Find out whether HBF hospital and extras cover is right for you.
HBF offers a range of hospital and extras cover options that you can mix and match so you can have the combined for hospital and general treatment.
April 2019 HBF update
As part of the recent government reforms to the private health insurance industry, HBF have introduced a range of new policies for customers. As a result, they no longer offer pre-packaged policies. However, you can still mix and match your hospital and extras cover. With 5 hospital and extras cover options to choose from, you now have the flexibility to choose what suits you best.
What combined options does HBF offer?
Following the health insurance reforms, HBF is not currently offering prepackaged policy options. However, you can still combine your hospital and extras options:
Compare HBF hospital policies
- Basic Hospital Plus. This meets the government's requirement for Basic cover by offering restricted cover for psychiatry, rehabilitation and palliative care. However, it goes well beyond that by providing full cover for all additional 5 clinical categories including joint reconstructions, dental surgery and gynaecology.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. Provides full cover all 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze label, plus full cover for additional categories like sleep studies, medically necessary plastic surgery and back/neck/spine treatments.
- Silver Hospital. This policy includes the cover for the 26 clinical categories required to be labeled a silver policy plus a few more like insulin pumps and full instead of restricted cover for palliative care.
- Silver Hospital Plus. This covers everything the Silver policy does plus a few more like cataracts, joint replacements and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation.
- Gold Hospital. This is the highest level of hospital insurance and includes all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label.
|Benefits||Basic Hospital Plus||Bronze Hospital Plus||Silver Hospital||Silver Hospital Plus||Gold Hospital|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Male reproductive system|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Lung and chest|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Pain management with device|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Private room coverage|
Compare HBF extras options
- Basic Extras. This is a very basic policy covering general dental, optical, a few therapies like physio and healthy living programs.
- Saver Flexi Extras. This covers general dental, emergency ambulance and your choice of two of the following treatments: major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, healthy living programs, pharmacy, podiatry and remedial massage.
- Standard Extras. Covers 19 common treatments like general dental, major dental, optical, physio, hearing aids, speech therapy and more.
- Flexi Extras. Covers your choice of 10 treatments between: general dental, major dental, optical, physio, chiro, pharmacy, health appliances, eye therapy and more.
- Top Extras. Covers HBF's full range of treatments including all those listed above plus nutrition consultations, exercise physiology, alternative therapies, psychology and more.
What makes HBF different?
HBF has the widest range of agreement private hospitals in WA of all health funds, so residents of the state might be able to enjoy a particularly high level of cover from HBF.
How soon can I make a claim?
Hospital waiting periods apply as follows:
- 12 months: Pre-existing conditions (except for psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care) and pregnancy-related services
- 2 months: All other procedures
Extras waiting periods are as follows:
- 3 years: Hearing aids
- 1-2 years: Health appliances
- 12 months: Major dental, dental implants and orthodontics, foot orthoses
- 6 months: Clinical psychology
- 2 months: All other services
- 7 days: Urgent ambulance cover
How can I claim?
You can claim most hospital services simply by swiping your HBF member card on the spot or within seven days of receiving a service. After this, or where the option to swipe your HBF member card is not available, you can send in a claims form or make a claim online.
Hospital services can typically be billed directly to HBF, and you will only need to pay any applicable plan excess, gap expense or fee for items not covered under your plan directly to the hospital or service provider.
How can I pay?
You can pay your premiums via direct debit from a bank or credit card. Alternatively, you can pay premiums online by signing on to the HBF website.