The Basic Access account from BCU is an everyday banking account designed for Australians who prefer the convenience of banking online with a linked Visa debit card. No monthly charges apply and in most cases you can also avoid transaction fees when you use non-branch methods of banking, including when you use your debit card.
What are the features of the BCU Basic Account?
Consider the features of the BCU Basic Access account and compare them to other options so that you can find the right account for your needs and circumstances.
$0 Monthly account keeping fee
There is no monthly service charge for the Basic Saver account.
Other fees you may be charged
You are allowed a set number of EFTPOS and ATM transactions each month before a fee applies. The number of transactions, and the amount charged, varies depending on the type of membership you have with BCU. There is, however, always a $2.50 charge for any staff assisted deposits or withdrawals.
Access your account online or over the phone
Your account can be accessed online, with the option of adding features such as BPAY, direct credit, direct debit and periodical payments. You can also check balances and make withdrawals at an ATM using your Visa debit card or Cue card. Telephone and branch banking is also included and a cheque book facility is available upon request.
Linked Visa debit card
Depending on your age, you will have the choice of a Cue or Visa debit card. The Cue card is a basic debit card for making ATM withdrawals while the Visa debit card allows you to make purchases online and overseas.
Access to the Westpac ATM network
Your Visa or Cue debit card can be used at any BCU, Westpac or St.George ATM at a reduced fee. Other network ATMs may charge you additional ATM operator fees.
One-off membership fee
The Basic Access account is only available to members of BCU. Membership is open to all Australians and can be requested online.. Individuals aged 18 or older will need to make a one-time purchase of shares in the credit union, valued at $10.Younger applicants pay a portion of that fee when they apply and the balance after reaching their 18th birthday.
- No monthly account keeping fee
- Internet and Phone banking
- $0 minimum balance
- No interest paid
- Only available to members of BCU
What you need to know before applying
If you are an existing member of BCU, you can fill out an enquiry for the Basic Account online. Follow the prompts on the secure webpage and fill out all the required information. A representative will then be in touch to advise you on the additional information you need to provide in order to activate the account.
Non-members will need to click on the appropriate link to apply for membership first.
Eligibility to apply online
Certain eligibility requirements need to be met before you can proceed with your application:
- Minimum age. In order to complete an online application you must be at least 18 years of age.
- Residency requirements. In order to be a member of BCU you must be an Australian resident or citizen.
- Depository requirements. While no minimum deposit is required to open the Basic Access account, you will be asked to pay $10 for your share in the credit union.
Documentation for your online application
You will be able to choose the type of account you want with BCU when you apply. Regardless of which option you choose, make sure you have the following documentation to complete the application:
- Tax file number. It is not obligatory to provide your tax file number (TFN) or exemption codes but it will help ensure that any tax deductions made from your interest earnings are done so at the right rate.
- Identification. In order to verify your identity online, BCU will ask for details of your Medicare card, driver’s licence or passport. You will also need to provide your full name, home address and date of birth.
- Communication. Provide an active email address or phone number so that BCU can contact you with information about your membership.
What happens after I submit my application?
Once your application has been approved by BCU, they will either call you or send an SMS text with your membership and account details.