Blue Badge Insurance
Comprehensive motor vehicle and mobility equipment insurance for people with disabilities.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Blue Badge Insurance is an independence and mobility insurance specialist. It offers a range of tailored insurance products for people with disabilities or limited mobility, including car insurance for converted vehicles and people with disability parking permits as well as comprehensive insurance for mobility scooters and wheelchairs.
The Pacific International Insurance Pty Ltd. insures these policies. Read on to find out more about the type of cover and benefits they offer.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Blue Badge insurance website or compare car insurance from a bunch of other insurance companies with Finder.
What policies are available?
There are two types of cover available from Blue Badge Insurance:
- Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance. This policy is for people who regularly use a disability parking permit, and for vehicles that have been converted for a driver or passengers with a disability. It covers you for the accidental theft and damage of your vehicle and includes a new-for-old replacement option for disability conversions. It also includes up to $20 million legal liability cover for causing damage to other people’s property, provides a rental car following theft and covers your personal belongings and assistive technology (eg, wheelchairs and walkers) while they are in the vehicle.
- Comprehensive Mobility Equipment Insurance. This insurance provides protection for wheelchairs and mobility scooters. It covers accidental damage and theft as well as your legal liability. Benefits include new-for-old replacement on scooters and wheelchairs up to two years old, automatic cover if you take your mobility equipment overseas and the cost of returning you home following accidental damage or theft.
From this point on, this review will focus on the benefits provided by Blue Badge Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance.
What’s covered by Blue Badge Insurance?
Check the list below for details of the benefits provided by Blue Badge Insurance Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance:
- Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance.
- Agreed or market value cover
- Your choice of repairer
- Lifetime repair guarantee
- 21-day money-back guarantee
- $5,000 cover for assistive technology (wheelchair, walkers, mobility scooter etc.) while it is in your car
- New-for-old replacement option for disability conversions
- Rental car for up to 28 days following theft
- Covers family, friends, carers or support workers who drive your car
- $1,000 cover for carer’s/support worker’s tools of trade
- Monthly payment options available
Are there any additional options available?
The following additional options are available with Blue Badge Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance for an extra premium:
- Excess-free windscreen and glass. If you make a claim for accidental damage or theft that is limited to the windscreen, side windows, rear windows or sunroof, you won’t need to pay an excess for the first insured incident.
- Rental car following accidental damage. If your vehicle suffers accidental damage, Blue Badge Insurance will provide $150 cover per day for a rental car, up to a maximum of 28 days.
- Blue Badge Roadside Assistance. This benefit allows you to access 24-hour roadside assistance provided by Digicall Assist, designed to rectify a wide range of common breakdown-related problems.
General exclusions to be aware of
Your Blue Badge Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance claim will not be paid in the following situations:
- Your vehicle was being driven by an unlicensed driver.
- Your vehicle was being driven by someone under the influence of drugs or exceeding the legal blood-alcohol limit.
- Your vehicle was being used unlawfully.
- Your vehicle was being used as a courier, delivery service or to carry passengers for hire, fare or reward.
- Your vehicle was being used for any motor sport.
- Your vehicle was being used to carry more passengers or to tow a load greater than it was designed for.
- Your vehicle was being used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition.
- Your vehicle was not locked or you did not take reasonable steps to protect it.
- Your vehicle was being driven while unregistered.
- Your claim is for pre-existing damage, faulty workmanship or incomplete repairs incurred before the incident.
- It is for tyre damage caused by braking, punctures, cuts and bursts.
- It is for damage due to wear and tear, rust or corrosion.
- It is for mechanical, electrical or computer breakdown.
Check the product disclosure statement for a full list of general exclusions that apply.
Blue Badge Insurance excess
The excess is the amount you must contribute towards the cost of a claim. Any excesses and their amounts will be shown on your certificate of insurance.
Blue Badge Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance features the following excesses:
- Basic excess. This is the first amount you must pay towards each claim.
- Young driver excess. This excess must be paid if, at the time of an incident, your vehicle was being driven by someone under 25 years of age. It is payable in addition to the basic excess.
- Undeclared young driver excess. This excess must be paid if, at the time of an incident, your vehicle was being driven by someone under 25 years of age who was not shown on your policy as a listed driver. It is payable in addition to the basic excess and the young driver excess.
- Inexperienced driver excess. This excess must be paid if, at the time of an incident, your vehicle was being driven by someone 25 years of age or older who has not held an Australian driver’s licence for at least two years. It is payable in addition to the basic excess.
How to save on your Blue Badge Insurance policy
There are several simple things you can do to reduce your Blue Badge Comprehensive Motor Vehicle Insurance premium:
- Don’t add any options. Make sure you only add extra-cost options to your policy that you actually need.
- Choose a higher excess. By adjusting your excess higher, you’ll receive cheaper premiums.
- Take advantage of discounts. If you hold a disability parking permit, you can access a premium discount of up to 25%.
- Be a safe driver. If you’ve never made a car insurance claim in the past, you’ll benefit from cheaper premiums in the future.
Making a claim
If you need to make a claim under your Blue Badge Insurance policy, it’s important to contact the insurer as soon as possible by phoning 1300 304 802. You’ll need to provide the full details of what happened, and the Blue Badge Insurance staff will then manage your claim right through to settlement.
You may be required to complete a claim form, and you’ll need to supply any documentation the insurer needs to process your claim. This may include receipts, proof of ownership, letters, documents and valuations.
Some final questions you might have
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder BBL live and match preview
The Sixers and Thunder clash in the biggest Sydney Derby in the history of the Big Bash League.
Where to watch Harry Potter: Hogwarts Tournament of Houses online
Who will be declared House Cup Champion?
How to watch Ray Donovan: The Movie online in Australia
Will Mickey Donovan finally die in this wrap-up movie?
RAT scams: How to avoid getting conned with rapid antigen tests
Don't fall for the scam artists when you're trying to protect your health - here's what to check.
How to do a COVID-19 test at home for international travel
Here's where you can book COVID-19 at-home tests approved for travel and how they work.
Where to shop every product in Kiernan Shipka’s beauty routine
We've rounded up everything you need to nail the 'date-worthy' makeup look, including some affordable dupes.
American Express Corporate Gold Card
Designed for big companies, this Amex charge card offers a mix of management tools and perks – including a 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards offer.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Beauty Product of the Week: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer
We tried the viral Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer and spoiler alert, it's the bee's knees.
Where to watch Hotel Transylvania 4 online for free in Australia
Drac and the Pack are back, like you’ve never seen them before.
Ask an Expert