Youi vs Budget Direct Car Insurance
Youi and Budget Direct's policies offer several benefits: see which ones are best for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
There are lots of reasons to sign up to a policy with Youi or Budget Direct car insurance, but we're here to help you find the features that matter most to you.
If you want emergency roadside assistance or a hire car following an accident that wasn't your fault, Youi might be the car insurance provider for you. If savings matter to you, then Budget Direct's driver-age restrictions or low kilometres policy could be the way to go.
What differences are there between Youi and Budget Direct car insurance?
Here are some of the main differences between Youi and Budget Direct car insurance:
- Car hire following a not at fault car accident: If you have a comprehensive policy, Youi will provide you with a hire car if an accident with another vehicle causes loss or damage to your car where you are not at fault. This is an Optional extra with Budget Direct.
- Personal property. Youi will pay up to $750 ($150/item) while Budget Direct will cover you for up to $500 and also up to $500 for child seats or capsules while in the car. Baby seat replacement is covered under 'additions to the car' with Youi.
- Counselling services. Youi will also pay for the reasonable costs of counselling sessions with an accredited counsellor for a claim made in relation to your legal liability. The most they will pay for each claim is $1,500 per household member.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Youi include emergency roadside assistance with their comprehensive car insurance policy.
How do the brands compare?
|About the provider||Youi underwrites their own policies. They currently offer vehicel (car, motorocycle, caravan and trailer), home (building and contentns), watercraft and business liability insurance.||Budget Direct has been offering Simply Smarter insurance since 2000, insuring over 3 million Australians since then. They keep their prices low by avoiding covering high-risk drivers.|
|Underwriter||Youi Pty Ltd||Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd|
|State served||All states except NT||Australia wide|
|Products available||Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire and Theft, and Third Party Property Only||Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only|
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft||Reasonable costs (Max 14 days)||$1,000|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||$1,000||$1,000|
|New car replacement||Yes - If your car is written off or stolen in the first 2 years||Yes - If your car is written off in the first year or is under 20,000 km|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement||$1,000||$1,000|
|Trailer and caravan cover||$1,500||$1,000|
|No claim discount|
|Pay in full discount|
|Get quote||Get quote|
What benefits do they offer?
Both Budget Direct and Youi offer several benefits with their policies. Listed below are some of the main highlights:
- Low kilometres policy. Budget Direct will lower your premium if travel less than 12,000km a year in your car.
- Driver-age restriction. Budget Direct also let you restrict your policy to drivers over a certain age to lower your premiums, including drivers aged 21+, 25+, 30+, 40+ or 50+.
- New car replacement. If you purchased a new car and it becomes a total loss in less than 2 years or before you have driven 40,000 km, Budget Direct will replace it with a new car of the same make, model and specification wherever possible. They will also pay the first 12 months registration.
- Tailored cover. With Youi car insurance, you can tailor your cover to suit your needs through a range of additional benefits including theft of tools, hire car replacement and emergency roadside assistance.
- Online Discounts. You'll receive a 15% discount on your first year's premium for a new policy purchased online with Budget Direct.
- Hail alert service. Budget Direct's hail alert service, Hail Hero, is available to all policyholders to help you avoid damaging your car in a storm.
Who is the underwriter for Youi and Budget Direct?Youi Pty Ltd is a registered general insurance company which means that it underwrites its own policies. They are regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) and Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) and are part of OUTsurance International Holdings Pty Limited and Rand Merchant Insurance Holdings Group (RMIH), an international insurance provider.Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd underwrite Budget Direct's car insurance policies. Auto & General Insurance are part of the international BHL group and also provide insurance for brands such as Aus Post, Virgin, ING and Ozicare.
More guides on Finder
How to check car insurance
How to stay up to date with your car insurance and avoid any hassle.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Yes, you need car insurance to protect you from expensive bills following an accident.
Your comprehensive guide to getting trailer insurance for caravans, mobile homes and box trailers.
Road trip statistics Australia
Finder research found 42% of Australians, equivalent to 8.2 million people, are planning a domestic road trip over the next 6 months.
Toyota LandCruiser car insurance
A Toyota LandCruiser car insurance policy is around $138.43 a month. Compare 5+ policies side-by-side to see if you can get better value for your money.
Toyota HiAce insurance
The average Toyota HiAce comprehensive insurance policy is $107.21 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and find out if you could pay less.
Toyota Granvia insurance
The average Toyota Granvia comprehensive insurance policy is $127.36 a month. Compare 5+ policies, discounts and get covered for a hire car, personal effects and more.
Toyota C-HR car insurance
Toyota C-HR car insurance costs around $X a month. Compare 5+ policies to see if you could be paying less.
ROLLiN’ car insurance review
ROLLiN' is an IAG-backed car insurer offering a flexible comprehensive plan that's refreshingly free from faff.
Toyota RAV4 car insurance
The average insurance policy for a Toyota RAV4 is $105 a month. Compare 5+ policies and you could save.
Ask an Expert