Proud owner of a vintage, prestige or classic car or motorcycle? Ryno might have the policy to protect your pride and joy.
If you’re the proud owner of a vintage, prestige or classic car, motorcycle or caravan, you’ll want to make sure you have the right level of insurance cover in place to protect against a wide range of risks. Ryno Insurance Services specialises in cover for motoring enthusiasts, offering policies to suit a wide range of unique vehicles.
Founded in 2006, Ryno Insurance Services is a specialist division of East West Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd. This review will explore the different policies available from Ryno and when you will and will not be covered.
What policies are available from Ryno?
Ryno Insurance Services offers two car insurance options to suit the needs of Australian motoring enthusiasts:
This policy offers complete peace of mind and a broad range of protection for motoring enthusiasts. It covers accidental damage to your vehicle Australia-wide, including cover for towing and storage costs, salvage rights and new vehicle replacement. It also includes $20 million of legal liability protection for third party property damage.
- Australia-wide cover for accidental damage
- New vehicle replacement in first three years of registration
- Agreed value cover including accessories and modifications
- Lifetime guarantee on all authorised repairs
- Flexible premium payment options
- Your choice of repairer
- Excess-free windscreen replacement
- Retain salvage rights to vehicles more than 25 years old
- $20 million third party legal liability protection
- Premium discounts if you don’t use your vehicle on a regular, daily or commuting basis
- Cover for tools and spare parts against accidental damage, fire, flood, theft and malicious damage
- $800 personal belongings cover
- Riding apparel cover (for motorcycles)
Third party only insurance
This basic level of cover is more affordable than a Comprehensive policy. It provides up to $20 million of cover for your legal liability when the use of your vehicle results in loss or damage to other people’s property, or causes bodily injury. This includes cover for your legal costs and expenses, and will also protect you if you’re involved in a no-fault accident with an uninsured motorist.
- $20 million third party legal liability protection
- Cover for your legal costs and expenses
- Up to $5,000 cover for uninsured motorist damage
When won't you be covered?
Your Ryno Car Insurance claim will not be paid if
- Your vehicle’s anti-theft system was not fitted, functional and activated at the time of loss.
- It arises due to the lawful seizure of your vehicle.
- Your vehicle was being driven by an unlicensed driver.
- Your vehicle was being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Your vehicle was being driven by anyone who has been declined or refused insurance.
- Your vehicle was being driven by someone under 25 years of age for vehicles less than 25 years old.
- Your vehicle was being driven by someone under the age of 20 for vehicles 25 years of age or older.
- Your motorcycle was being ridden by someone who has held a licence for less than two years.
- Your vehicle was being driven in an unroadworthy condition.
- It is for tyre damage caused by brake application or by cuts, punctures or bursts.
- Your vehicle was being used to convey passengers for hire, fare or reward.
- Your vehicle was being used in connection with the motor trade.
- It arises due to illegal modifications to your vehicle.
- It is caused by a deliberate, intentional, malicious or illegal act by you or by someone acting with your consent.
- Your vehicle was being driven on a race track for any purpose or involved in motor sport of any kind.
- It is for depreciation, deterioration, wear and tear, rust, corrosion or mechanical breakdown.
- It arises due to pre-existing damage.
- It is for the cost of repairing faulty repairs or workmanship.
- It is caused by any process of cleaning, restoring or repairing that involves the use of chemicals.
- It arises because you fail to protect your vehicle after it has broken down, been involved in an accident, or been recovered after being stolen.
Ryno car insurance excess
When you make a claim on your Ryno Car Insurance policy, you will need to pay an excess. The following excesses may apply to your cover:
- Basic excess. This general excess applies to all claims made under your policy.
- Age and inexperienced driver excess. These excesses apply to all claims involving young or inexperienced drivers. The age excess is $400 and the inexperienced driver excess is $1,500.
- Theft excess. If you make a claim for theft or attempted theft, you’ll need to pay this excess.
- Custom paint excess. If your vehicle has been custom painted, sign written, airbrushed or graphic appliqued and this comprises a significant portion of the vehicle’s agreed value, this additional excess applies to help cover the additional cost of repainting.
- Special excesses. Other excesses may be added to your policy based on your specific circumstances.
How to save on your Ryno car insurance policy
There are several things you can do to lower the cost of your Ryno Car Insurance policy:
- Insure more than one vehicle. This will allow you to take advantage of a multi-policy discount.
- Choose a lower level of cover. Choosing Third Party cover only will be much more affordable than a Comprehensive policy.
- Pay off your car. Vehicles with outstanding finance cost more to insure than cars that have been fully paid off.
- Take advantage of a no-claim bonus. The “safer” you are as a driver and the fewer claims you make on your policy, the higher your no-claim bonus will be.
- Drive less. Ryno Car Insurance customers who only drive their car infrequently can take out “Laid-up Cover” rather than “Regular Use Cover”.
- Restricting drivers. By restricting the drivers insured on your policy to those above a certain age, or by nominating specific drivers to insure, you can lower the cost of your premiums.
- Become a member of a car club. If you are a member of a registered enthusiast club and obtain concessional or club registration for your car, you are entitled to a premium discount.
Steps to make a claim
If you’re involved in an accident, it’s vital to contact Ryno Insurance Services as soon as possible to start the repair process. You can contact Ryno on 1300 650 670.
You should also gather the names and details of anyone else involved in the accident, as well as collect information from witnesses, but do not admit any fault or liability.
In the case of theft or malicious damage, report any incidents to the police immediately and obtain a written copy of their report.
You will also need to fill out a claim form, which you can download from the Ryno Car Insurance website.
Some final questions
Is there a cooling-off period?
Yes, you have 14 days after taking out your Ryno Car Insurance policy to decide whether cover is right for you. Cancelling your policy in this 14-day period means you are entitled to a full refund.
Who is the underwriter?
Ryno Car Insurance is underwritten by Lloyd’s.
How much is my car or motorcycle insured for?
Ryno Insurance allows you to insure your classic, prestige or vintage car or motorcycle for an agreed value. This value includes any fitted accessories and modifications.
Is there a multi-policy discount?
Yes, a discount is available when you insure one or more vehicles with Ryno.
Can I choose my own repairer?
Yes, you have the freedom to choose your own repairer, or Ryno can help you find one of its preferred repairers if you wish.
If you’re looking for insurance cover for your two- or four-wheeled pride and joy, give Ryno Car Insurance a look. Compare it with other vehicle insurance policies at finder.com.au to get the right level of cover before hitting the road.