What are covered events in home insurance? 

Covered events tell you which situations your home insurance covers. They're listed in your PDS, so always check it out.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Want to know exactly when your home insurance will help? Easy. Just check your product disclosure statement (PDS) for covered events, sometimes called insured events.

Covered events tell you when your home insurance will kick in. Usually, insurers have roughly 10 categories of covered events. We've rounded them up below.



When your home is damaged by flames. For example, a bush fire, kitchen fire or electric fire.

Be careful though, if there is no direct flame, you might not be covered. For example, if a neighbour has a fire and your home is soot or smoke damaged. In those cases, you usually have to have accidental damage cover to claim.

Theft and attempted theft


When items in your home are stolen or your home is damaged due to an attempted burglary.

You'll have to report the incident to the police for your home insurance to cover it. Unfortunately, you might not be covered if you or a family member invited the culprit into your home.

Malicious damage or vandalism


When your property is intentionally damaged by someone else. It could be graffiti, smashed windows, or even more serious damage due to a riot or civil commotion.

Again, you'll have to watch out. If you publicly post your address as the venue for a party, or you participate in the riot or civil commotion, damage probably won't be covered.

Breakage of glass, ceramics or sanitary fixtures

Toilet paper

Cracked toilets, sinks and shower basins are all covered by your home insurance. So are smashed windows, solar panels and pool fences.

It could also be handy to know the difference between fittings and fixtures in your home and how your insurance deals with it.

Storms and rainwater


Hail damage, wind damage and rain damage are all covered under the storms and rainwater category. Damage from drain overflow is also covered, as well as earth movement within a certain timeframe of the storm.

Watch out though, storms aren't covered when you first buy your policy. You might have to wait up to three days before storms are covered. That's to stop people quickly buying a policy as soon as they hear a big storm is on the horizon.

Escape of liquid

Water drop

Sounds like a weird one, but this covers damage from sudden escapes of liquid or damage from liquid that escaped slowly over time, but there was no way for you to have known.

For example, your washing machine breaks and water floods your home or a broken pipe has been leaking without your knowledge.



Pretty straightforward one, damage from lightning strikes are covered by your policy as long as it's a direct hit.

A home and contents insurance policy can help with the costs of damage to the physical structure of your home and to your belongings from lightning.



Damage from explosions is covered by your policy. For example, a boiler explosion, an electronic device exploding or a gas explosion.

This can sometimes include cover for earth movements that happens within a certain amount of time after the explosion. You'll need to check your PDS to see if this part is included.

Earthquake or tsunami


Damage caused by an earthquake or a tsunami, including earth movement that happens within a certain time frame of the event.

To be covered, the earthquake must be recorded by an Australian government geoscience organisation. The tsunami must also be recorded as arising from an earthquake.

Impact at home


Impact means when something hits your home or falls onto your home. That could be a falling tree, a car that's lost control, or even if a power pole collapses.

One big exception is damage caused by falling trees if you or a family member has given permission for them to be felled.


Flooded house

Flooding is when normally dry land is covered by water that has escaped from a lake, river, creek, reservoir, canal or dam.

Flood cover is usually an optional extra, so always check your insurance policy carefully to see if you're covered or not.

Protect yourself from bad things happening

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Green Company
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy online and you'll also save 30% on your first year’s premium. T&Cs Apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Huddle Comprehensive Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your policy in the first year.
Domain Home Buildings & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Domain Insure uses property data to help build your quote faster.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Real Top Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.

Compare up to 4 providers

Picture: GettyImages
Icons made by Vectors Market, Freepik, Smashicons from www.flaticon.com

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    WaiNovember 23, 2021

    Would all windows require a key lock?

    Would all entry doors require a double-sided key lock?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JamesDecember 1, 2021Staff

      Hi Wai,

      Those are interesting questions and lock usage can affect the cost of your premium. However in this case it’s best to get in touch with your insurer in order to confirm exactly what their requirements are.


Go to site