- Google Pay, Apple Pay
- Monthly fees: $0
- No international transaction fees
- Up to 10 currencies
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Filter products to match your search
Looking for the best bank account?
There's no single bank account that's best for everyone as all our needs are different - and what's best for you might not be best for someone else.
Find your new bank account
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Bank accounts with added features and perks
Most bank accounts are fairly similar. Here are 5 great bank accounts that offer something a bit different:
- HSBC Everyday Global bank account: Earn 2% cashback on tap&pay purchases
- Suncorp Everyday Options bank account: Link up to 9 mini sub accounts that earn interest
- Xinja bank account: A 100% app-based mobile bank account
- Citi Global Currency bank account: Hold up to 10 different currencies in the one account
- Great Southern Bank Everyday Edge bank account: Refund international ATM fees and international card transaction fees
How to find the best bank account
Consider the following features when researching your options to help you find the best bank account for you.
The account fees
It's ideal to look for a bank account with no monthly account keeping fees. If there are account fees, ask yourself if there are any extra features with the account to justify the fee.
The deposit conditions
If there are monthly deposit conditions to meet, make sure it's an amount that you're comfortable with.
The account access options
If you like to bank in branch, the best bank account for you will likely be one that has branch access as some online banks don't. Or, if you do all your banking on your phone, check that the bank account can be accessed via a good mobile banking app.
Overseas fees and charges
If you like to travel regularly, the best bank account for you could be one that doesn't charge overseas ATM fees and international transaction fees.
The linked savings account
If you're planning to open a linked savings account with the same bank, it's a good idea to look for one with a competitive interest rate.
Make sure the bank account offers the payment options that you want, for example BPAY, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayID, tap and go with Visa payWave or Mastercard PayPass.
If you use cash and cheques, a bank account with a large ATM network and smart ATMs that accept cash and cheques might be best for you.
What does the best bank account offer?
The best bank account will usually have some or all of the following features:
- No account keeping fees, or an option to have the account fees waived
- A range of different payment options available
- Monthly deposit conditions that are easy to meet (or none at all)
- A mobile banking app or Internet banking portal to manage your account 24/7
- A linked savings account with a competitive interest rate
How to choose the best bank account
Ultimately, the right bank account for you will depend on your personal situation and how you plan to use the account. If you need more help deciding on the best bank account for you, consider the following:
- If you travel a lot: Look for a bank account with no international transaction fees or an account that lets your hold multiple different currencies.
- If you often withdraw cash from ATMs: Some bank accounts allow you to access any ATM in Australia for free.
- If you're a small business owner: The best bank account for you could be a dedicated business bank account, with access to online accounting software and tools.
- If you're a student: A student bank account will often waive all account keeping fees while you're studying.
- If you like to pay with your phone: Look for a bank account that offers Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
- If you want an online bank with a great app: Digital banks offer bank accounts that are managed entirely via a mobile app with great spending features and insights into your money.
- If you want to share the account with another person: The best bank account for couples or friends who both want access to the account is a joint account.
More guides on Finder
Bitcoin ETFs: Spot vs Futures crypto ETFs explained
SPONSORED: Want to gain exposure to Bitcoin through an ETF? Here’s what you need to know.
4 things to consider if you’re sending money overseas this year
SPONSORED: Sending money overseas shouldn't be complicated or expensive.
5 tips to overhaul your bookkeeping [SPONSORED] Get your bookkeeping process down pat and you’ll spend less time on admin while reaping more rewards.
Amazon Prime Day 2022: What Australian shoppers need to know
Get all the information you need to be ready for Amazon Prime Day 2022 (including the best early deals you can get right now).
Is Nintendo Switch Online worth it in 2022?
It's a necessity if you want to play multiplayer games online but are you really getting your money's worth?
Creative Market discount codes June 2022 | 20% off membership
Check out the latest Creative Market deals and discount codes right here and see how much you could save on the tools you need to help your business succeed online today.
Bank of Queensland Simple Saver Account
The Bank of Queensland Simple Saver Account offers an ongoing interest rate with no account conditions to meet. Open up to 9 accounts.
5 best ways to invest money in Australia in 2022
What's the best way to invest money in Australia? Find out about robo advisors, index funds, cryptocurrency and more in this guide.
5 ways to pick stocks to trade in 2022
SPONSORED:stom_Keen to start picking stocks to trade? These quick tips can help get you started.
vPost promo codes June 2022 | 15% off your first shipment
Check out the latest vPost deals and promo codes right here and see how much you could save on shipping at your favourite international stores today.