Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Foundation repair – how home insurance will help

Foundation repair is costly – but if you're covered for the event that caused the damage, your home insurance should kick in.

1 - 7 of 18
Name Product Is there cover for foundation repair? Temporary Accommodation Sum Insured Safeguard Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Fire, Storm & Theft Damage
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
10% of sum insured - up to 12 months
Our verdict: The most popular insurer on Finder, Budget Direct prioritises low-cost cover and gives you up to 30% off your first year for new combined policies purchased online. This is a big reason it won this year’s Finder Award for value.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
For a maximum of 12 months
Our verdict: Finder’s 2022 Insurer of the Year for Customer Satisfaction and our Top Pick for Fire Damage cover. It’s good if you want a tailored quote over the phone.
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
20% of buildings sum insured - 24 months
Our verdict: Finder's Top Pick for Floods plus cover for other common claims such as fire and theft). Its discount is better than most – 20% off your first year with a combined policy.
Bendigo Bank Gold Home & Contents Insurance
10% of sum insured - up to 12 months
Our verdict: A good option if you want a well regarded brand. All come with automatic flood cover and let you pay monthly or fortnightly at no extra cost.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
10% of home sum insured
Our verdict: Honey gives you $250 smart sensors to reduce accidents and estimates your rebuild costs for you. Honey was a finalist for the comprehensive category in this year’s Finder Awards.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent; or 10% of your building sum insured
Our verdict: Get up to 20% off when you buy a combined home and contents policy. Terms, conditions, underwriting criteria and minimum premiums apply, which may reduce discount. Make sure your rebuild costs are accurate though – Australian Seniors don’t do underinsurance cover.
Kogan Home & Contents Insurance
20% of buildings sum insured - 24 months
Our verdict: Good comprehensive cover (issued by QBE). Also, get 22% off on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online + $10 monthly credit. T&Cs apply.

When does home insurance cover foundation repair?

Foundation damage doesn't just happen by itself – something causes it. If your home insurance covers whatever caused the foundation damage, then it'll pay out for the foundation repairs too. Your product disclosure statement (PDS) will tell you everything your policy covers. Common inclusions are:

  • Fire
  • Impact (for example, a vehicle, or falling tree)
  • Theft
  • Vandalism or malicious damage
  • Earthquake or tsunami
  • Lightning
  • Storms and rainwater
  • Explosion
  • Escape of liquid
  • Floods (flood cover is often an add-on you'll need to pay extra for)

When won't home insurance cover foundation repair?

If your home insurance doesn't cover the event which caused the foundation damage, then it won't pay out for the repairs. What's covered by your policy will vary between different insurers – but some common exclusions are:

  • Normal wear and tear
  • Damage to your carelessness or neglect
  • Termite damage
  • Damage caused by your illegal behaviour
  • Pre-existing damage
  • Damage from natural events that you opted not to include
  • Faulty construction
  • Storm surges
  • Tree-root damage
  • Shifting soil

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

FAQs about foundation repair

More guides on Finder

  • Bushfire Statistics Australia

    Stats and facts on bushfires in Australia.

  • Home insurance WA

    Learn about the unique risks that Western Australia faces and how to get home insurance that is right for your circumstances.

  • Flood insurance

    Most home insurers automatically cover floods but make sure you take out cover at least 72 hours before an event.

  • Honey home insurance review

    Honey home insurance is a startup that's doing things a little differently.

  • Laptop insurance

    Here are several contents insurance options that will protect your laptop anywhere you take it.

  • Home fire insurance

    Fire insurance will help you replace your home and everything in it if you lose it all to fire.

  • How much does home insurance cost in Australia?

    Discover what impacts the cost of home insurance and how to get the right protection with this handy guide.

  • Home insurance WA

    Learn about the unique risks that Western Australia faces and how to get home insurance that is right for your circumstances.

  • Bushfire insurance

    Compare policies that cover bushfires, including smoke damage and accommodation due to evacuation.

  • Storm damage insurance

    Protect your home against storm, flood and rainwater damage with the help of this comprehensive guide.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site