We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Run for the benefit of its members, not-for-profit fund HCF provides four Hospital cover policies designed to suit people at different life stages. Plus there are great benefits you can take advantage of as a member on travel and pet insurance, too.
Top 3 features
- HCF is not-for-profit.
- Good for all life stages.
- Members are rewarded for their loyalty with additional benefits.
Compare more health insurance options
What HCF Hospital Cover policies are available?
- HCF Hospital Bronze Plus. Hospital cover designed for the healthy and budget conscious. It covers accidents, intensive care and accommodation, plus joint reconstructions, digestive system and more.
- HCF Hospital Standard Silver Plus. Affordable hospital cover for some common treatments including heart surgery, back, neck and spine plus more.
- HCF Hospital Silver Plus. Comprehensive hospital cover for those who don't need cover for pregnancy.
- HCF Hospital Gold. The HCF top hospital cover option aims to provide premium hospital health care protection and peace of mind to members.
|Benefit||HCF Hospital Bronze Plus||HCF Hospital Standard Silver Plus||HCF Hospital Silver Plus||HCF Hospital Gold|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Male reproductive system|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Lung and chest|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Pain management with device|
|Apply||Go to Site||Go to Site||Go to Site||Go to Site|
Other benefits of HCF Hospital Cover
HCF members receive a few attractive benefits.
- Telehealth services. Medicare is restricting who is allowed to get bulk-billed GP telehealth sessions. If you're not eligible, HCF will cover you.
- Member offers. After a month as an HCF member, you get access to their Thank You scheme. There are 4 tiers: Opal, Emerald, Ruby and Diamond which gives you money off places like Myer, JB Hi-Fi and Woolies.
- Pet insurance. If you have a pet, HCF members can save up to 15% on their pet insurance.
- Manage Your Health. You can also get access to a number of health management programs like weight management and mental health support.
- 100% back on popular extras. If you take out extras, you also get 100% back on up to 2 dental check ups per year, physio appointments, chiro or osteo appointments, a podiatrist appointments, prescription glasses and hearing aids with Blamey Saunders hears.
HCF also reward long-standing members.
- Diamond members. If you've been with HCF for over 25 years and have a top tier policy, you are rewarded with preferential servicing, a growing range of exclusive offers, VIP experiences and more.
- Ruby. If you've been with HCF for more than 14 years, you get access to special offers and rewards, exclusive access to unique events and more.
- Emerald. For 5 years service or more you can access an increasing range of discounts and privileges from HCF partner brands.
- Opal. Customers who have been with HCF for under 5 years are still rewarded with various exclusive offers and rewards.
How do the costs work?
Each policy is subject to excess when you visit hospital for the first time each year, with the choice of $250, $500 or $750. The higher your excess, the lower your premium.
HCF has agreements in place with many private hospitals to ensure their members won't face a gap for services covered by their policy. If you choose a non-participating public or private hospital, you could be charged some additional costs.
To check any out of pocket costs, HCF's cost indicator give an idea of typical costs for common hospital procedures.
The HCF Medicover scheme also allows members to search for no-gap doctors through Healthshare, to help you avoid gap costs that could be incurred from doctor, anaesthetist and surgeon fees.
Waiting periods and limitations
There are certain situations where your HCF hospital cover will not pay a benefit, including:
- Procedures excluded from your cover
- Elective cosmetic surgery
- Services for which Medicare does not pay a benefit
- Services received outside Australia
- Claims made two or more years after the date of service
- When you have the right to recover your medical costs from a third party other than HCF, for example through workers' compensation insurance
- Claims made when you are serving a waiting period
- Experimental treatments
- Treatment that HCF deems inappropriate or unreasonable
It's also worth remembering that waiting periods will apply when you sign up for HCF Hospital Cover. While you'll only have to serve a two-month waiting period before you can access most services, treatment for pre-existing conditions and for pregnancy or birth-related services will require you to wait 12 months.
How to make a claim
If you need to make an extras claim with HCF you can do so in five ways:
- On the spot by swiping your membership card at your provider
- On your smartphone with HCF's mobile app
- Online through the HCF website
- By visiting any HCF branch
- By filling out and posting in a claim form
You'll need to provide your full name, the service provider's details, the item number and description of the services you received, and the date and cost of those services. If you're admitted to hospital as an inpatient, your hospital should send the bill for your treatment directly to HCF on your behalf.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out on health insurance policy savings according to new Finder research.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder.
Cost of dentures
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
Weight loss surgery cost
Everything you need to know about weight surgery costs.
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Bronze (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Bronze (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Silver (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Silver (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Gold (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Gold (Hospital).
You might like these...
Ask an Expert