SGIO Home Insurance

Do you live in WA? Consider SGIO Home Insurance to protect your home.

3.7 ★★★★★ (17 reviews) Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

SGIO Home Insurance provides cover for homes in Western Australia. You can choose from three different policies; building insurance, contents insurance and a combined home and contents insurance policy.

These policies cover you from a range of mishaps like water damage, fire damage, theft and legal liability.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the SGIO website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Compare home insurance from other Aussie brands

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Westpac Home and Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER
St. George Home and Contents
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy online and you'll also save 30% on your first year’s premium. T&Cs Apply.
Domain Home Buildings & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Domain Insure uses property data to help build your quote faster.
Huddle Comprehensive Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your policy in the first year.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.
Green Company
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

What cover options does SGIO offer?

SGIO offer two different cover options. There is a basic and a comprehensive coverage option available.

This policy provides SGIO’s standard level of cover for your home and contents. It covers a wide range of insured events including storm, flood, fire, theft, malicious damage and more, including cover for removal of debris, demolition costs and up to 12 months of temporary accommodation.

Other benefits include cover for credit card theft, visitors’ belongings, keys and locks, loss of rent for landlords, and up to $20 million of legal liability protection. Accidental damage and electric motor burnout cover are available as optional extras.

  • Covers loss or damage
  • Available as buildings cover, contents cover, or combined buildings and contents cover
  • 12 months temporary accommodation costs
  • Removal of debris and demolition costs
  • Locks and keys
  • Loss of rent for landlords
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
  • Optional accidental damage and electric motor burnout cover
  • Flexibility to choose your own excess
  • 24/7 claims service and paperless claims
  • Flexible premium payment options

Home Plus Insurance provides a higher level of cover, offering comprehensive protection for homeowners who want increased peace of mind. It offers all the same features and benefits as the Home policy, but with the added bonus of automatic cover for accidental damage and electric motor burnout.

You can also take advantage of a 25% safety net on top of the buildings sum insured for extra rebuilding costs, and a 25% safety net on top of the contents sum insured for extra costs to replace your contents.

  • Offers all the same benefits and features as the Home policy with added extras
  • Accidental damage cover
  • Electric motor burnout cover
  • 25% safety net on top of buildings sum insured to cover rebuilding costs
  • 25% safety net on top of contents sum insured to cover replacement costs
  • Up to two years’ temporary accommodation cover
  • Cover for plants, trees and shrubs up to $2,000
  • Also covers identity theft and credit card theft

What kind of exclusions are there?

Your SGIO home insurance claim will not be paid if it is caused by:

  • Rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration, depreciation, wear or tear
  • Erosion or actions of the sea
  • Tree roots
  • Tree lopping or felling at your address
  • Lawful seizure or confiscation of your home or anything else covered by this policy
  • War or terrorism
  • Atmospheric conditions or extreme temperatures
  • Mould or mildew
  • You not taking reasonable care to protect your home and contents against loss or damage
  • Vermin or insects, or by birds pecking, scratching or biting
  • An intentional act or omission by you, your family member, or someone acting with your consent
  • Any illegal activity that you or your family are involved in
  • The mechanical, structural or electrical failure of an item
  • Costs that arise due to business interruption
  • Faulty design or workmanship
  • Previous unrepaired damage
  • You leaving your home unoccupied for at least 60 consecutive days and fail to maintain it in a lived-in state
  • You failing to keep your home in good condition

What's the excess like?

If you make a claim on your SGIO policy, you may need to pay an excess. This is the amount you are required to contribute towards the cost of a claim. There are three excesses that may apply to your policy:

  • Basic excess. This applies to most claims. However, you can choose your excess amount in order to adjust your premium. The following basic excess options are available: $100 (or nil if you are 50 years or older), $200, $300, $500, $750, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000 or $5,000.
  • Earthquake excess. A $500 excess applies to claims for loss or damage caused by earthquake.
  • Special excess. The insurer may impose a special excess to one or more listed events covered by your SGIO policy.

Who is eligible for SGIO home insurance?

SGIO offers its home insurance policies in Western Australia only. It does not offer cover in any other Australian state or territory, so customers from other regions are encouraged to obtain a quote from other members of the Insurance Australia Group, of which SGIO is a part. Customers in New South Wales, Queensland, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania can contact NRMA Insurance, while South Australian customers can contact SGIC.

How do I make a claim?

SGIO offers an easy paperless claims service and allows you to lodge a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are two ways to lodge a claim:

  • Online. You can lodge your claim online via the insurer’s online claims portal. You will need to provide your policy number and details of your claim, while you can also track the progress of your claim at any time through the online Self Service Centre.
  • Over the phone. You can answer some questions over the phone, just dial 13 32 33 to provide details of the event leading to your claim. You will also be advised of any excess you need to pay.

Before you file a claim, make sure that any incidents of theft, attempted theft or vandalism are reported to the police immediately. You must also never admit any liability or attempt to settle a claim against you, while it’s equally important that you promptly provide any information SGIO requests in order to process your claim.

Some other questions you may have

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    johnMay 14, 2018

    If I have a fixed safe in the house, are the contents insured?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniMay 14, 2018Staff

      Hi John,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      As you are aware, contents insurance provides crucial financial protection for all your most treasured possessions and that includes your safe even if that is fixed in your home. If you are considering taking out home insurance with SGIO, please visit their official page or contact them directly to request for quotation.

      Alternatively, refer to the link above to compare brands offering content insurance. You can start comparing quotes between insurers by clicking on the “Get Quote” button.

      Please ensure you review the relevant Product Disclosure Statements/Terms and Conditions before you sign up for a policy.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


Go to site