myOwn offers a wide range of hospital and extras policies plus a one-of-a-kind rewards program.
myOwn recently revamped their selection of hospital policies into a Basic, Bronze, Silver and Gold tier structure, making it easier for you to compare. They also offer a wide range of extras policies you can combine with your hospital policy, giving you lots of choice and lots of protection.
Every policy they offer gives you the opportunity to enroll in the AIA Vitality wellness program, offering even more value in the form of discounts, coupons, vouchers and more.
Top 3 features
- Good for people who want combined hospital and extras that they can mix and match to create customised cover.
- Good for people who want access to a fully featured rewards program.
- Beware if you want extras only, because MyOwn only offers extras if they are bundled with hospital cover.
Speak to a health insurance advisor
What you'll get:
- 100% free expert advice
- Pay the same as going direct
- Instant advice if you call 1300 594 882
Who is myOwn?
myOwn is a new health insurance brand, launched in Australia on 31 July 2017. The result of a partnership between life insurer AIA Australia, not-for-profit health fund GMHBA, myOwn is a unique product in Australia's health insurance market.
What health insurance options are available?
You can choose from 7 levels of cover:
- Basic. This policy includes the minimum cover required to be labeled a basic policy, which is restricted cover on rehabilitation, psychology and palliative care.
- Bronze. This policy includes the cover for the 18 clinical categories required to be labeled a bronze policy, including cancer treatment, digestive issues and joint reconstructions.
- Bronze Plus. This offers everything the Bronze policy does plus additional cover like dental surgery, medically necessary plastic surgery and lung/chest issues.
- Silver. This policy includes the cover for the 26 clinical categories required to be labeled a silver policy, including cover for heart treatments and hearing implants.
- Silver Plus. This covers everything the Silver policy does plus a few more like cataracts and kidney dialysis.
- Silver Plus Enhanced. This covers everything the Silver Plus policy does plus even more like pregnancy, sleep studies, weight loss surgery and assisted reproductive services like IVF.
- Gold. This is the highest level of hospital insurance and includes all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label. It expands on the Silver Plus Enhanced policy by offering cover for travel and accommodation and removes restrictions on all remaining restricted services.
These extras policies are only available in combination with one of the hospital policies above. Some hospital and extras policies can't be combined. For example, you can't combine the lowest level of hospital cover with the highest level of extras cover.
- Minimum 50. Gives you 50% back on common treatments like general dental and physical therapy plus 100% back on optical.
- Lite 60. Gives you 60% back on common treatments like general dental, physical therapy and more complicated treatments like major dental. Also includes 100% back on optical.
- Lite 65. Covers 65% of common treatments like general dental, chiropractic and more complicated treatments like major dental. Also includes 100% back on optical.
- Lite 70. Offers 70% back on common treatments like general dental, acupuncture and more complicated treatments like major dental. Also includes 100% back on optical.
- Everyday 55. Gives you 55% back on common treatments plus some more complicated ones like hydrotherapy, occupational therapy and swimming lessons.
- Mid 60. Offers 60% back on common treatments plus a whole range of other services like podiatry, psychology, orthodontics and speech therapy.
- Comprehensive 70. Covers 70% of the cost of almost every treatment type including orthopaedic appliances. Optical and preventative health benefits get 100% back.
- Top 70. Gives you 70% back on every treatment type including antenatal and postnatal care. Optical and preventative health benefits get a 100% refund.
MyOwn comes bundled together with the AIA Vitality health and wellness program that rewards members for their healthy habits.
This program offers:
- Discounts on flights, shopping, spa treatments and more.
- Gym membership discounts.
- The ability to earn hundreds of dollars in gift vouchers.
- Access to an online portal to track your health and learn healthy habits.
- A 5% discount on your premiums that you can keep as long as you hit certain health targets.
How to make a claim
There are several ways you can submit a claim on your myOwn policy:
- Electronically. If you have a combined hospital and extras policy, you can swipe your myOwn membership card to make a claim on the spot at any healthcare provider that supports the HICAPS electronic claims system.
- Online. You can log extras claims online through the myOwn member's portal. You'll need to upload your receipt within two months of receiving treatment.
- By post. You can fill out a paper claim form and post it to myOwn along with your itemised invoice, or you can lodge medical claims at your nearest Medicare office via a two-way claim.
Any benefits you are entitled to will be paid directly into your nominated bank account.