The BOQ Specialist Signature is a premium credit card you can get if you're a doctor, dentist, vet or student in a related field. It gives you access to exclusive offers through the Visa Luxury Hotels Collection, Visa Front Line Access and a concierge service. You can use it anywhere Visa cards are accepted, including with Apple Pay and Google Pay. But its 20.5% p.a. purchase rate means you'll typically get more value from it if you pay the total account balance in full each month to make use of interest-free days on purchases.
BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card
- Bonus points
- Purchase rate
- 20.5% p.a.
- Reward point per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $400 p.a.
20,000 bonus Qantas Points or Velocity Points
Uncapped rewards points
Airport lounge access and complimentary travel insurance
Has a considerably high annual fee of $400
|Product Name||BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card|
|Balance transfer rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Purchase rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate p.a.||20.5%|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
|Rewards program||Qantas / Velocity Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $20, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$0|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.2%|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$0|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||9|
How to apply
You can apply for the BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card online in about 15 minutes. To get started, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details you need for the application.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $120,000 per year.
- Industry professional. To apply for this card, you must be a medical, dental or veterinary professional, or a student training in one of these professions.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- New cardholder. The introductory bonus points offer is only available to new cardholders.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, date of birth, email address, contact number, residential address and postal address. You also need to provide a valid form of ID, such as your driver's licence number.
- Professional membership. BOQ Specialist has a number of partner associations that it supports, including the Australian Dental Association, Australian Medical Association, Australian Veterinary Association and General Practice Registrars Association. If you're a member of one of the partner associations, you can include these details on the application.
- Frequent flyer number. During the application, you need to provide your Qantas or Velocity Frequent Flyer membership details, including your member number and name. If you're not currently a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can join for free through a link provided by BOQ Specialist.
- Employment details. This covers your current job title, term of employment, salary and employer's contact details. You may also need to provide recent payslips to help verify these details.
- Financial information. This includes any other forms of income, such as superannuation or investments, along with shares, savings and other assets. You also need to share details of any existing debts, loans, cards or other liabilities, as well as an estimate of your household spending on essentials such as groceries, mortgage payments and bills.
- 20,000 bonus Qantas Points or Velocity Points. Apply, get approved and make 10 purchases in the first 2 months from card approval to earn 20,000 bonus frequent flyer points. Eligible transactions include most everyday spending but exclude fees and charges, interest and asset finance repayments on BOQ Specialist commercial loans. You can choose whether to earn Qantas or Velocity Points when you apply for this card, and will need to provide your frequent flyer membership number.
- Frequent flyer points per $1 spent. The BOQ Specialist Signature earns 1 Qantas Point or Velocity Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia, up to 10,000 points per month and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent for the remainder of the month. It also earns 1.5 Qantas Points or Velocity Points per $1 on eligible international spending, uncapped. Eligible spending covers most everyday purchases but excludes transactions such as cash advances, balance transfers, BPAY payments, account fees, payments to the ATO and other government transactions.
- Additional points for Qantas spending. Choose to earn Qantas Points and you'll get 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent with Qantas when you pay for Qantas flights (with a QF flight number), Qantas Frequent Flyer membership fees or Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. This gives you a way to earn up to 2 points per $1 spent using your card.
- Complimentary travel insurance. The BOQ Specialist Signature gives you access to domestic and overseas travel insurance for you and eligible family members when you meet the requirements. For domestic travel, this includes using the card to pay for at least $500 of domestic accommodation or for the full cost of a return domestic flight. For international travel, it includes paying for the entire return ticket with your card. As with any insurance, make sure you read the policy document available through the BOQ Specialist website for full details.
- Purchase insurance covers. You'll also get access to card purchase cover and buyer's advantage cover for eligible items you buy with this card.
- Visa benefits. With this card, you can get exclusive pre-sale and premium ticket offers through Visa Front Line Access, hotel upgrades and other perks through the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection and save time on bookings and shopping with the Visa concierge service.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The BOQ Specialist Signature has an annual fee of $400. Make sure you consider this cost when weighing up the potential value you'll get from points and perks.
- Purchase interest rate. While the 20.5% p.a. purchase rate on this card is similar to the rates on other frequent flyer credit cards, it will quickly add up if you carry a balance. So if you're planning to pay off purchases over a few months, you may want to look at low rate options as well.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the full closing balance by the due date on your statement. Note that interest-free days are not available when you carry a balance transfer debt.
- Cash advance rate. An interest rate of 20.5% p.a. applies for cash advances from the date of the transaction.
- International transaction fee. A fee of 3.2% applies to transactions made overseas or online in a foreign currency.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked