Looking to avoid hefty ambulance fees? Receive up to $5,000 cover with HCF Ambulance Cover.
The cost of receiving emergency transportation from an Ambulance is an expense often overlooked. With the cost of being transported in an Ambulance often being in the thousands of dollars, it's the last thing you want to worry about in an emergency. Protect yourself from the costs of an emergency trip in an ambulance by taking out ambulance cover with HCF. HCF is the largest not-for-profit health fund in Australia and provides nationwide coverage for the callout and transport costs charged by state ambulance services.
This review will explore exactly what is covered under the HCF Ambulance Cover and the additional benefits to consider.
How does HCF Ambulance Cover actually work?
Ambulance Cover from HCF is only available for residents of NSW and the ACT. It provides cover for emergency ambulance travel provided by state government services anywhere in Australia.
You also have an annual cover limit for medically necessary, non-emergency ambulance services where your doctor requires you to be transported by ambulance, for up to $5,000. This occurs in situations where your condition needs to be monitored and the right medical support provided while you are in transit.
This cover is offered for singles, couples, families and single parent families, and there is no need to pay upfront for the ambulance service you use once you're insured.
Ambulance Cover is available as a standalone policy or with Cash Back Cover. Cash Back Cover offers a cash benefit to help you cover additional expenses that arise when you are sick or injured. Available from $2 a week for singles, Cash Back Cover provides:
- A $5,000 benefit for accidents requiring surgery
- A $5,000 benefit for serious specified medical conditions including malignant cancer, chronic kidney failure, heart disease requiring bypass surgery, heart attack OR stroke
You’re also eligible to make multiple claims, up to a limit of $20,000 for singles and $40,000 for families.
Are there any additional benefits?
- Travel insurance discounts. HCF Travel Insurance, issued by QBE, is available at a 20% discount for HCF members.
- Pet insurance discounts. HCF Pet Insurance, issued by the Hollard Insurance Group, is also available at a 15% discount for HCF members.
- My Health Guardian. This handy online program provides a range of tools and resources to help you reach your health, wellbeing and weight loss goals.
- Healthy Weight for Life programs. HCF runs these structured 18-week programs to help you lose weight and keep it off.
Policy limitations, exclusions, waiting periods and excesses
Always check the conditions and the list of general exclusions to make sure you know what is and isn’t covered. HCF will not pay your claim if:
- The ambulance transport you receive does not meet the approved definition supplied in the PDS (For example, if it is for transport you receive when you are discharged from hospital)
- You are covered by another arrangement, such as a state government ambulance subscription scheme
- It is for transfers between hospitals
- It is for transport provided by an ambulance service not recognised by HCF
Are there waiting periods?
There are waiting periods which apply when you take out HCF Ambulance Cover. A one-day waiting period applies to emergency ambulance. There is a two-month waiting period for medically necessary non-emergency ambulance. If you require ambulance transport or treatment for a pre-existing ailment or condition, keep in mind that you will have to serve a 12-month waiting period.
How much does HCF Ambulance Cover cost?
- There are several factors that can influence how much HCF Ambulance Cover costs:
- Whether you take out a single policy or a couples, family or single parent family policy.
- Whether you live in NSW or the ACT.
- Your age and income have an impact on the amount of Australian Government private health insurance rebate you are entitled to.
Some final questions you might have
Is there an option for overseas visitors?
For overseas visitors who are working in Australia and do not qualify for regular private health cover, HCF offers its Overseas Visitor Health Cover. This comprehensive policy provides protection for visitors here for business purposes and people in Australia on a 417, 419, 456, 457, 405 or 422 visa. It covers accommodation and treatment costs for a range of conditions at public and private hospitals and is also available with optional extras cover.
Interested in applying for cover with HCF?
If you want financial protection against the potential cost if you ever need ambulance transportation, consider the features and benefits offered by HCF Ambulance Cover. Compare it with similar policies from other health funds to decide whether or not this type of cover is right for you. You can make a secure enquiry with an insurance consultant by filling out the form located above. A consultant will help you compare different options available and provide you with a no obligation quote for cover.