SGIO Home Insurance
Need to protect your home from whatever life throws at you? Consider SGIO home insurance.
Your home is far more than just a building. It's that place where you build your memories. It would be devastating to have it destroyed by something out of your control, but even more devastating to be out of pocket because of it. SGIO's home insurance policies can help protect your building and its contents from a wide range of scenarios, giving you peace of mind. If you want protection, consider a policy from SGIO.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the SGIO website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Compare home insurance from other Aussie brands
What cover options does SGIO offer?
SGIO offer two different cover options. There is a basic and a comprehensive coverage option available.
This policy provides SGIO’s standard level of cover for your home and contents. It covers a wide range of insured events including storm, flood, fire, theft, malicious damage and more, including cover for removal of debris, demolition costs and up to 12 months of temporary accommodation.
Other benefits include cover for credit card theft, visitors’ belongings, keys and locks, loss of rent for landlords, and up to $20 million of legal liability protection. Accidental damage and electric motor burnout cover are available as optional extras.
- Covers loss or damage
- Available as buildings cover, contents cover, or combined buildings and contents cover
- 12 months temporary accommodation costs
- Removal of debris and demolition costs
- Locks and keys
- Loss of rent for landlords
- $20 million legal liability cover
- Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
- Optional accidental damage and electric motor burnout cover
- Flexibility to choose your own excess
- 24/7 claims service and paperless claims
- Flexible premium payment options
Home Plus Insurance provides a higher level of cover, offering comprehensive protection for homeowners who want increased peace of mind. It offers all the same features and benefits as the Home policy, but with the added bonus of automatic cover for accidental damage and electric motor burnout.
You can also take advantage of a 25% safety net on top of the buildings sum insured for extra rebuilding costs, and a 25% safety net on top of the contents sum insured for extra costs to replace your contents.
- Offers all the same benefits and features as the Home policy with added extras
- Accidental damage cover
- Electric motor burnout cover
- 25% safety net on top of buildings sum insured to cover rebuilding costs
- 25% safety net on top of contents sum insured to cover replacement costs
- Up to two years’ temporary accommodation cover
- Cover for plants, trees and shrubs up to $2,000
- Also covers identity theft and credit card theft
What kind of exclusions are there?
Your SGIO home insurance claim will not be paid if it is caused by:
- Rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration, depreciation, wear or tear
- Erosion or actions of the sea
- Tree roots
- Tree lopping or felling at your address
- Lawful seizure or confiscation of your home or anything else covered by this policy
- War or terrorism
- Atmospheric conditions or extreme temperatures
- Mould or mildew
- You not taking reasonable care to protect your home and contents against loss or damage
- Vermin or insects, or by birds pecking, scratching or biting
- An intentional act or omission by you, your family member, or someone acting with your consent
- Any illegal activity that you or your family are involved in
- The mechanical, structural or electrical failure of an item
- Costs that arise due to business interruption
- Faulty design or workmanship
- Previous unrepaired damage
- You leaving your home unoccupied for at least 60 consecutive days and fail to maintain it in a lived-in state
- You failing to keep your home in good condition
What's the excess like?
If you make a claim on your SGIO policy, you may need to pay an excess. This is the amount you are required to contribute towards the cost of a claim. There are three excesses that may apply to your policy:
- Basic excess. This applies to most claims. However, you can choose your excess amount in order to adjust your premium. The following basic excess options are available: $100 (or nil if you are 50 years or older), $200, $300, $500, $750, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000 or $5,000.
- Earthquake excess. A $500 excess applies to claims for loss or damage caused by earthquake.
- Special excess. The insurer may impose a special excess to one or more listed events covered by your SGIO policy.
Who is eligible for SGIO home insurance?
SGIO offers its home insurance policies in Western Australia only. It does not offer cover in any other Australian state or territory, so customers from other regions are encouraged to obtain a quote from other members of the Insurance Australia Group, of which SGIO is a part. Customers in New South Wales, Queensland, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania can contact NRMA Insurance, while South Australian customers can contact SGIC.
How do I make a claim?
SGIO offers an easy paperless claims service and allows you to lodge a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are two ways to lodge a claim:
- Online. You can lodge your claim online via the insurer’s online claims portal. You will need to provide your policy number and details of your claim, while you can also track the progress of your claim at any time through the online Self Service Centre.
- Over the phone. You can answer some questions over the phone, just dial 13 32 33 to provide details of the event leading to your claim. You will also be advised of any excess you need to pay.
Before you file a claim, make sure that any incidents of theft, attempted theft or vandalism are reported to the police immediately. You must also never admit any liability or attempt to settle a claim against you, while it’s equally important that you promptly provide any information SGIO requests in order to process your claim.
Some other questions you may have
Ask an Expert