Aurora energy serves Tasmanian homes with gas and electricity, with a focus on renewable power through its AuroraGreen program.
Is Aurora Energy right for me?
- What does Aurora offer? Aurora is the state-owned energy provider for Tasmania, offering electricity and gas to Tasmanian residents.
- Product highlights. Full GreenPower accreditation and the ability to prepay your electricity account using the Aurora PAYG service.
- Watch out for. Unfortunately, Tasmanians don't have a choice with electricity providers, so you can't move elsewhere if you're not satisfied with your service.
Aurora electricity and gas
As Tasmania's state-owned energy retailer, Aurora doesn't have any competition when it comes to supplying electricity to Tasmanian residents, though TasGas is an alternative gas retailer.
While that means there's little opportunity to compare plans and save on your utility bills, it also means that Aurora can provide a full spectrum of services.
One of Aurora's unique services is a prepaid service called Aurora PAYG, where you can purchase credits to pay off your energy before you use it. Aurora is currently upgrading its PAYG service to a new system using smart meters called PAYG+. While not available to everyone, it is being rolled out first to existing PAYG customers.
Being a state-based retailer of energy, Aurora offers a number of funds and grants to Tasmanian businesses and groups to help support the local community.
|State||⚡ Electricity||♨️ Gas|
Does Aurora offer solar power?
Aurora doesn't offer solar power installations for its customers. Instead, homeowners will need to contact a dedicated solar system installer to get their home ready to generate electricity from the sun. Aurora does, however, offer a feed-in tariff for homes with solar panels installed that are connected to the grid, which feeds the electricity generated back into the Aurora network to offset some of the cost of your electricity bill.
Does Aurora offer GreenPower?
Aurora is a fully GreenPower accredited energy retailer through its AuroraGreen program. This program allows customers to offset the carbon produced from their electricity consumption by guaranteeing that Aurora will purchase the requested amount of energy from renewable power sources like wind farms, solar, hydro or biomass.
You can opt to add the GreenPower equivalent to 10%, 20%, 50%, 75% or 100% of your electricity bill, with the price varying depending on the percentage chosen.
For people who like to be in complete control of how much they spend every month, Aurora offers a convenient prepaid solution to energy bills to eligible customers. Just like a prepaid mobile plan, Aurora's PAYG program lets customers purchase their electricity in advance via a PAYG smart card that can be loaded with energy credits.
This smart card is then inserted into a compatible PAYG meter and the credits are transferred, allowing complete control over your energy spend, with no surprisingly large bills.
However, thanks to the old PAYG meters reaching the end of their life, Aurora is currently updating its PAYG program to the new PAYG+ program. Leveraging smart meters connected to the mobile networks in Tasmania, the new PAYG+ system replaces the older smart cards with an app for smartphones.
These smart meters provide feedback on your usage in 30-minute intervals for a more accurate reflection of the energy you actually use. Because they are always connected and offer nearly real-time usage information, Aurora can offer different pricing structures around peak and off-peak usage.
The PAYG+ offering will initially be available to PAYG customers as their meters are upgraded.
How can I pay my Aurora bills?
Aurora offers multiple payment plan options to choose from:
Why consider Aurora?
- Tasmanian born and bred. If you live on the Apple Isle, you don't really have a choice.
- Green power. Opt for AuroraGreen to source up to 100% of your electricity from renewable sources.
- PAYG+. If your home has a compatible smart meter, you can take control of your spending by paying up front.
- Payment options. Pay with direct debit, online payments, BPAY or Centrepay.
- Monthly billing. To help you budget better, Aurora's EasyPay averages the price of your annual usage over 12 months to offer simple, even, monthly instalments.
How do I contact Aurora for support?
|Residential gas and electricity||1300 132 003|
|Calling from overseas||+613 6237 3400|
|Switchboard||1300 132 007|
|Electricity faults||132 004|
|Gas faults||180 2111|