Transport Health Insurance
Mix and match, or choose Transport Health's cover for your Hospital and Extras combined policy.
Originally just for the transportation industry when established in 1888, Transport Health has been providing health cover for all Australians for five years. Their combined Hospitals and Extras Cover is great for young singles and couples making their first foray into the world of health insurance.
Top 3 feature
- Good for making a simple, easy-to-understand choice.
- Good for young people looking for their first health insurance policy.
- Good for mix and matching hospital and extras to meet your needs.
What Transport Health Combined Hospital and Extras Cover are available?
Transport Health offers mix and match combines policies, so you have the flexibility you need to pair the extras you like with the hospital cover you need.
Their provides one pre-packaged Hospital and Extras policy is Young Singles/Couples Combined Hospital Cover, for relatively young and healthy people without children. It offers mid-level hospital cover and includes Transport Health basic extras cover with useful added benefits.
Extras you'll be covered for include;
- Remedial massage
- Travel vaccinations
Hospital cover includes the following treatment;
- Emergency ambulance
- Tonsils, appendix and hernia
- Dental surgery (including wisdom teeth in hospital)
- Cancer-related surgery
- Joint reconstructions (not replacements)
- Back, neck and spine
- Implantation of a hearing device
- Eyes (not including cataracts)
- Male reproductive system
- Heart and vascular system
- Plastic and reconstructive services (where medically necessary)
Other benefits of Transport Health Hospital and Extras Cover
- Loyalty Reward. Transport Health offers a Loyalty Reward to thank customers for their continued support. If you have held membership of Young Couples cover for 24 consecutive months, you can upgrade to a Top Cover plan for pregnancy and birth-related services, without having to worry about sitting through any further waiting periods.
- Access Gap Cover. The mid-level hospital cover offered by the premade Young Singles and Couples policies includes Access Gap cover, which can be a useful way of minimising out-of-pocket hospital expenses with participating providers. Where there is a gap, you will know how much it is ahead of time.
- Claim for dental veneers and travel vaccinations. Both of which may be very useful for a younger person or a couple without children. While travel vaccination cover is relatively easy to find with a range of providers, policies that cover dental veneers are much rarer.
How do the costs work?
For your hospital cover, either excess or a co-payment will apply for when you visit hospital.
Excess is only paid for your first visit to hospital in a year, and you can reduce your excess by paying a higher premium.
A co-payment is applicable to each hospital visit, and some of Transport Health's policies include a co-payment instead of excess. The daily co-payment figure must be paid for the duration of your stay in hospital.
For services that aren't entirely covered by Medicare and your private health provider, you may have to pay the gap. Transport Health have access to a large network of doctors and hospitals through their Gap Cover Scheme, who have agreed to their No Gap Scheme to bill Transport Health directly, with no cost to you.
How to make a claim
When going to a Transport Health agreement hospital, the hospital will typically contact Transport Health directly to settle up, and you won't need to make a claim. However, you will need to pay the applicable $250 excess directly to the hospital following discharge.
Practitioners in hospitals may bill separately. When they choose to participate in the Access Gap scheme, the bill will be sent directly to Transport Health. When they do not, you can send a two-way claims form through Medicare.
To claim extras, you can generally just swipe your membership card where service providers have HICAPS facilities. For those that don't, you can send in a claims form instead, via email to email@example.com or in the post. You can also download the Transport Health Insurance App.