CTP insurance in Queensland

How CTP insurance works in Queenland

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Compulsory third party insurance is a legal requirement in Australia. In most states, CTP is automatically included when you register your car, but in Queensland, you're able to pick the insurer yourself, allowing you to shop around for the best deal.

How is CTP Queensland insurance different

Although regulated by the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC), Queensland's CTP insurance scheme is underwritten by the private insurance sector.

So what does this mean? Basically, if you live in Queensland (New South Wales or the ACT) you have the option of choosing your own CTP insurance provider. If you register your car in South Australia, Victoria, Western Australia, the Northern Territory or Tasmania, it's automatically built into your vehicle registration, so you don't have the flexibility to shop around.

CTP Queensland insurance still provides the same kind of protection as in other states (e.g cover for legal and medical costs as a result of injuries or deaths caused by a car accident) but you might be able to get it cheaper by shopping around.

It's worth keeping in mind that Queensland CTP policies don't cover injuries sustained by the driver that is at fault in a vehicle accident. Because of this, it's worth looking for CTP insurance policies that provide at-fault cover.

How much does CTP cost in Queensland?

When choosing your CTP Queensland insurance provider, price is probably the major factor you consider. Here's an idea of the costs you can expect. Keep in mind that insurers will take into consideration the type of car you drive, your age, driving history and where you live.

Covers At-Fault DriversAnnual Cost
Picture not describedYes*$351.20
Allianz logoYes*$351.20
QBE LogoYes*Free DriverProtect cover available for Class 1 & 6 vehicles.^
RACQ LogoYes*$351.20

*Eligibility criteria applies.
^For a registered owner aged 30 and over on a 12 month policy. A certificate with terms and conditions will be sent to you if you qualify. DriverProtect only covers where the driver of the vehicle is 25 years and over.

What's the nominal defendant?

The majority of your CTP insurance premiums go to your chosen insurer, but a levy is set aside for the nominal defendant in QLD.

The nominal defendant is designed to cover uninsured motorists following an accident, and is also responsible for supporting claims that couldn't be paid if an insurer was to go bust.

So, if you're hit and injured by an uninsured driver, the nominal defendant is essentially the uninsured driver's insurer, which ensures you can get compensated. If the culprit's insurer goes out of business, the nominal defendant will also come in to pay claims. Its purpose is to make sure no one ends up without compensation.

How does CTP Queensland insurance cover me?

Cover can vary between insurers, but when it comes to CTP, most will do one thing: cover you for financial liability in the event that you are responsible for the injury or death of another person while driving a vehicle. This includes:

  • Passengers in your car
  • Other drivers and their passengers
  • Motorcyclists and their passengers
  • Pedestrians
  • Cyclists
  • Public transport passengers

Depending on the circumstances, CTP can pay compensation, reach a settlement, cover medical expenses, ambulance bills, loss of income and long-term care that might be required, as needed. If the injury is fatal, it can also cover funeral costs and financial loss.

Most insurers in Queensland also offer at-fault cover. This means that you'll be covered for injuries by your CTP, even if you were the one that caused the accident.

Is CTP insurance enough?

If you want to be properly protected, it's not enough. CTP insurance and the MAIC will generally not cover any kind of damage to vehicles or property. That's where third party property car insurance comes in. With this, the at fault party is protected for damage to other people's property. This can be anything from another car to someone's fence.

Comprehensive car insurance, meanwhile, includes third party liability insurance, but it will also cover damage to your own car. It's the only type of car insurance policy that will comprehensively cover you if your car is damaged in an accident. It can also provide you with cover for hail, storms, theft, fire, emergency accommodation and much more.

Need more cover? Try one of these policies...

Name Product Roadside Assistance Accidental Damage Storm Choice of Repairer Agreed or Market Value
Coles Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: With Coles comprehensive car insurance, you could earn double flybuys points at Coles supermarkets and you can get $10 off your Coles grocery bill every time you redeem 2,000 Flybuys points. Also, get up to $200 for damaged or stolen groceries. Get 10% off your first year's premium when you take out a policy online. T&Cs apply.

Who it might be good for: Coles customers and Flybuys collectors.
Australia Post Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Australia Post car insurance offers comprehensive cover for things like theft, fire, new for old replacement and emergency accommodation and transport. Cover also extends to anyone who uses your car, not just you. Get $75 online discount + $100 gift card when you purchase by 11 July 2021. T&Cs apply.

