If you use your phone for business purposes, you'll want to select a mobile phone plan to match your unique business needs.
What are business phone plans?
Modern society doesn't run by the traditional 9-to-5 workday anymore. Staying competitive requires working odd hours and staying productive even when you're out of the office. That's why smartphones have become such a crucial tool in the business world.
Using a smartphone for work is quite different to using one for personal purposes, and your mobile plan needs to reflect that. Business-focused mobile plans will account for the specific needs of working on the go, making them worth considering for employers and employees alike.
Business phone plans are designed for those who use their phones to carry out business. These plans typically place a greater focus on international call inclusions and 24/7 support to ensure any technical issues are resolved as fast as possible. Generally, they operate on fixed-term contracts rather than month-to-month contracts, and businesses that bundle multiple plans under a single account often benefit from discount pricing as well as the ability to pool data for use by all employees.
How to compare business phone plans
If you need a new smartphone to maximise your productivity or you just want to keep your personal and work contacts separate, there are plenty of business mobile plans available that come bundled with the latest smartphones. Different telcos offer different handsets, and the value included with each plan can vary drastically even when comparing the same handset.
Most business mobile plans charge on a monthly basis, and this rate is typically the biggest cost associated with a plan. That said, it's important to also consider the minimum term of a particular plan as a cheaper option might lock you in for two years or more.
Most businesses conduct the majority of their work online these days, so data is a key concern when comparing business mobile plans. If you're going to be sending and receiving large files on the go or online video plays an important role in your day-to-day operations, making sure you pick a plan with a sufficiently high data cap is vital.
If you're not sure how much data you need, you can use our mobile data usage calculator to find out.
Excess data charges
Unlimited mobile data plans are still relatively rare in the business space, so the potential for blowing through your monthly cap is always present. Most telcos charge $10 per 1GB once you exceed your monthly cap, but it's worth double-checking so you know how much you'll have to pay should you run out of gigabytes.
Different mobile networks have different levels of coverage. Telstra has the largest 3G and 4G network in Australia, but it might not always offer the best performance in a particular area. Knowing which network offers the best coverage at your place of business can help you avoid connection issues down the track.
One of the key selling points for business mobile plans is their customer service and support. Technical assistance, financial advisors and business apps are all incentives telcos bundle with their business mobile plans, and these can significantly increase their value beyond their standard inclusions.
Pros and cons of business phone plans
- Designed specifically for business needs. Business mobile plans are designed specifically to suit the unique needs of business users. Many telcos will offer to customise plans to best cater to the demands of your workload.
- Plenty of choice. Not all businesses are the same and not everyone has the same needs. There are plenty of choices available to help you find the right business phone plan that suits your business situation.
- Added value. Business mobile plans typically offer plenty of added value with international call inclusions, data pools and premium technical support.
- Cost. You may find that plans with high data and call limits are quite expensive, and these can put a serious financial strain on you and your business.
- Motorola Moto G7 Plus: Features | Specifications | Pricing
- Best Vodafone phones 2019: The 10 top phones you can buy on the Vodafone network
- Best phones 2019: The 10 top smartphones you can buy
- Best Android phones 2019: The 10 top Android phones you can buy
- Vodafone Smart A9 3G: Features | Pricing | Specs