Judo Capital offers tech-focused small business lending with a focus on relationship banking.
Judo Capital is a new business financing company that is in the process of applying for a banking licence. It currently offers a range of financing options for businesses, with its products enabled by new technology and backed by traditional relationship banking. This review will take you through what products Judo Capital offers, the features and costs of those products, and how to decide if Judo Capital is right for your business.
- Flexible, tailored products
- Dedicated relationship managers
- Transparent costs
Not suited for
- Businesses looking to borrow less than $150,000 or over $5 million
- Fast funding, as it can take up to five days
See our full list of pros and cons below.
What is Judo Capital?
Judo Capital is a new technology-focused business lender that is in the process of becoming a bank. It does not currently have a banking licence but it does have an Australian Credit Licence (ACL), which allows it to offer a range of business finance products. While it prioritises technology, Judo Capital also has a focus on offering traditional relationship banking and aims to deliver its products with "certainty and speed".
What products does Judo Capital offer?
The following products are currently available from Judo Capital:
Judo Capital offers a range of business finance solutions. These include a business loan of up to $5 million, which is repaid over a set term and comes with a fixed or variable interest rate. The loan is secured by various forms of security but repayments are flexible and the term can be matched to your business's needs. Judo Capital also offers a line of credit up to $5 million, which comes with a variable interest rate and no set repayment terms. You can also consider an equipment loan, which offers flexible repayments and a balloon payment option, or a finance lease, which can help your business fund equipment or vehicle purchases on a lease agreement.
The Judo Capital home loan is designed to complement its business finance products. You can borrow up to $5 million over a term of up to 30 years and principal and interest or interest-only options are available. You can opt for a variable rate or have a fixed rate loan for between one and five years.
What features and benefits does Judo Capital offer?
The following features are on offer with Judo Capital:
- Dedicated relationship managers. Judo Capital prioritises "relationship banking". Because of this, every business with a Judo Capital product will have a dedicated relationship manager that they will have direct, regular contact with.
- Tailored solutions. Judo Capital's solutions are flexible so that relationship managers are able to tailor them to individual business's needs.
- A range of financing solutions. There a range of financing solutions currently available including a term loan, a line of credit and equipment financing.
- Transparent costs. Judo Capital displays its Base Rate (the variable indicator rate for the business loan and line of credit) clearly on its website. This rate is repriced on the first of each month.
Is Judo Capital right for your business?
Here are a few points to consider to help you figure out whether Judo Capital is right for your business:
- Solutions to meet a range of business needs. Judo Capital offers a number of financing solutions that are able to be tailored, making them suitable for a number of business types and purposes.
- Relationship manager. Judo Capital will provide you with a dedicated relationship manager. This manager will be your direct point of contact for all your product needs and will also be able to tailor certain aspects of the products to better suit your business.
- Nimble company. Judo's philosophy is to use its smaller size to defeat larger opponents (the Judo Philosophy). What this means for your business is that Judo Capital aims to be nimble and flexible enough to meet your business's needs.
- Not suitable for smaller loans. The minimum borrowing amount is $150,000 for the equipment loan. Judo Capital says its loans range from around $250,000, so if you're looking for a smaller loan these products will not be suitable.
- Judo Capital is not a bank yet. If you're looking for a full-service bank to meet all of your business's financial needs (accounts, etc), Judo Capital will not be able to meet this need yet. However, it has applied for a banking licence to be able to offer more products.
Is Judo Capital safe?
There are a number of indicators that demonstrate how safe Judo Capital is. Judo Capital is not currently a bank and does not have a banking licence yet, but it does have an Australian Credit Licence number which is clearly displayed on its website. When you apply for a product such as a loan with Judo Capital, you will have a dedicated relationship manager that you can easily contact whenever you need to.
Judo Capital's products are flexible, which means that not every product detail can be listed on their website, however, you can find the basic details for every product, including the minimum and maximum borrowing amount, the loan term and the Judo Market Base Rate. If you need general information about Judo Capital's loans you can fill out the online enquiry form or call Judo Capital directly.
How do you sign your business up with Judo Capital?
If you want to apply for a loan with Judo Capital, you can submit an online enquiry on the company's website. You also have the option of calling or emailing them directly.