Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz or AAMI? See how their policies compare.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
To help you decide, we've picked out the main differences between Allianz and AAMI's comprehensive car insurance policies. See how their benefit limits, features and exclusions compare.
What are the main differences between Allianz car insurance and AAMI policies?
Below are some of the main differences between the two providers.
- Accidental death benefit. With Allianz, if you suffer an injury that results in your accidental death, it will pay your estate $25,000. It's one of the few car providers to offer this benefit.
- Rental car after theft. Allianz will pay you $100 a day for up to 21 days to go towards a rental car if your vehicle is stolen. AAMI also provides this benefit but it only pays up to $1,000 in total over 21 days.
- Emergency repairs. AAMI comes out on top for this one, with $1,000 towards emergency repairs compared to Allianz's benefit of $500.
- Emergency travel and accommodation costs. AAMI also has a higher benefit limit for this, providing you with $250 more than Allianz.
- Personal property. AAMI also reimburses more than Allianz for personal property: $1,000 compared to $750.
How do they compare side by side?
|About the provider|
Allianz is a European multinational financial services company and one of Australia's largest insurance providers
AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, which also provides insurance for brands such as Suncorp, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Bingle. It provides car, home, travel, life and business insurance
Allianz underwrites its own policies
Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage, Fire & Theft & Third Party Property Damage
Comprehensive & Third Party Property Damage
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement|
|Trailer and caravan cover|
|No claim discount|
Yes (Safe Driver Benefits)
Yes (AAMI Safe Driver Rewards®)
|More info||More info|
What benefits do Allianz and AAMI policies come with?
Here are some of the benefits of both policies:
- Keys replacement/recoding. With both Allianz and AAMI, you'll get up to $1,000 to replace or re-code your vehicle's keys.
- No claim discount. Both Allianz and AAMI provide a type of no claim bonus. Allianz's is called Safe Driver Benefits. Every two years of claims-free insurance will give you an extra star, until you've achieved the maximum six-star rating, which comes with a 15% discount and Allianz Star Rating Protection. With this, you won't lose a star for your first at-fault claim in a policy year. You can also purchase Allianz Star Rating Protection. AAMI Safe Driver Rewards® has tiers rewarding drivers for each year they don't make a claim. One is a discount off AAMI Roadside Assistance. You also get a Safe Driver Rewards credit.
How do their exclusions compare?
Like most providers, both Allianz and AAMI policies contain similar general exclusions. This includes no cover for pre-existing damage, consequential loss and for loss or damage resulting from any illegal activities, including being intoxicated while driving.
However, AAMI does not cover your tools or any items used for your business, trade or profession. You can add tools of trade to your Allianz policy. For a full list of exclusions, always read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
What companies does each underwriter work with?
Allianz underwrites its own policies and AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network. Allianz is a European multinational financial services company that is headquartered in Munich while the Suncorp Network consists of various other insurance brands such as Bingle, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Suncorp. AAMI car insurance is underwritten by AAI Limited, a joint initiative between Good Shepherd Microfinance and the Suncorp Group.
More guides on Finder
Travel insurance for seniors over 80
Travel insurance is an essential expense for anyone planning a trip overseas, though sometimes it can be difficult to find cover if you are over 80 years of age.
Travel Cancellation Insurance
Planning a holiday is a lot of fun, but what happens when something goes wrong and your plans are thrown into disarray? Cancellation travel insurance protects your holiday plans.
Should I tell my life insurance company that I smoke?
Find out how smoking will impact what you pay for life insurance, and what you can do to have your premium reviewed.
What to do after a car accident
Would you know what to do if you were involved in a car accident? This guide looks at the steps to take after an accident has occurred, from securing the scene to making a claim with your insurer.
How much TPD insurance should I have?
Find out what exactly TPD insurance covers and how to determine an appropriate level of cover to give adequate protection in the event of disablement.
Junk insurance: Are you due a refund? (and how to claim money back)
Class actions are currently underway against CBA, Westpac, Allianz and MTA – here's how to find out if you're eligible to claim any money back.
Term Life Insurance in Australia
Find out how term life insurance actually works and receive quotes for cover securely.
Compare cat insurance from popular Australian insurers to get more for your money and protect your cat from injuries or illnesses.
Use our comparison tool to compare dog insurance from top Australian brands, so you can get the most for your money.
Ask an Expert