Aussies are now able to “cash out” annual leave

Peter Terlato 4 August 2016

50 dollars cash australia

Don't feel like holidaying? Take the money instead.

The ways in which Australians can draw on their annual leave entitlements have been reformed, giving employees the opportunity to cash out a portion of their leave instead of taking time off work.

The Fair Work Commission (FWC) has amended the workplace agreements of millions of Australians across a range of industries and titles, introducing annual leave cash out allowances.

Annual leave is paid at the employee's base pay rate for all ordinary hours worked, not including extra payments.

In order to "cash out" a portion of their leave, employees must have at least four weeks annual leave remaining and prepare a written agreement each time leave is cashed out.

Employers can't force or pressure employees to cash out annual leave and the payment must be the same as what the employee would have been paid if they took the leave.

Many workers covered by enterprise agreements already have the ability to cash out leave.

The changes will apply from the first pay period on or after 29 July 2016.

The Fair Work Commission is expected to make a decision on whether or not to reduce weekend penalty rates sometime next month.

Wishing you could have more annual leave? Take longer trips? We've come up with a way to turn your 20 days of annual leave into 50 days worth of holidays.

Picture: Shutterstock

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question