With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Fire Insurance

Get fire insurance with a home and contents policy, filter by what matters to you and compare up to 4 brands at a time.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

1 - 8 of 33
Name Product Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Building Cover Contents Cover Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Get a 20% discount on your contents insurance if you have a car insurance policy with Youi. Excludes NSW & SA CTP green slips. T&Cs apply.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Sign up and get free smart sensors (worth $250) to install around the home for accident prevention. T&Cs apply.
Bendigo Bank Home & Contents Insurance
Buy a new home or landlord insurance policy by 30 June 2022 and you’ll go into a draw to win $10,000. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
The only direct Australian home insurance provider to offer full building replacement cover as a standard feature.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you sign up. Plus, you could win a $2,000 bp gift card just by getting a quote. T&Cs apply.
Woolworths Comprehensive Building and Contents
Save up to 20% when you buy a Woolworths Home and Contents insurance policy online. Plus, Everyday Rewards Members will save 10% on their monthly shop. T&Cs apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

What is fire insurance?

Fire insurance is included in most home and contents insurance policies. It can pay to repair or replace your home and your belongings if they are damaged by fire. It can also cover you for temporary accommodation if you can't stay in your damaged house.

Keep in mind, for a fire to have occurred, there needs to be a flame present. Insurers don't generally cover other heat-related problems like scorching or melting.

What about bushfires?

Fire insurance also includes bushfires. However, you generally need to have held the home insurance policy for longer than 72 hours to be covered for bushfires.

What does your policy cover you for?

Fire insurance generally covers you for loss or damage caused by:

  • Fire
  • Bushfires and grass fires
  • Smoke

Here's how different parts of a home insurance policy can help if your property is affected by fire.

Building coverContents cover
  • Repairing or replacing the home
  • Temporary accommodation if your house is unlivable
  • Demolishing the destroyed house and/or removing debris
  • Regulatory fees related to building construction
  • Professional services like surveyors and architects
  • Repairing or replacing your damaged items
  • Storing your undamaged belongings if they can't stay at the property
  • Removing and disposing of undamaged contents

How to lodge a claim after a fire

When you are ready to claim after a fire, here's 4 things you need to do:


Contact your insurer.

Let them know ASAP so that they can assess the damage.


Gather evidence.

Take photos of the damage, get the police report and make a list of what you lost in the fire. Try to locate proof of ownership of the items you lost.


Lodge your claim.

Fill this out on the insurer's website and send it back to them along with the evidence you've gathered.


Wait for the results.

If your claim is accepted, your insurer will pay to repair or replace whatever is covered by your policy. If your claim is denied, you have the right to several rounds of appeals, first through the insurer's internal disputes department and then through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

What fire insurance doesn't cover

Here are some reasons an insurer could deny your claim:

  • A bushfire occurs within 48–72 hours of you buying your policy (the argument is that you could have bought your insurance only after you found out your home was in the path of an existing fire).
  • Damage from ash, soot or smoke caused by a fire away from your home (you'll only be covered for ash, soot and smoke if the fire damaged your house).
  • Your house didn't comply with fire regulations (for example, you have a wood heater that was not installed according to regulations).
  • The fire was intentional.
  • It was caused by negligence.
  • There was no flame.

How much fire insurance do you need?

This depends on the value of your house and the contents inside it. When you take out a policy, you'll generally need to work out how much it would cost to replace or rebuild everything you own. In insurance terms, this is known as your 'nominated sum insured'.

It's especially important to do this if you live in a bushfire prone area because it will prevent you from being underinsured. For example, if your home is insured for $1 million but it's really worth $2 million, you'd be out of pocket $1 million if a fire completely destroyed it.

There are two ways you can avoid doing this (you'll find them included in many home insurance policies):

  • Total replacement cover. This covers all costs if your home is completely destroyed by a fire or bushfire.
  • Sum insured safeguard. If the amount you insure your home for isn't enough to repair or replace everything if a fire or bushfire destroys it, this safeguard increases it by up to a certain amount (usually around 25%).

Here's the bottom line

While most people are generally safe from fires and bushfires, it's not a given. Anyone can fall victim to a malfunctioning toaster or rogue candle. The damage can be financially crippling which is why getting covered by home insurance is so important.

More guides on Finder

    Ask an Expert

    You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

    • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
    • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
    • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
    • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

    Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
    Go to site