Introducing Australia’s first combined health and life insurance policy.
myOwn is a new health insurance brand, launched in Australia on 31 July 2017. The result of a partnership between life insurer AIA Australia, not-for-profit health fund GMHBA and Discovery, myOwn is a unique product in Australia’s health insurance market.
It offers a broad range of health insurance cover options bundled together with the AIA Vitality health and wellness program and rewards members for their healthy habits.
Members of myOwn get access to AIA Vitality, giving you a range of health-related benefits including a staggering 50% off select Virgin Active memberships and up to 50% off Fitness First.
Promotions currently on offer from myOwn
Compare and get quotes for myOwn policies
What options are available with myOwn?
myOwn provides combined hospital and extras cover as well as standalone hospital cover, but it does not provide any standalone extras cover.
Hospital and Extras Cover
- Accident Only Package with AIA Vitality. This entry-level combined policy provides cover for private hospital treatment when you suffer an accidental injury. All other pre-existing conditions and conditions not resulting from an accident are excluded, but emergency ambulance transport is included in the cover. You can also claim 50% back on extras such as general and preventative dental, physio, chiro and osteo, plus 100% back on optical.
- Basic Package with AIA Vitality. Designed to offer a greater level of cover than the Accident Only Package but still remain affordable, this option offers private hospital cover for accidents, hernias, joint investigations/reconstructions, appendix removal, cancer treatment and a range of other procedures. You can also claim up to 50% back on extras such as general and preventative dental, physio, pharmacy and remedial massage, plus 100% back on optical and Preventative Health Benefits.
- Mid Package with AIA Vitality. Designed for people seeking mid-level cover, this package adds private hospital cover for cardiac services, brain surgery, dental implants and much more. Extras cover allows you to claim up to 60% back on general and major dental, physio, natural therapies and more, plus 100% back on optical and Preventative Health Benefits.
- Comprehensive Package with AIA Vitality. This package is for members who want a high level of peace of mind but don’t need cover for pregnancy or IVF services. It includes private hospital cover for palliative care, rehabilitation, joint replacement, cataract surgery, renal dialysis, spinal surgery and more. In terms of extras, you can claim up to 70% back on an extensive range of general treatments, plus 100% back on optical and Preventative Health Benefits.
- Top Package with AIA Vitality. This top-level package is designed to suit the needs of growing families. It covers all the same private hospital services as the Comprehensive Package but adds pregnancy and IVF services. It also provides 70% back on extras.
- Accident Hospital with AIA Vitality. Designed for members seeking a low level of cover, this policy covers private hospital treatment for injuries resulting from an accident. Emergency ambulance transport is also included but all other conditions are excluded.
- Basic Hospital with AIA Vitality. Designed to be affordable but offer a slightly higher level of cover than Accident Hospital, this policy adds cover for accidents, hernias, joint investigations/reconstructions, appendix removal, cancer treatment and a range of other procedures.
- Mid Hospital with AIA Vitality. This mid-range package offers a blend of broad cover with affordable premiums. It includes private hospital cover for everything offered under the Basic policy but also adds cover for rehabilitation, cardiac services, brain surgery and more.
- Comprehensive Hospital with AIA Vitality. This policy provides ultimate peace of mind for members who want a high level of cover but don’t need pregnancy or IVF services. It includes cover for palliative care, joint replacements, cataract surgery, renal dialysis and more.
- Top Hospital with AIA Vitality. The highest level of hospital cover available from myOwn, this policy covers all the same hospital services as the Comprehensive Hospital policy but adds cover for pregnancy and birth-related services as well as for IVF and assisted reproductive services.
What is the AIA Vitality program?
When you take out health insurance cover with myOwn, up to two adults per policy get membership to the AIA Vitality program. This unique health and wellbeing program rewards you for taking steps to improve your health.
How does it work? There are three simple steps involved:
- Know your health. You can complete a range of assessments to receive a full report on your overall health status. Assessments include eye checks, dental checks, nutrition assessments and fitness assessments, and you earn Vitality points for every assessment you complete.
- Improve your health. Next, you can earn more points by taking steps to improve your health, such as joining a gym, exercising, quitting smoking and attending organised fitness events. You can also access discounts on gym memberships, active wear and fitness trackers.
- Get rewards. You can then use your reward points to attain a higher membership level, which allows you to access a wide range of discounts on flights, shopping, movie tickets, spa treatments and even your myOwn health insurance premiums.
There’s also a free AIA Vitality app, available from iTunes or Google Play, to help you set goals, track your progress and claim rewards along your journey to good health.
What rewards can I get with AIA Vitality?
If you sign up to myOwn health cover, you can also get the following AIA vitality discount offers:
|AIA Vitality Partner||Reward||Apply for health insurance|
|Virgin Active||50% off gym membership||Get myOwn Cover|
|Fitness First||30% off gym membership||Get myOwn Cover|
|Anytime Fitness||$100 cashback per Q||Get myOwn Cover|
|Fitbit||25% off devices||Get myOwn Cover|
|Garmin||25% off devices||Get myOwn Cover|
|Endota Spa||50% off||Get myOwn Cover|
There's no shortage of points and discounts. From health checks to doing your pap smear - earn reward points that get turned into discounts on travel, entertainment, and shopping.
Myer, JB Hi-Fi, Woolworths and Hoyts all offer discounts using points you earn with the program.
What membership benefits are available from myOwn?
myOwn members can also access the following benefits:
- Discounted active wear and cashback offers.
- Discounts on flights, shopping, spa treatments and more.
- Preventative Health Benefits on many combined policies to cover costs such as bowel cancer identification kits and melanoma surveillance photography.
- Cover for singles, couples, families and single-parent families.
- Ability to cover student dependants up to 25 years of age.
Is there anything I can’t claim on my myOwn policy?
There are certain expenses that you cannot claim on your myOwn policy. While these exclusions vary depending on the level of cover you select, you will not be able to claim for the following:
- Extras services or treatment provided more than two years prior to lodging your claim
- Services or treatment not covered by your policy
- Extras services or treatment provided by a practitioner not in private practice and/or not recognised by bodies approved by myOwn
- Treatment that was not provided in Australia
- Treatment if you’ve already claimed the maximum allowable benefits within a specified period
- Treatment or services provided during a policy waiting period
- Services or treatment provided by a family member
- Services not provided in person
- Hospital services for which Medicare does not pay a benefit, for example cosmetic surgery
- High-cost medications not included in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
How do I make a claim with myOwn?
There are several ways you can submit a claim on your myOwn policy:
- Electronically. If you have a combined hospital and extras policy, you can swipe your myOwn membership card to make a claim on the spot at any healthcare provider that supports the HICAPS electronic claims system.
- Online. You can log extras claims online through the myOwn member’s portal. You’ll need to upload your receipt within two months of receiving treatment.
- By post. You can fill out a paper claim form and post it to myOwn along with your itemised invoice, or you can lodge medical claims at your nearest Medicare office via a two-way claim.
Any benefits you are entitled to will be paid directly into your nominated bank account.