Debit cards with a platinum concierge service
Concierge services are a great way to save time, but while they are popular with credit cards they are rarely seen in debit cards.
Concierge services are usually offered as a complimentary feature on high end credit cards, but are not usually associated with debit cards. Though some debit cards have limited concierge services available for their holders.
What is a debit card with a concierge service?
A concierge service is similar to a personal assistant as they can handle your requests. Usually they do small but time consuming things to help you save time. These could include things like sending flowers, tracking an item or booking travel tickets. However, concierge services are not entirely dedicated to you, as they normally handle many requests from many cardholders.
What types of debit cards have a concierge service?
At the moment, there is only one debit card in the Australian market that offers a concierge service as a complimentary feature. The HSBC Premier Debit card gives you access to the Visa Platinum Concierge service 24/7 to help you with any requests such as;
- Travel assistance such as flight and hotel accommodation
- Information and reservations about car rentals and limousine services
- Sport and entertainment services
- Business services
- Shopping and locating a particular item
How does a concierge service work?
If your debit card comes with a concierge service, then upon application you will be notified whether or not you have access to this service. If you do, then your debit card provider would have provided you with the appropriate phone numbers you can contact to make your special requests. During your request, your concierge will notify you of any costs and what options you have before confirming your purchase or request.
A concierge service can help you with almost everything, provided, of course, that the request is legal.
What are the pros and cons of a debit card with a concierge service?
- Someone to handle your requests. Concierge services are helpful when you don’t have the time or knowledge to organise events yourself, such as organising a holiday in a particular country or a business trip. They can also help with simple and easy requests when you just don’t have the time.
- Normally comes with other services. As well as a concierge service, these cards will often come with other complimentary insurances such as extended warranty, price protection, purchase protection and international travel insurance.
- Rare. At the moment, only the HSBC Premier Visa Platinum Debit card offers a concierge services for its cardholders. The transaction account that it’s linked to comes with a relatively high monthly fee.
- Higher fees. These type of cards tend to be linked with full service transaction accounts and have relatively high fees.
DID YOU KNOWYou can still get a concierge service with your debit card even if its not a built-in feature. The downside is that it’s probably more expensive than the fee that you pay to maintain your transaction account linked to your debit card. Sites such as Utilise My Time and Someone Life Services are external concierge services that you pay for with your debit card, and receive the same, if not better, service.
What kind of services do they offer?
- House and garden
- Business and finance
- Personal and gift shopping
What are things to avoid?
A concierge service should only be used when you need and can afford the services. While this feature is handy, you pay for it within your high service fee linked to your debit card. Concierge services are designed for those who don’t have enough time and need the extra helping hand.
Frequently asked questions
So if you aren't looking to spend on your credit card, but still want the benefits of a concierge service, it's refreshing to know that you can still get access to this premium credit card service.
Ask an Expert