Budget Direct vs NRMA Car Insurance
Budget Direct and NRMA policies offer plenty of benefits - but which provider is best for you?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Budget Direct and NRMA car insurance might have lots of reasons to sign up with them, but our guide is here to help you easily identify the features that matter to you.
In terms of savings, Budget Direct offers affordable comprehensive coverage that includes driver-age restrictions and low kilometres discounts to help lower your premiums. NRMA, on the other hand, are a well-known brand that includes services such as 'tools of trade' cover and hire car following an incident. They've also got a reputable roadside assistance service.
What differences are there between Budget Direct car insurance and NRMA?
Here are some of the main differences between Budget Direct car insurance and NRMA car insurance:
- NRMA's top tier policy comes with a hire car for more scenarios. If you have NRMA's comprehensive plus policy, you'll get a hire car if an incident occurs, which includes a not at fault collision or crash and after theft or attempted theft. While a hire car following theft is covered with Budget Direct's comprehensive policy, accident hire car is an optional extra.
- Personal items are covered, with caveats for both. NRMA will pay up to $1000 in total to repair or replace your personal items if they're stolen from your car. Excluded items include mobiles phones and cash. Budget Direct does not specify that mobile phones are excluded. They will cover you for up to $500 and also up to $500 for child seats or capsules while in the car. Baby seat replacement is covered separately under 'baby capsules and child seats' with NRMA.
- Tradespeople might consider NRMA. 'Tools of trade' cover can be found with both NRMA comprehensive policies, with up to $1,500 for certain items. This is excluded from Budget Direct's comprehensive policy.
- NRMA gives more emergency assistance. NRMA can organise accommodation and a hire car for you or make travel arrangements if you are more than 100km away. Budget Direct don't state how they'll cover you for this.
How do both brands compare?
Budget Direct Comprehensive
|About the provider||The National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) is an Australian organisation offering roadside assistance, car servicing, International Driving Permits, insurance and more in NSW and the ACT.||Budget Direct has been in insurance since 2000 and has covered over 3 million Australians since then. They keep their prices low by providing restrictions on high risk drivers.|
|Underwriter||IAG (Insurance Australia Group)||Auto & General Insurance Company Limited|
|State served||New South Wales, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.||Australia wide|
|Products available||Comprehensive Plus, Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only||Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only|
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft||Up to $75 a day for a hire car for up to 21 days|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||Not stated||$200/day|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement||$1,000||$1,000|
|Trailer and caravan cover||$1,000||$1,000|
|No claim discount|
|Pay in full discount|
|More info||Get quote|
*Brands may differ in benefits so always read the product disclosure statement (PDS) to see what suits you best.
What benefits do Budget Direct and NRMA car insurance offer?
Both Budget Direct and NRMA offer several benefits with their car insurance policies. Listed below are some of the main perks:
- Driver-age restriction. To lower your premiums as much as possible, Budget Direct allow you to restrict your policy to drivers over a certain age, including drivers aged 21+, 25+, 30+, 40+ or 50+.
- Low kilometres policy. If you travel less than 12,000km a year in your car, Budget Direct will lower your premium.
- No excess for glass damage. Both NRMA and Budget Direct allow you to add an option to avoid paying an excess when you claim for glass damage (like your windscreen) only.
- No Claim Bonus protection. With NRMA, you can add an option that allows you to make one claim per year that's your fault without reducing your No Claim Bonus.
- New car replacement. If you purchased a new car and it becomes a total loss in less than 2 years, Budget Direct and NRMA will replace it with a new car wherever possible. This also applies to Budget Direct policies if your car has been driven 40,000 km or less. They will also both pay the first 12 months of registration.
- Online Discounts. There's 15% off when you sign up online with Budget Direct.
- Hail alert service. Budget Direct provides a hail alert service called Hail Hero which is available when you sign up to any policy.
Who is the underwriter for NRMA and Budget Direct?
NRMA is underwritten by IAG (Insurance Australia Group). IAG's businesses underwrite nearly $12 billion of premium per annum. CGU, SGIO, SGIC, Swann Insurance and WFI (Australia); and NZI, State, AMI and Lumley Insurance (New Zealand) are also part of IAG's portfolio. They also operate in Malaysia and India and were given a 'AA-' rating for Insurer Financial Strength by Standard & Poor's.
Budget Direct's car insurance policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. They are part of the international BHL group who provide insurance for brands including ING, Virgin, Aus Post and Ozicare.
More guides on Finder
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
Fixtures and fittings: Why they matter in home insurance
Knowing the difference between fixtures and fittings can help you decide which home insurance policy is right for you.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Compare $100,000 life insurance policies
$100,000 life insurance policies can be very affordable. Compare costs and cover here.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
Ask an Expert