Single item insurance
Single item insurance lets you pay less by only insuring important stuff like your phone and laptop.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With single item insurance, you can cover one or more individual items in your home. It's slightly different from traditional contents insurance because it lets you pick and choose specific items you want to protect, such as your phone, laptop and camera. It can cover you for events including fires, theft or accidental damage.
What is single item insurance?
Single item insurance is a new type of insurance that covers individual items, such as your camera, laptop or phone, rather than whole categories, in the way that contents insurance does. You can insure more than one item and examples of what it can cover include:
Who offers single item insurance?
As its popularity increases, there are now a number of providers offering single item insurance. Some of these providers are:
Is there a difference between single item insurance and portable contents?
Yes. Here's what they both do:
- Single item insurance. This functions like contents insurance, except it only covers individual items inside your home, as opposed to everything in your home.
- Portable contents insurance. This protects your items when you take them away from your home. It's usually only available as an add-on with single item and home insurance policies, which means you'll need to pay extra to get it included.
Should I get single item insurance or contents insurance?
Here's the pros and cons of a single item insurance policy.
- It's usually cheaper than contents insurance.
- It's good if you just want to protect a couple of expensive items in your home.
- A contents insurance policy can offer much better value for money.
- A contents insurance policy can cover those items and a lot more (from carpets and curtains to furniture and white-goods).
- You'll usually still have to pay an excess when you make a single item insurance claim.
What's covered by single item insurance?
Single item insurance generally lets you insure the same items that would ordinarily be covered in a contents insurance policy. These items include:
- Jewellery and watches
- Mobile phones
- Personal electronics
- Gaming accessories
- Musical instruments
- White goods e.g. fridges, ovens etc
- Sporting and camping equipment
- Home audio and visuals
- Desktop computers
What's not covered by single item insurance?
There are some items that single item insurance ordinarily won't cover. These include:
- Motorcycles, vehicles, caravans and trailers
- Motorised golf buggies or carts
- Ride-on lawnmowers
- Mobility scooters
- Tools, e.g. work equipment such as drills and saws
- Any items and stock used for your business or profession
Bottom line about single item insurance
Single item insurance can be a convenient way to protect specific valuables you own but it's not always the most cost effective option compared to contents insurance – which protects all, not just some, of the items in your home. If you'd like to compare home and contents insurance policies side-by-side, you can head to our home insurance page here.
More guides on Finder
ASOS discount codes 2021 | Up to 80% off: Final Clearance
Here you can find active ASOS codes of up to 80% off that can be used for discounts on your total order or for discounted shipping rates.
THE ICONIC discount codes October 2021 | Up to 60% off: Mid-Season Sale
All deals are checked and updated daily. Get the latest discount codes from THE ICONIC to save 60% instantly.
Travel insurance for seniors over 80
Travel insurance is an essential expense for anyone planning a trip overseas, though sometimes it can be difficult to find cover if you are over 80 years of age.
5 cheapest places to fly to when Australia’s international borders reopen
See which overseas destinations have the cheapest flights in January.
Travel Cancellation Insurance
Planning a holiday is a lot of fun, but what happens when something goes wrong and your plans are thrown into disarray? Cancellation travel insurance protects your holiday plans.
Spring cleaning sale: 60% off Koh green cleaning bundles (ends tonight)
Environmentally friendly cleaning brand Koh is throwing a spring cleaning sale with up to 75% off its bestelling bundles.
Hugmellow weighted blanket review: A high-quality comforting blanket
Hugmellow’s adult single blanket has a super soft reversible cover and impressive weight distribution, even if it’s a bit too thick to use on hot nights.
Expat Life Insurance
If you're an Australian planning to live overseas, then the good news is you can take out Australian life insurance.
Holiday home insurance
What to know about insurance before renting out your home, and what to look for in Airbnb insurance.
THE ICONIC launches homewares and it’s your Pinterest mood board dream
THE ICONIC has officially launched its Home section with hundreds of new items and it's a bad day to be my bank account.
Ask an Expert