OVO Energy Review
Find out who OVO is and what electricity plans it offers
Establishment in 2009, OVO is now one of the biggest electricity suppliers in the UK. It recently started operating here in Australia, offering an energy plan to New South Wales residents that promises at least 10% renewable energy with a plan to expand to other states on the eastern seaboard within the next year.
Apply for OVO Energy securely online
Is OVO right for me?
Currently, OVO only offers one type of electricity energy plan, the One Plan, available from either Ausgrid or Endeavour in New South Wales. This energy plan has the following features:
- Flat rates. A flat rate scheme means you'll be paying the same rate for electricity no matter what time of day you use it. This sort of rate ignores peak and off-peak periods in favour of a constant price*.
- GreenPower. GreenPower is a government initiative to provide renewable energy to Australians. By default, 10% of your power on the One Plan will be certified renewable energy, but you have the option of upgrading to 100% for an extra charge.
- Bill smoothing. Bill smoothing spreads out your energy bill by taking your estimated average energy use for the year and cutting it up into 12 equal monthly instalments. This means you'll pay the same amount each month, and whatever you pay over or under your actual usage costs will give you credit or debit respectively. Note that bill smoothing isn't optional on One Plan, but required.
- OVO interest rewards. This is a loyalty reward for customers. If you end up in credit on your monthly payments by using less energy than predicted, you'll earn a percentage bonus on your credit balance depending on how long you've been with OVO. This rate starts at 3% and increases to 5% over two years.
- Monthly direct debit. By default, your estimated payments will be deducted directly from your bank account on a monthly basis. Direct debit is mandatory for One Plan – OVO does not allow you to pay bills manually.
*Note: this flat rate may change throughout your contract.
Does OVO offer solar?
For people in the Energex network (South East Queensland), OVO is offering a solar-feed in tariff on it's plans at a rate of 8c/kWh, capped at 5KW system size.
How green is OVO?
OVO doesn't yet have a Green Rating on the Australian market since it hasn't been introduced here yet.
While OVO does offer 10% GreenPower by default on its energy plan, the 100% GreenPower option comes with an extra charge on your normal energy charges. While its green options exist, they aren't the default for most customers.
Can I manage my plan from my phone?
While it doesn't exist yet for Australian consumers, OVO has plans to transfer its current UK energy management app over to the Australian market. The current UK app is rated 4.6/5 on the app store, and allows users to get accurate meter readings on how much power they've used, check their current energy balance and get an estimate of how much power they've used since their last bill.
Read more on this topic
How much does it cost to run your heater in winter (2020)? Heating is a huge energy cost in winter. Compare heating methods to see what your best options are.
What is the average (MJ) cost of gas in Australia? Find out if your gas rates are more or less than the average in your state.
How much does a swimming pool cost to run? Have a pool or planning to get one? Find out what parts are costing you the most money and how you can save with a few simple changes.
New protections may help Australians concerned with rising energy bills Australians are feeling the bill crunch more than ever, but will a decrease in wholesale power prices help?
What is the average (kWh) cost of electricity in Australia? The amount you pay per unit of power depends on many factors. Find out how much you should be paying and how you can save.
The 5 most expensive appliances to run in your home Using energy-efficient appliances could save you hundreds each year. These five appliances are costing you the most.
AGL vs Energy Australia AGL or Energy Australia: Who offers better rates in your state?
Energy Australia vs Origin Energy Australia vs Origin: Find out who will save you more money.
Is buy now pay later a good option for solar? Buy now, pay later seems like a great way to get an expensive solar system now and pay it off when you're reaping the benefits, but there is a catch.
Ask an Expert