You can earn Qantas points and protect your health at the same time with Qantas hospital only health insurance
Qantas hospital insurance is issued by nib, meaning you have the backing of a trusted health insurer combined with the benefits of your favourite frequent-flyer program.
Top 3 features
Promotions currently on offer from Qantas Health Insurance
What hospital cover is available?
Qantas offers five different levels of hospital insurance:
- Basic Hospital. Entry level cover for accidents, emergency ambulance and a few other basic hospital treatments like dental surgery and joint reconstructions.
- Bronze Hospital. Covers what basic hospital does plus a few additional treatments like broken bones and pain management. Good for healthy young people on a budget.
- Bronze Plus Hospital. Covers what Bronze does plus even more treatments like hearing implants and heart treatments.
- Silver Plus Hospital. Basically the highest level of cover you can get, but without cover for pregnancy and assisted reproductive services.
- Gold Hospital. The highest level of cover you can get. Covers everything all the other levels do, with the addition of pregnancy and assisted reproductive services.
|Basic||Bronze||Bronze Plus||Silver Plus||Gold|
|Hospital Psychiatric Services||Restricted||Restricted||Restricted||Restricted|
|Brain & Nervous System|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Male reproductive system|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Chemo, radio and immunotherapy cancer|
|Breast surgery (mc)|
|Diabetes management (excl insulin pumps)|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Lung and chest|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Pain management with device|
Other benefits of Qantas hospital cover
Qantas hospital cover offers a host of additional benefits including:
- Qantas points. You earn one Qantas point for every dollar you spend on premiums, plus you can earn more by using the Qantas Wellbeing app to track everyday activities like walking. You'll also earn points for joining or switching to Qantas and shopping with partner brands including Adidas, Fitness First and Rebel Sport.
- MediGap scheme. You can reduce your out-of-pocket treatment costs if you use one of Qantas' partner hospitals.
- Young person discount. You can save up to 10% if you take out your hospital policy before you turn 30. You will keep that discount until you are 40, at which point it decreases every year.
How do the costs work?
When you go to hospital, you will be required to pay the excess listed on your policy plus any out-of-pocket costs including any gap the doctor charges, doctors fees and incidentals like room service.
If you visit a Qantas Agreement hospital, you can have some or all of these out-of-pocket costs covered.
Waiting periods and limitations
Qantas has waiting periods on a number of services. These are:
- 1 day. Emergency ambulance and accidental injuries
- 2 months. General hospitalisation, in-hospital psychiatry, rehabilitation and palliative care
- 12 months. Pre-existing conditions and pregnancy/birth
You can have your waiting periods waived if you're transferring over from another policy where you already served the relevant waiting periods.
You can have your waiting periods waived for in-hospital psychiatry if you are upgrading from a policy without psychiatry to one that includes it.
How to make a claim
You can have your claim processed for most services by swiping your membership card on the spot. Otherwise, you can visit the Qantas online members portal, fill out the claim form and upload the appropriate invoices and receipts.