What can Origin Energy, one of the biggest names in the industry, offer Australians seeking a better deal on their energy costs?
⚡ Electricity plans available in NSW, ACT, VIC, QLD, SA | ♨ Gas plans available in NSW, ACT, VIC, QLD, SA
Origin Energy was Boral’s electric business before demerging in 2000 as a separate company. As a company it is involved in all facets of the energy industry including:
- Exploring and producing. Origin Energy are involved in both land and sea exploration for natural gas reserves.
- Electricity generation. Using both traditional means of generation as well as renewable including wind and solar power.
- Selling energy. Origin Energy is one of Australia's leading retailers of gas and electricity in both the residential and business markets.
- Renewable energy. Including wind, geothermal, solar and hydropower technologies.
What plans are offered by Origin Energy?
Origin Energy has a range of plans including choices with predictable rates, cost-effective deals or more renewable energy and natural gas options. You can choose from:
- Origin Maximiser: Maximise your discounts and get extra benefits with the comprehensive Origin Maximiser plan. Pay by direct debit to get the highest level Origin Energy discounts.
- Origin Saver: Balance value and benefits with the Origin Saver plan.
- Origin Supply: An affordable no-frills plan.
- Predictable Plan: Origin Energy's Predictable Plan delivers fixed rates and flexible payment options, letting you take control of your energy bill. Rates are based on previous usage, so no matter how much energy you use under this plan your rates won’t change for 12 months.
Does Origin Energy offer renewable options?
Origin Energy embraces renewable energy solutions, and is the first provider in Australia to offer renewable natural gas. With Origin Energy, you can choose from:
- GreenPower accredited energy. GreenPower is Australia’s accredited renewable energy scheme. When you sign up for this you choose to have a certain percentage of your home’s power use, either 25, 50, 75 or 100%, supplied to the grid with renewables. Your own power supply doesn’t change, but you’re adding more renewable energy to the system to offset your own power use.
- Green Gas. Origin Green Gas is a one-of-a-kind program that works in a similar fashion to GreenPower, but for gas. When you select it, Origin will offset your emissions through its independently audited Carbon Reduction Scheme. Once again, you’ll keep getting the same power as before but are doing your part for the environment.
- Home solar. Origin Home Solar Plans can save you money, and help save the world. Get a high quality system professionally installed, with full warranty, to reduce your energy bill today. Origin offers interest free solar payment plans to help you make the switch. Sign up, put down a $199 deposit and get a 24-months interest free solar payment plan when paying by credit card.
- Renewable combination. You can also opt to combine GreenPower, Green Gas or home solar.
How do I sign up with Origin Energy?
Signing up for Origin Energy is a fast and easy process. All you need to do is:
- Fill in your address to get prices and plans for your location
- Specify whether you’re already an Origin Energy customer, or only just making the switch. This lets it work out which discounts you may be eligible for.
- Select whether or not you already have home solar panels.
- Notify Origin Energy if you are moving home so they can take care of disconnecting the utilities from your old property and connect them at the new one.
- Pick an energy plan.
You will need to provide appropriate identification and other documents depending on your chosen plan. For the fixed rate Predictable Plan you’ll need to provide more information on your energy usage over the last year.
How can I pay my bills?
You have a range of payment options, with some plans having more than others.
- Direct debit is the recommended payment method. With the Origin Maximiser plan, you need to pay with direct debit to be eligible for discounts. Simply set it up to automatically pay the energy bills from your bank account.
- Make transactions easily with BPAY. Origin Energy's biller code is 130112.
- Set up an EasiPay payment plan for more control of your finances, and pay instalments towards your weekly, fortnightly or monthly energy bill.
- Mail a cheque to Origin Energy Holdings Limited, Private Bag 14825, Melbourne, VIC 8001.
- Pay in person at any Australia Post office with cheque, cash, accepted credit cards or EFTPOS.
How do I get assistance for outages and emergencies?
- Electricity and gas. In the event of an outage you should contact your local distributor for help. You search for the relevant contact details for your area on the Origin Energy website or call 13 24 61 to be put in touch with the right people.
- LPG gas. If you are an LPG gas customer and experience a bushfire emergency, you should call Origin Energy on 13 35 74 for assistance.