Earn 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards when you meet the spend requirements and manage your corporate costs with the Amex Business Explorer credit card.
The American Express Business Explorer is Amex’s debut credit card designed to suit businesses. Unlike an Amex business charge card, the Business Explorer credit card allows cardholders to manage their cash flow with a revolving line of credit. This card also allows cardholders to earn Membership Rewards on business expenses, enjoy airline lounge passes and save with complimentary insurance.
|Product Name||American Express Business Explorer Credit Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Gateway|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||16.99% p.a.|
|Offer end date||2 July 2018|
|Annual fee||$395 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Annual fee||$395 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30 whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Cash Advance Fee||$2.50 or 2% of the cash advance amount (whichever is greater)|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||99|
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 on your card within the first 3 months of card membership.
- Interest rate of 16.99% p.a.
- Receive two entries per calendar year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport.
- Get up to 55 days interest-free on purchases.
- Complimentary travel insurance is included.
- High annual fee of $395
- American Express is not as widely accepted as Mastercard or Visa
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Gateway|
|Bonus Points||100,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||2|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
Review of the American Express Explorer Business credit card
The American Express Business Explorer card rewards cardholders as they make business purchases. If you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first three months, you’ll earn 100,000 bonus points. You’ll also earn up to 2 Membership Rewards per $1 spent on purchases, which you can redeem for gift cards, travel packages or frequent flyer points to reward yourself or your employees. The card has a purchase interest rate of 16.99% p.a., but you can enjoy up to 55 interest-free days if you pay your balance in full. With up to 99 additional cardholders and MYOB business reporting systems, you can use the card to organise your corporate costs under a single account.
Benefits of the American Express Explorer Business credit card
- 100,000 bonus points. You can give your points balance a boost of 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards when you apply by 2 July 2018, receive approval and spend $3,000 in the first three months.
- Membership Rewards Gateway program. You’ll also earn 2 Membership Rewards per $1 spent on purchases and 0.5 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on government costs (such as ATO transactions). You can redeem these rewards to pay for purchases with points, gift cards or purchases via David Jones or Ticketmaster. If you prefer frequent flyer points, you can also exchange your Membership Rewards for points with eight frequent flyer programs including Velocity, Emirates Skywards, Air New Zealand Airpoints, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Etihad Guest.
- Business Loyalty Bonus. If you spend at least $100,000 within 12 months of your approval date, you’ll also receive a business loyalty bonus of 50,000 Membership Rewards.
- Additional cardholders. You can manage your employee expenses under one account with up to 99 additional cardholders for no extra fee.
- Complimentary insurances. If you use your card to pay for business travel, you’ll enjoy complimentary travel insurance on domestic and international trips. This includes cover for damaged or stolen baggage, money or documents, medical emergency expenses, delayed flights and travel disruption. Please see the insurance policy document for more details on what’s covered, the eligibility requirements and how you can make a claim.
- Airline lounge passes. You’ll receive two entries to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport per calendar year.
- Expense tracking technology. You can take advantage of an automatic transaction data feed with MYOB, making it easier to monitor and manage your corporate expenses under the single account.
- Mobile wallets. As an American Express product, you can also take advantage of Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay to use your smartphone to make contactless payments at the checkout.
- American Express AccessLine. You don’t have to worry about your Amex being accepted by domestic and international supplies with AccessLine. Even if a supplier or merchant doesn’t accept American Express, AccessLine processes the payment for a surcharge.
Rates and fees of the American Express Business Explorer credit card
- Annual fee. This card has an annual fee of $395 which can be tax deductible if you use the card exclusively for business expenses.
- Purchase rate. This card has a purchase rate of 16.99% p.a. This card can’t be used for ATM withdrawals or cash advances, so no cash advance rates apply.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can avoid the purchase rate and enjoy up to 55 interest-free days.
- Minimum repayment amount. Cardholders are required to pay a minimum repayment of 2.5% or $30 of the closing balance each statement period.
How to apply for the American Express Business Explorer credit card
If you’ve compared your options and decided to apply for the American Express Business Explorer card, make sure you’ve met the eligibility requirements and organised the necessary information before you apply.
- Are you 18? Applicants must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Do you have a good credit history? You must have a sound credit history with no evidence of payment defaults to receive approval.
- What is your residential status? You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.
- How much do you earn each year? You must earn a personal gross (pre-tax) annual income of $24,000 or more.