Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card
Save on credit card costs with an introductory rate of 7.9% p.a. for 6 months and a $0 annual fee for life.
The Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card is a low-cost Visa that offers new customers a 7.9% p.a. interest rate on purchases and balance transfers for the first 6 months. After that, an 11.5% p.a. variable rate applies.
You can use this card to make contactless payments at the checkout, including mobile payments through Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
Balance transfer rate
for 6 months
for the first 6 months (reverts to 11.5% p.a.)
Interest free period
|Product Name||Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card|
|Balance transfer rate||7.9% p.a. for 6 months|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (11.5% p.a.)|
|Purchase rate||7.9% p.a. for 6 months, reverts to 11.5% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||55 days|
|Cash advance rate||11.5% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$1,000|
|Max credit limit||$25,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||2.9%|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
- Ongoing $0 annual fee
- 7.9% p.a. for the first 6 on purchases and balance transfers
- Up to 55 days interest-free on purchases
- Charges a 2.9% foreign transaction fee
|Minimum monthly repayment||3% of the closing balance outstanding|
|Late payment fee||$10|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||2.9%|
|Cash advance fee||$4.50|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$4.50|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
How to apply
You can apply for the Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card if you are a current or retired employee of a fire service or other emergency service. You can also apply if you're a current volunteer or a family member of someone in one of these service roles.
If that's the case, you can fill in a secure application form online in around 15 minutes. To get started, make sure you meet the other key eligibility requirements below and have all the documents and details you'll need on hand.
- Australian residency status. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Firefighters Mutual Bank membership. If you're not an existing member of Firefighters Mutual Bank, but are eligible to become one, you can join as part of the application. Note that you need to be a shareholder to join, which costs $10.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, date of birth, residential address, email address, contact number and marital status. You also need to provide a valid form of ID, such as your driver's licence or passport (you can provide ID after submitting the application too).
- Employment details. This covers your salary, current job title, length of employment and your employer's contact details. You may also be asked to provide recent payslips or bank statements to help verify this information.
- Financial details. As well as your salary, you'll be asked about any other forms of income, savings, investments and existing cards, loans or other debts. You also need to estimate your regular household expenses such as rent or mortgage payments, utility bills, transport costs and groceries.
- No annual fee. The Firefighters Mutual Bank Credit Card has a $0 annual fee for life.
- 7.9% p.a. introductory rate. If you're a new cardholder, you'll get a 7.9% p.a. interest rate on purchases and balance transfers for the first 6 months. At the end of the introductory period, the interest rate on this card is 11.5% p.a. for all purchases, balance transfers and cash advances.
- Interest-free days on purchases. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the total amount owed by the due date on each statement.
- Digital wallets. You can add this card to your Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay account and make payments straight from your phone and other compatible devices.
- Security. This card comes with Visa's Zero Liability Policy, giving you cover for the cost of fraudulent transactions. You'll also get access to a 24/7 lost and stolen card hotline to help keep your account protected if something happens to your card.
Rates and fees
- Interest rate. Outside of any promotions, this card has a 11.5% p.a. variable interest rate for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances.
- Currency conversion fee. If you use this card for payments made in another currency, you'll be charged a fee worth 2.9% of the total transaction value when it's converted to Australian dollars.
- Cash advances. A fee of $4.50 applies for cash withdrawals made at other financial institutions in Australia, as well as for ATM withdrawals made overseas. Cash advance transactions will also be charged interest from the date they are made.