The AMP Notice Account is a high interest savings account, structured to limit your access the way a term deposit does. The big difference being that you can release your funds when you want, simply by giving AMP notice ahead of time. This gives you the higher interest earning benefit without the risk of paying fees if you suddenly find a good use for your saved money.
What are the features of the AMP Notice Account?
The features of a Notice Account will make a difference in how much it benefits your financial future. Compare them amongst various Australian banks before choosing an account to tuck your savings into:
- Monthly account keeping fees. There are no account keeping fees deducted from your AMP Notice Account.
- Interest rates. The interest rate is variable, and competitively set at a minimum margin above the Reserve Bank Australia cash rate.
- Interest calculation. Interest is calculated on your daily balance and paid into the account monthly, allowing for you to earn more with compound interest.
- Deposits. With this account you can continue to make as many deposits as you like without penalty.
- Withdrawals. In order to make a withdrawal from the Notice Account you must give AMP at least 31 days notice of your intent. You will have to make a minimum withdrawal of $500, unless your account balance is less than that amount. Up to two withdrawals are allowed each month. Notice to make a withdrawal can be done using secure message online at My AMP, BankFax, Bank Assistance or by writing AMP a letter.
- Accessibility. You will need to link a separate AMP Bank Deposit Account to this one from which you will make your deposits and withdrawals through transfers. There is also the option of making deposits with a cheque.
- Availability. This account is available for individuals and joint account holders for personal use, businesses, companies and trusts.
- Deposits can be made through cheque or electronic transfers
- Earn a competitive interest rate
- No ongoing monthly fees
- Requires at least 31 days notice to access
How do I apply for the AMP Notice Account?
You can visit AMP website to download an application for the AMP Notice Account. There are specific applications available depending on your circumstance, so ensure that you are accessing the correct one. Before you begin, look over the following eligibility requirements to ensure that you qualify for this account:
- Minimum age. There are no minimum age requirements for this account, however a parent or guardian must act as a signatory for a minor account holder under the age of 13. A minor aged 13 or more may be nominated as a signatory for the account provided that they are able to meet the other requirements.
- Residency requirements. All applicants must be Australian residents who can confirm their presence in Australia at the time the account is activated.
- Depository requirements. You are not required to make a minimum opening deposit with the Notice Account.
The application will also call for certain information that you may need to confirm using the following documentation:
- Tax file number. AMP will ask for your tax file number (TFN) or exemption code, but you are not obligated to provide it. This is used to determine the correct withholding tax rate to apply to your interest earnings, but without it AMP is bound to apply the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. A passport or driver’s licence will have the information needed by AMP to verify your identity.
- Bank account information. In order to operate the Notice Account you must hold another account with AMP. You will need to provide the account number so that these two can be linked and you can make your transfers.
Once you have completed the application in its entirety, you can then send it to AMP for review either by fax or through the Australian post. After your identity has been verified to AMP’s satisfaction, the Notice Account will be activated and the details sent to you. You will then be able to transfer cash into the account and begin earning the higher interest rate.