The BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card offers worldwide acceptance through the Visa card network and can be added to Apple Pay or Google Pay. If you choose to earn Qantas Points, it also offers complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership, saving you $99.50 on the standard joining fee. But its 20.5% p.a. purchase rate means you’ll typically get more value from it if you pay the total account balance in full each month to make use of interest-free days on purchases.
BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card
- Balance transfer rate with no balance transfer fee
- 20.5% p.a.
- Purchase rate
- 20.5% p.a.
- Reward points per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $150 p.a.
Earn up to 1 point per $1 on overseas purchases and 0.5/$1 on domestic purchases
Complimentary travel insurance, concierge and Front Line Access
Up to 9 additional cardholders at no extra cost
Charges a 3.2% transaction fee for purchases made overseas or online in a foreign currency.
Points cap of 5,000 per month before the lower 0.25/$1 earn rate kicks in is relatively low
|Product Name||BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card|
|Balance transfer rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Purchase rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Min credit limit||$6,000|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
|Rewards program||Qantas / Velocity Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||0.5|
|Rewards points cap||5,000|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $20, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$0|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.2%|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$0|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||9|
How to apply
You can apply for the BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card online through a secure application form on the BOQ Specialist website. To get started, check that you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the details and documents needed for the application.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $60,000 per year.
- Profession. You can apply for this card if you work in a medical, dental or veterinary profession, are studying in one of these fields or if you are a qualified accountant.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, date of birth, email address, contact number, residential address and driver's licence number.
- Professional membership. BOQ Specialist has a number of partner associations that it supports, including the Australian Dental Association, Australian Medical Association, Australian Veterinary Association, General Practice Registrars Association and Certified Practising Accountants. If you're a member of one of the partner associations, you can include these details on the application.
- Frequent flyer details. You need to choose between earning Qantas Points or Velocity Points, then provide your frequent flyer membership details for that program.
- Employment details. This includes your current job title, term of employment, salary and employer's contact details. You may also need to provide recent payslips or ATO tax assessment notices to verify these details.
- Financial information. This includes any other forms of income, such as superannuation or investments, along with shares, savings and other assets. You also need to share details of any existing debts, loans, cards or other liabilities, as well as an estimate of your household spending on essentials such as groceries, mortgage payments and bills.
- Frequent flyer points per $1 spent. The BOQ Specialist Platinum earns 0.5 Qantas Points or Velocity Points per $1 on eligible purchases in Australia up to 5,000 points per statement period, then 0.25 points per $1 for the rest of that statement period. It also earns 1 Qantas Point per $1 on eligible international spending. Eligible spending covers most everyday purchases but excludes transactions such as cash advances, balance transfers, BPAY payments, account fees, payments to the ATO and other government transactions.
- Complimentary travel insurance. This card gives you access to domestic and overseas travel insurance for you and eligible family members when you meet the requirements. For domestic travel, this includes using the card to pay for at least $500 of domestic accommodation or the full cost of a return domestic flight. And for international travel, it includes paying for the entire return ticket with your card. As with any insurance, make sure you read the policy document available through the BOQ Specialist website for full details.
- Purchase insurance covers. The BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card also offers card purchase cover for theft or damage of new, eligible items you buy with it. And buyer's advantage cover that gives you a way to get refunded on the difference in price for eligible items you buy in-store, then see at a lower price at another nearby store.
- Platinum Visa benefits. You can save time on travel and event bookings with the Visa Platinum Concierge service and get access to exclusive, premium ticket offers through Visa Front Line. Visa also offers wide range of hotel benefits, retail offers and other perks, with the latest deals available on its website.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card has an annual fee of $150 p.a. Make sure you consider this cost when weighing up the potential value you'll get from points and perks.
- Purchase interest rate. The 20.5% p.a. purchase rate on this card is similar to the interest rates on other frequent flyer credit cards. But it will quickly add up if you carry a balance. So, if you're planning to pay off purchases over a few months, you may want to compare low rate options as well.
- Interest free days. The BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the full closing balance by the due date on your statement. This means that interest-free days are not available when you're paying off a balance transfer.
- Cash advance rate. An interest rate of 20.5% p.a. applies for cash advances from the date of the transaction.
- International transaction fee. A fee of 3.2% applies to transactions made overseas or online in a foreign currency.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
January 18, 2016
How do I roughly work out how much interest I would pay if I transferred $600 from my credit card into another account & paid it back within 3 weeks? Thanks
January 22, 2016
Thanks for your inquiry.
There is currently no balance transfer offer for BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card. You may need to contact BOQ Specialist directly to verify if they can accept balance transfer for a short term such as 3 weeks.
You may also find a comparison of balance transfer credit cards that offer 0% interest to see how much you could save on interest with each offer. Please ensure to read through the relevant product disclosure statement and terms and conditions of the credit card to ensure that you got everything covered before you apply.
I hope this helps.
Show more Show less