Earn up to 10,000 bonus points, enjoy premium perks such as complimentary travel insurance and manage your business expenses on one charge card.
When you sign up for the American Express Gold Business Card, you’ll earn a bonus 10,000 bonus points when you meet the spend requirements and 1 Membership Reward point for every dollar spent on eligible purchases thereafter. While the card comes with a $169 annual fee, you’ll save on card costs without any interest and up to 51 days to pay for your purchases. You’ll also enjoy flexibility with uncapped rewards and no pre-set spending limits. Plus, with access to online account management tools, you can easily manage all of your business expenses on one card.
|Product Name||American Express Gold Business Card|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent|
|Annual fee||$169 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 51 days on purchases|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Annual fee||$169 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||100%|
|Cash Advance Fee||$2.50 or 2% of the cash advance amount (whichever is greater)|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$119|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||99|
- You can enjoy up to 51 interest-free days on purchases.
- There is no pre-set spending limit with this card.
- This card does not offer any introductory rates on purchases and balance transfers.
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Ascent|
|Bonus Points||10,000 bonus points|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (VISA/MC)||0|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||N/A|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
American Express Business Card review
This charge card gives you the opportunity to manage your business expenses and take advantage of premium services all while earning Membership Rewards points for every dollar you spend. Plus, when you spend $1,000 in the first two months of owning the card, you’ll earn 10,000 Membership Rewards points. You’ll also enjoy additional features like credit-free days on purchases, complimentary travel inconvenience insurance and 24/7 customer service. Access to an online account management tool means you can manage your business expenses on the go.
All of this comes at an annual fee of $169 along with an optional $80 p.a. Membership Rewards fee if you opt into the rewards program.
Benefits of the American Express Gold Business Card
- 10,000 bonus points. When you first sign up and get approved for the Amex Gold Business Card, you will earn 10,000 bonus reward points once you’ve spent $1,000 within the first 2 months of card membership.
- Earn up to 1 point per $1 spent. When you make any purchase using your Amex Gold Business Card, you will earn 1 reward point that you can later redeem for a reward. If you pay utility bills, insurance plans (other than ones issued through American Express), or Australian government bodies, you will earn 0.5 points for each dollar spent. These points are uncapped and don’t expire.
- Redeem rewards with American Express and its partner airlines. As well as your choice of rewards through the Membership Rewards program, you can also transfer your Membership Rewards points to your choice of the following airlines: Virgin Atlantic, Velocity, Emirates, Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Etihad Airways, Asia Miles and Air New Zealand.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you use an iPhone, Android or Samsung device, you can use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay to make convenient contactless payments with your smartphone at the checkout.
- Security. All of your purchases are protected by a PIN and embedded microchip. Fraud protection guarantees, emergency card replacement and 24/7 customer service means that you can shop with peace of mind using this Amex card.
- Online account management tools. You can keep track of statements, transaction details, balances and business expenses with Quicken, MYOB or Microsoft Excel. These online account management tools will make it easy to track your business costs on the go, especially if you have additional cardholders spending under the one account.
Features of the American Express Gold Business Card
- Annual fee. This card charges an annual fee of $169. Please note that a separate annual rewards fee of $80 applies if you opt into the Membership Rewards program.
- Interest-free purchases. As a charge card, this card doesn’t come with interest rates. Instead, you just need to pay off your balance each month to avoid a penalty fee.
- Extended credit days. You can request to extend your cash flow up to 51 days, though this depends on when you make a purchase and when your repayments are due.
- No spending limits. This card doesn’t come with a spend requirement, though this doesn’t mean you have unlimited spending. Like a credit card, your credit limit is based on your credit history, spending patterns and financial resources.
- Complimentary insurances. You can take advantage of travel inconvenience cover for flight delays, missed connections or delayed luggage when you purchase your trip on your card.
How to apply for the Amex Gold Business Card
If you’re interested in applying for the American Express Gold Business Card, click on to the green 'Go to Site' button to be directed to a secure online application form. Before you do, though, make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents handy:
- This card is only available for cardholders who are at least 18 years old.
- Applicants must be Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- You'll need an annual income of at least $24,000 before taxes.
- You must have a good credit history with no reports of defaults or bad debt.
- In order to verify your identity, you’ll need a valid driver’s license, a passport, an Australian birth certificate, and/or your Medicare card.
- You’ll need financial documents proving that you make the minimum required annual income. This may also include your accountant’s information.
Please be advised that only sold traders and companies are able to apply for this charge card online. All other businesses have to speak to a specialist who will help them through the process.
The American Express Gold Business Card could be a convenient way to manage your business expenses while earning reward points and benefiting from additional features offered by American Express. As this isn’t the only rewards charge card on the market, make sure to compare your options before applying.Back to top