You can finally get COVID-19 travel insurance (but what does it actually cover?)
We took a closer look at two travel insurance policies which offer COVID-19 cover, so you know what you're getting for your money.
Travel insurance which includes cover for COVID-19? Sounds great. But what's the catch?
Well, it turns out there are actually some pretty valuable benefits on offer. But, as with any insurance policy, there are things to watch out for too.
Firstly, there are only a few brands offering cover for coronavirus-related claims, so you have limited choice when it comes to providers.
Cover-More and Travel Insurance Direct (TID) are among the brands that have created cover for COVID-19. To find out what you really get for your money, we took a closer look at the benefits offered by both.
Importantly, the policies are affordably priced. For a week-long trip within Australia, we were quoted $66 from Cover-More and $61 from TID. That's for a 30-year-old traveller with no pre-existing medical conditions.
With both, you can expect cancellation costs to be covered if you contract COVID-19 or if your annual leave is revoked due to COVID-19 - although that's only for certain essential workers.
You can also expect to have quarantine costs covered in certain circumstances, as well as cancellation costs if your accommodation closes due to a confirmed case on-site.
However, while Cover-More and TID offer some valuable COVID-19 cover, they don't cover everything. For example, you're unlikely to be covered if you can no longer fly due to border closures or if your accommodation closes preemptively.
Here's a more comprehensive breakdown of the product disclosure statements, so you can get a better idea of what you're really covered for:
Cover-More - Find out more
Only policies taken from December 9 onwards include some cover for COVID-19. Here are some examples of what's included and what to watch out for:
|Benefit||What's covered?||Be aware|
|Cancellation and amendment costs||If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 before or during your trip||You'll also be covered if you're directed to quarantine because you were a close contact of someone with COVID-19|
|If a relative or business partner is diagnosed with life-threatening COVID-19||They must live within Australia or New Zealand and not be your travelling companion.|
|If you're an essential healthcare worker and your leave is revoked due to COVID-19||This includes pharmacists, nurses, doctors, paramedics and other health care professionals|
|If your pre-paid accommodation in Australia or New Zealand is closed||This only applies if they closed due to a COVID-19 outbreak on the premises|
|Additional expenses||Quarantine costs if you're diagnosed with COVID-19 or are a close-contact of someone diagnosed with COVID-19||This doesn't apply if It's just a mandatory cross-border quarantine or if you've been on a multi-night cruise|
|If a relative or business partner is diagnosed with life-threatening COVID-19||This only applies if the relative or business partner isn't travelling with you|
|If the person you were due to stay with is diagnosed with COVID-19||This only applies in Australia or New Zealand|
|If you die due to COVID-19||This doesn't apply if you were in an area with a do not travel warning|
|If your pre-paid accommodation or holiday activity in Australia or New Zealand is closed||This only applies if they closed due to a COVID-19 outbreak on the premises|
|Travel delay||COVID-19 related temporary delays that were unforeseeable and outside of your control||There is no cover if your cruise is affected|
Travel Insurance Direct (TID) - Find out more
TID's domestic policies cover costs associated with eight specific events related to COVID-19.
- If you have to cancel because you or a travelling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19.
- If a close relative or business partner in Australia is hospitalised or dies due to COVID-19 and you can no longer go.
- If you or a member of your party are permanently employed as a healthcare worker, residential care worker or law enforcement officer, and your or their pre-approved leave is cancelled due to coronavirus.
- If you're unable to stay at your pre-booked accommodation due to it being closed for cleaning following a confirmed case of COVID-19 on the premises.
- If you're denied boarding on your scheduled pre-paid public transport due to you being suspected of being infected.
- If you or a member of your travelling party are confined to compulsory quarantine during your trip as a result of contracting COVID-19 or being a close contact.
- If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 during your trip and are unable to care for your dependent children, childcare services are covered.
- If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 during your trip, necessary pet care services are covered.
Looking for a quote?
Compare travel insurance brands using the table below. Remember, domestic travel insurance has heaps of other benefits, even when it doesn't cover coronavirus-related claims.