Who it might be good for: If multiple people use the one car and you don’t want to worry about listing all drivers.
Virgin Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Finalists for the 2019 Finder Awards for Best Value Car Insurance, Virgin Comprehensive provides a good level of cover for a decent price. Get 15% off on your first year’s premium when you purchase a new eligible comprehensive car insurance online. T&Cs Apply.
Budget Direct Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Awarded the 2019 Finder Award for the Best Value Car Insurance, this policy offers solid coverage at a low cost plus you will get 15% discount on first year's premium when you take out a policy online. Budget Direct's claims service has received a 4.2/5 based on nearly 5,000 customer reviews.

Who it might be good for: People who want a comprehensive policy without breaking the bank.
Bingle Comprehensive
Finder's summary:Bingle consistently comes up as one of the cheaper insurers out there. It only covers the basics, so you don't get to choose your own repairer, you're not covered for personal items in the car and unless you add it as an option, you won't get a hire car if your car is stolen. But this keeps its premiums low.

Who it might be good for: Someone who wants a low-cost option that covers them for the basics.
Qantas Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: You'll be able to choose how comprehensive you want your cover to be with optional extras like choice of repairer and the option of agreed or market value. Plus you can also earn Qantas Points for joining and paying your premium. Sign up today and earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points (points awarded will be based on your premium). T&Cs and eligibility apply.
PD Comprehensive
Finder's summary: PD comprehensive car insurance policy lets you buy, manage, and start your claims process online. It includes cover for emergency repairs up to $500 and free windscreen chip repair. Ability to customise your extras cover. New policyholders can enjoy 15% off on their first year's premium. T&Cs apply.

Who it might be good for: Those with low claims history and the only driver.
QBE Comprehensive
Green Company
QBE Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: QBE is a sustainable insurance company and also Finder's Green Insurer of the Year 2021 Award winner. This policy offers the highest level of protection available from QBE including three-year new car replacement. You can also save $75 when you purchase a new comprehensive policy online. T&Cs apply.

Who it might be good for: Those that are looking for a more environmentally friendly insurance choice.
Stella Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Stella’s a female-focused insurer. It'll cover you if your car is damaged as a result of domestic violence. It offers higher cover for baby gear than most, with up to $2,000 cover for prams, strollers and child seats. Get $50 cash back when you purchase online between 1 April – 30 June 2021 using the code STELLA50. T&C apply.

Who it might be good for: Someone who wants a female-centred car insurance policy (it will cover men too).
Poncho Comprehensive
Finder's summary: Poncho works like a monthly subscription – you pay monthly and can cancel and leave at any time. You can also list multiple cars and drivers under one policy, making it ideal for families and groups living together under one household.

Who it might be good for: People who want their car insurance month to month.
ahm Comprehensive
Finder's summary: ahm comprehensive car insurance lets you choose higher excess to reduce your premiums plus you can get up to 15% off when you purchase a new car insurance policy. T&Cs apply. Additionally, their Fixed Kilometre Plan can save you up to 30% compared to their standard comprehensive cover.

Who it might be good for: People who drive less than 15,000 km per year.
Youi Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Youi Comprehensive Car Insurance is one of the few providers to include roadside assistance in its policy. You'll also get access to YouiRewards which gives you discounts on furniture, parking and more. Youi also has a live chat feature on its site to talk through any questions.

Who it might be good for: People over 25 who want comprehensive cover with a focus on customer service
Real Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Real Comprehensive Car Insurance provides similar coverage to other insurers for the important stuff like looking after your car if it's stolen or you crash. They're also one of the few insurers who offer a Pay As You Drive policy, so you might be able to save big if you don't drive much.

Who it might be good for: Those that don't drive much can take advantage of their Pay As You Drive policy.
Huddle Black Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Huddle's black comprehensive is its cover with highest limits and exclusive benefits. It includes roadside assistance. You can also get up to $2,000 for emergency travel and accommodation and up to $30 million legal liability cover.

Who it might be good for: Someone who wants a 24/7 claims processing.
Woolworths Comprehensive
Agreed or Market
Finder's summary: Woolworths catches our eye due to some unique perks like a price-beat guarantee, where it'll beat any current comparable comprehensive renewal notice if you're over 25. You'll also get 10% off your grocery shop once a month and can add roadside assistance onto your policy for just $7.35 per month.

Who it might be good for: Woolworths shoppers and those that want to take advantage of its price-beat guarantee.

Compare up to 4 providers

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site