a range of features and optional benefits so you can tailor your cover to suit your needs. Features include the option to choose your preferred repairer and to increase your excess to reduce your premium. Policy types include:
- Third Party Property Damage. Third Party Property Damage covers costs related to loss or damage to someone else's property caused by a motor vehicle accident which is partly or fully your fault.
- Third Party Fire and Theft. Third Party Fire and Theft covers accidental loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire or theft plus costs related to loss or damage to someone else's property caused by a motor vehicle accident which is partly or fully your fault.
- Comprehensive Insurance. Comprehensive Insurance is the highest level of cover and includes cover against fire, theft, accidents and malicious damage, plus costs related to loss or damage to someone else's property caused by a motor vehicle accident which is partly or fully your fault.
What are the benefits of GMHBA Limited?
Because GMHBA is a not-for-profit member-focused fund, profits do not go to shareholders but are reinvested in the fund to provide members with lower premiums and higher benefits. And as a Members Own Health Fund, GMHBA is able to give more of members' premiums back and deliver a better, more personalised level of service.
When you take out combined Hospital and Extras cover, you are eligible to enjoy the benefits of Connect Rewards Plus, GMHBA’s member loyalty program which lets members accumulate Connect Rewards dollars year after year. The number of dollars you receive depends on how long you have been a member and your level of hospital cover. You can use your rewards to:
- Claim the inpatient medical gap
- Double your Optical Extras limit
- Reduce your hospital excess
- Increase annual limits for pharmacy, physiotherapy, hearing aids, chiropractic/osteopathic or remedial massage
- Increase major Dental Extras benefits including crowns, bridgework, dentures, surgical extractions, implants, indirect restorations, gold fillings, orthodontic and endodontic services.
GMHBA also rewards its members for staying fit and active. Fit Rewards gives members with Fit packages the chance to earn points through a variety of activities, from taking part in a fun run or playing a team sport to getting a health check from your doctor. The more points you earn, the faster you can access a range of sporting rewards including gym equipment and a variety of fitness-related products.