Receive a complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and earn Qantas Points on your everyday spending.
At the time of applying for the BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card, you have the choice of linking it to either the Qantas or Velocity frequent flyer programs. For the purpose of this review, we will focus on Qantas. If you’re interested in the Velocity option, please check out the Velocity review.
BOQ Specialist products are designed for medical, dental and veterinary professionals. The BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card enables you to earn rewards through the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. The premium benefits don't end with rewards — cardholders get a comprehensive complimentary insurance package, access to a 24/7 concierge service, and the services of Visa Front Line Access.
|Product Name||BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card with Qantas|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.50% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$150 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||20.50% p.a.|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3.2% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Annual fee||$150 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2% or $20, whichever is the greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$0|
|Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee||$0|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||8|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||0.5|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||Uncapped|
BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card Review
If you’re a member of the Qantas frequent flyer program, or wish to become one, this card gives you a complimentary membership and Qantas Points for every $1 of eligible transactions. Any purchases you make receive protection through various insurance covers, and you can also take advantage of different travel insurance covers.
- Rewards. Every $1 you spend on eligible purchases in Australia earns 0.5 Qantas points, and every $1 spent on international eligible purchases earns 1 Qantas point. For Qantas purchases made in Australia, you will also earn 1 additional point per $1 spent. Membership to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program for BOQ Specialist cardholders is free.
- Complimentary insurance covers. Purchases you make using your Platinum card receive complimentary cover through purchase security insurance, extended warranty insurance, and best price guarantee. Other complimentary insurance covers you can make use of include golfer’s insurance, global hire car excess waiver, transport accident insurance, overseas travel insurance, and domestic flight inconvenience insurance.
- Concierge service. This round-the-clock global service can help you make reservations for restaurants, you can turn to it to book flight tickets and make hotel reservations, it can assist you in choosing and sending gifts, and it also offers various work-related services.
BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card Features
- Annual fee. Using this platinum credit card requires that you pay an annual fee of $150 for the life of the card.
- Rewards. There is no cap on the number of Qantas points you can earn. With your points, you can access travel rewards and entertainment rewards, or choose from an array of merchandise.
- Complimentary insurance covers. You get various travel insurance covers when you use this card to book return travel tickets, and certain other insurance covers provide protection to purchases made using this card.
- Interest-free days. You can get as many as 55 interest-free days on purchases if you pay your account’s closing balance in full every month, before the due date specified on your statement.
- Concierge service. A global concierge service is in place to provide assistance in spheres like travel, entertainment, and work.
- Front Line Access. This service gives you the ability to reserve tickets for concerts, live shows, and sporting events, before they go on sale.
- Card security. While Orion monitors your account activity for suspicious transactions and notifies you upon detecting any, Verified by Visa provides additional security when your card details are used for transactions online.
How to apply for the BOQ Specialist Platinum Credit Card
To apply for this card, you can submit an online application or getting in touch with BOQ Specialist Bank directly.
- You are a permanent resident of Australia.
- You are over 18 years of age.
- You earn at least $60,000 p.a.
- Personal details like your driver’s license number, marital status, and number of dependents
- Employment-related information like your employment status, profession, and your employer’s name and contact details
- Financial details surrounding your income, assets, and liabilities
Applying for this card can make sense if you plan to make use of the rewards program and other extras, but since this is not the only card of its kind, it can be a good idea to compare it with similar offerings before deciding.Back to top