BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card with Qantas Points or Velocity Points
Available only to medical professionals, this card offers a huge 140,000 bonus Qantas Points or Velocity Points.
The BOQ Specialist Signature card is exclusively for medical, dental and veterinary professionals. If you apply and are approved before 30 September 2021, you'll earn 100,000 bonus Qantas Points or Velocity Points by spending $4,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months. You earn another 40,000 bonus points when you keep the card for at least 12 months.
You'll also enjoy complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership if you're not already part of the program, saving you $99.50 on the usual joining fee.
|Product Name||BOQ Specialist Signature Credit Card with Qantas Points|
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate||20.5% p.a.|
|Purchase rate||20.5% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate||20.5% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$15,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.2%|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
- Up to 140,000 bonus Qantas Points
- Uncapped rewards points
- Airport lounge access and complimentary travel insurance
- Has a considerably high annual fee of $400
|Rewards program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Minimum monthly repayment||2% of the closing balance or $20, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||$0|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.2%|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||$0|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
|Number of additional cardholders||9|
How to applyYou can apply for the BOQ Specialist Signature credit card online in about 15 minutes. To get started, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria and have all the documents and details you need for the application.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $120,000 per year.
- Industry professional. To apply for this card, you must be a medical, dental or veterinary professional, or a student training in one of these professions.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- New cardholder. The introductory bonus points offer is only available to new cardholders.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal details. This includes your full name, date of birth, email address, contact number, residential address and postal address. You also need to provide a valid form of ID, such as your driver's licence number.
- Professional membership. BOQ Specialist has a number of partner associations that it supports, including the Australian Dental Association, Australian Medical Association, Australian Veterinary Association and General Practice Registrars Association. If you're a member of one of the partner associations, you can include these details on the application.
- Frequent flyer number. During the application, you need to provide your Qantas or Velocity Frequent Flyer membership details, including your member number and name. If you're not currently a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, you can join for free through a link provided by BOQ Specialist.
- Employment details. This covers your current job title, term of employment, salary and employer's contact details. You may also need to provide recent payslips to help verify these details.
- Financial information. This includes any other forms of income, such as superannuation or investments, along with shares, savings and other assets. You also need to share details of any existing debts, loans, cards or other liabilities, as well as an estimate of your household spending on essentials such as groceries, mortgage payments and bills.
- Up to 140,000 bonus Qantas Points or Velocity Points. Apply by 30 September 2021 and spend $4,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months from card approval to earn 100,000 bonus frequent flyer points. You'll earn the remaining 40,000 bonus points when you keep the account open (and use it) for at least a year, based on when you pay the annual fee. Eligible transactions include most everyday spending but exclude fees and charges, interest and asset finance repayments on BOQ Specialist commercial loans. You can choose whether to earn Qantas or Velocity Points when you apply for this card, and will need to provide your frequent flyer membership number.
- Frequent flyer points per $1 spent. The BOQ Specialist Signature earns 1 Qantas Point or Velocity Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases in Australia, up to 10,000 points per month and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent for the remainder of the month. It also earns 1.5 Qantas Point per $1 on eligible international spending, uncapped. Eligible spending covers most everyday purchases but excludes transactions such as cash advances, balance transfers, BPAY payments, account fees, payments to the ATO and other government transactions.
- Additional points for Qantas spending. Choose to earn Qantas Points and you'll get 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent with Qantas when you pay for Qantas flights (with a QF flight number), Qantas Frequent Flyer membership fees or Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. This gives you a way to earn up to 2 points per $1 spent using your card.
- Domestic flight inconvenience insurance. Get cover for interstate holidays of up to 14 days when you use the BOQ Specialist Signature card to pay the full cost of your return flights. If you're travelling with your spouse and/or eligible dependent children, they'll also get cover when their return flights are paid for with your card.
- Global hire car excess waiver costs. Use this card to pay for a hire car anywhere in the world and you'll get cover to help pay for collision excess fees that are charged during the hire period..
- Golfers' insurance. This card gives you complimentary cover against theft or accidental damage to your golf clubs, up to a maximum of $2,500 per year.
- Complimentary overseas travel insurance. Enjoy complimentary comprehensive travel insurance and transit accident insurance for you and your family when you use this card to pay for your return travel tickets before leaving Australia. You can also get cover if you book your trip with Qantas Points or split the cost between Qantas Points and payment on your card.
- Purchase insurance covers. Use the BOQ Specialist Signature to pay for purchases and get access to complimentary extended warranty cover, purchase protection insurance and a best price guarantee scheme.
- Visa benefits. Get access to pre-sale and exclusive, premium ticket offers through Visa Front Line Access, enjoy hotel perks such as upgrades through the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection, as well as access to a wide range of other travel, retail and entertainment offers via the Visa network. Plus, save time on bookings and shopping by taking advantage of the Visa concierge service.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The BOQ Specialist Signature card has an annual fee of $400 p.a. Make sure you consider this cost when weighing up the potential value you'll get from points and perks.
- Purchase interest rate. While the 20.5% p.a. purchase rate on this card is similar to the rates on other frequent flyer credit cards, it will quickly add up if you carry a balance. So if you're planning to pay off purchases over a few months, you may want to look at low rate options as well.
- Interest free days. This card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the full closing balance by the due date on your statement. Note that interest-free days are not available when you carry a balance transfer debt.
- Cash advance rate. An interest rate of 20.5% p.a. applies for cash advances from the date of the transaction.
- International transaction fee. A fee of 3.2% applies to transactions made overseas or online in a foreign currency.
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.