Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz or AAMI? See how their policies compare.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
To help you decide, we've picked out the main differences between Allianz and AAMI's comprehensive car insurance policies. See how their benefit limits, features and exclusions compare.
What are the main differences between Allianz car insurance and AAMI policies?
Below are some of the main differences between the two providers.
- Accidental death benefit. With Allianz, if you suffer an injury that results in your accidental death, it will pay your estate $25,000. It's one of the few car providers to offer this benefit.
- Rental car after theft. Allianz will pay you $100 a day for up to 21 days to go towards a rental car if your vehicle is stolen. AAMI also provides this benefit but it only pays up to $1,000 in total over 21 days.
- Emergency repairs. AAMI comes out on top for this one, with $1,000 towards emergency repairs compared to Allianz's benefit of $500.
- Emergency travel and accommodation costs. AAMI also has a higher benefit limit for this, providing you with $250 more than Allianz.
- Personal property. AAMI also reimburses more than Allianz for personal property: $1,000 compared to $750.
How do they compare side by side?
|About the provider|
Allianz is a European multinational financial services company and one of Australia's largest insurance providers
AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, which also provides insurance for brands such as Suncorp, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Bingle. It provides car, home, travel, life and business insurance
Allianz underwrites its own policies
Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage, Fire & Theft & Third Party Property Damage
Comprehensive & Third Party Property Damage
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement|
|Trailer and caravan cover|
|No claim discount|
Yes (Safe Driver Benefits)
Yes (AAMI Safe Driver Rewards®)
|More info||More info|
What benefits do Allianz and AAMI policies come with?
Here are some of the benefits of both policies:
- Keys replacement/recoding. With both Allianz and AAMI, you'll get up to $1,000 to replace or re-code your vehicle's keys.
- No claim discount. Both Allianz and AAMI provide a type of no claim bonus. Allianz's is called Safe Driver Benefits. Every two years of claims-free insurance will give you an extra star, until you've achieved the maximum six-star rating, which comes with a 15% discount and Allianz Star Rating Protection. With this, you won't lose a star for your first at-fault claim in a policy year. You can also purchase Allianz Star Rating Protection. AAMI Safe Driver Rewards® has tiers rewarding drivers for each year they don't make a claim. One is a discount off AAMI Roadside Assistance. You also get a Safe Driver Rewards credit.
How do their exclusions compare?
Like most providers, both Allianz and AAMI policies contain similar general exclusions. This includes no cover for pre-existing damage, consequential loss and for loss or damage resulting from any illegal activities, including being intoxicated while driving.
However, AAMI does not cover your tools or any items used for your business, trade or profession. You can add tools of trade to your Allianz policy. For a full list of exclusions, always read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
What companies does each underwriter work with?
Allianz underwrites its own policies and AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network. Allianz is a European multinational financial services company that is headquartered in Munich while the Suncorp Network consists of various other insurance brands such as Bingle, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Suncorp. AAMI car insurance is underwritten by AAI Limited, a joint initiative between Good Shepherd Microfinance and the Suncorp Group.
More guides on Finder
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
Life insurance for stroke patients
How to get life insurance if you’ve had a stroke.
Life insurance if you have epilepsy
The ins and outs of life insurance if you have epilepsy.
Hybrid car insurance comparison
Compare hybrid car insurance quotes.
Washing machine insurance
No need to get in a spin – washing machine insurance has you and your clothes washer covered.
Find out the ins and outs of art insurance and what type of cover is right for you.
Ask an Expert