With three levels of cover, and a choice of set amounts or percentage rebates, CUA provides flexible options for all budgets.
CUA Health has a history of delivering value for money to Australians with straight forward, effective health insurance extras to help you stay in shape without paying too much.
Good health is for everyone, and the right extras plan means it can be simple and affordable. Compare the options to find a plan that works for you.
Top 3 features
- Good for choosing the amount you want back from each service visit.
- Good for natural therapies, which remain covered by CUA.
- Beware if you opt for Basic cover, the amount covered will significantly drop for dental and physiotherapy.
What CUA Health Extras Cover Health Insurance are available?
CUA Health offers a wide range of Health Extras for all budgets, ages and health needs.
- Healthy Start Package. Great for the young, fit and healthy, it's the ideal cover to get you started and includes a Healthy Start Bonus to increase your benefits on extras.
- 50% Extras. Basic Extras cover for Dental and Physiotherapy at the healthcare provider of your choice, and receive 50% back of each treatment cost, up to a combined $500 limit per year.
- Essential Extras. Covering common extra services such as dental (with bonus dental for kids), optical, physiotherapy and chiropractic services, plus alternative therapy.
- 60% Extras. Get 60% back on your treatment costs for major dental and a $500 combined limit for Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Wellness Benefits and Alternative Therapy.
- Classic Extras. For those looking for a wide range of extras cover, Classic Extras include podiatry, psychology, dietetics and nutrition, and bonus dental for kids and adults.
- 75% Extras. Cover for the full range of services, you'll receive 75% back of the cost of your treatment on each visit, up to your annual limit.
- Total Extras. Comprehensive extras cover for those wanting a complete health insurance solution for out of hospital services. It includes generous annual benefit limits on general and major dental (including orthodontics), optical, physiotherapy, and much more.
Depending on which product you select, you can claim back a set benefit amount, or a percentage of the treatment cost each visit, up to your annual limit. CUA Health Extras cover allows you to visit the healthcare provider of your choice.
Other benefits of CUA Health Extras Cover
CUA Extras policies are geared towards the whole family, letting dependent children stay on your family policy until the age of 23, or 25 if they are full-time students. Also, when you add a newborn to your policy from their date of birth, waiting periods for them will be waived.
In addition, you'll receive:
- CUA gives the option of suspending your cover for 2 to 36 months while overseas, provided you've held the policy for 12 months beforehand. This prevents you from needing to cancel cover before travelling, or paying for a policy you can't use while overseas.
- To help you get more use out of your extras cover, and avoid surprise expenses, the CUA online portal lets you check your current remaining limits and extras balance online, as well as make claims online.
You can also take advantage of wellness benefits with the Classic and Total Extras policies. This lets you claim the following benefits under your extras policy:
- Kids' swimming lessons
- Quit smoking programs, such as nicotine replacements
- Health association fees and subscriptions for the Arthritis Foundation, Diabetes Australia, Heart Foundation, Australian Breastfeeding Association and many more
- Approved health management programs, which can include gym memberships, personal trainers and other programs
- Health checks, such as cancer screenings, heart checks and other early diagnosis and preventative measures
- Weight control programs
- Travel vaccinations
How do the costs work?
If you choose a 50%, 60% or 75% policy, you will receive that percentage back for each service you use, up to your annual limit. All other Extras policies have a set benefit amount you will receive. CUA allows you to visit the health provider of your choice, so the rebate will remain the same no matter where you choose to go.
Waiting periods and limitations
You cannot make claims for extras prior to the end of the waiting period. These are:
- 1 day for ambulance transport
- 6 months for optical and wellness benefits
- 12 months for major dental, orthodontics, podiatry aids and health aids and appliances including hearing aids.
- 2 months for all other extras services
You can check your specific policy exclusions online with CUA, but should be aware that you cannot claim:
- PBS medications, or non-prescription medications under pharmaceutical benefits
- Pre-made off-the-shelf footwear. Orthotics benefits are only available for tailor-made items
- You cannot hold another extras policy with a different fund while with CUA
- You cannot make claims for items where benefits are payable by another third party by way of damages or compensation
- You cannot make claims for items or services received while overseas
How to make a claim
Simply swipe your CUA Health Card to claim on the spot, and pay any difference yourself. Alternatively, you can use the CUA online portal to make claims afterwards, as well as check your existing extras balance.
For some services, such as ambulance transport or medical appliances, you'll need to send in a claims form, and your healthcare provider might need to fill in some sections too.