- Electricity plans in NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT, and SA.
- Natural gas plans to all of the above excluding QLD
- Opt-in carbon offsets after you've been on one of their plans for at least six months.
- Fixed pricing and guaranteed discounts on their energy plans only last for 12 months, allowing costs to rise sharply after this period.
EnergyAustralia at a glance
EnergyAustralia offers reasonably priced plans that, for the most part, come with a fixed rate for your first 12 months.
Expect to receive anything between 5% and 16% less than the reference price depending on the state you're in.
What's the catch?
- Your bills may creep up once your benefit period runs out
- There aren't any exciting ongoing rewards or incentives tied to its plans such as Velocity or Qantas points, or discounts for online shopping
However, EnergyAustralia does help you embrace clean energy:
- Go 100% carbon neutral at no extra cost. This kicks in after your 6-month mark with EnergyAustralia
- You can also add GreenPower to your plan - at either 10, 20 or 100% increments. It'll add anywhere between $1-$8 to your monthly cost depending on the percentage and plan you choose.
- Good to know. The biggest difference between carbon neutral and GreenPower is the latter is Australia-based whereas carbon offsets can be applied anywhere. With GreenPower, you know where your money is going.
Where is EnergyAustralia available?
EnergyAustralia serves electricity and gas customers across New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and the ACT. South East Queensland can also purchase electricity from EnergyAustralia.
Energy plans and annual cost estimates by state
We've given a snapshot of Origin's electricity and gas plans (plus annual bill estimates) by state.
Click on your state below to get started. Please note that rates and other details were last checked 1 September 2021.
|Basic Home||Same as reference price||Variable||$1,393|
|No Frills||13% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,209|
|Total Plan||16% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,170|
Estimated cost inc GST for an average household using 3900 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the Ausgrid network.
|Basic Home||Same as reference price||Variable||$1,336|
|No Frills||9% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,219|
|Total Plan||12% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,175|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 4000 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the Citipower network.
|Basic Home||Same as reference price||Variable||$1,455|
|No Frills||9% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,325|
|Total Plan||14% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,251|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 4600 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the ENERGEX Ltd network.
|No Frills||N/A||12 months fixed rate||$1,225|
|Total Plan||N/A||12 months fixed rate||$1,193|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 4400 kWh / yearly on a flat rate with control load tariff in the ActewAGL Distribution network.
|Basic Home||Same as reference price||Variable||$1,716|
|No Frills||5% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,631|
|Total Plan||6% less||12 months fixed rate||$1,631|
Estimated cost inc GST for an average household using 4000 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the SA Power Networks - NSP network.
|No Frills||12 months fixed rate||$459|
|Total Plan||12 months fixed rate||$497|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 20000 MJ / yearly in the JEMENA network.
|No Frills||12 months fixed rate||$761|
|Total Plan||12 months fixed rate||$753|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 46000 MJ / yearly in the Australian Gas Networks Limited network.
|No Frills||12 months fixed rate||$915|
|Total Plan||12 months fixed rate||$851|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 20000 MJ / yearly in the ACTEWAGL Distribution network.
|No Frills||12 months fixed rate||$587|
|Total Plan||12 months fixed rate||$634|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 14000 MJ / yearly in the ENVESTRA network.
Can I save with EnergyAustralia by bundling gas and electricity?
Unfortunately not. However, what you do get is the convenience of having your energy bills under one company.
EnergyAustralia and Internet bundling
If you're keen to be with the same company for gas, electricity and Internet, EnergyAustralia is one to keep in mind. By bundling your NBN plan with energy, you can save $10 per month.
|EnergyAustralia Standard (NBN 25)||20Mbps||$70||$60|
|EnergyAustralia Standard Plus (NBN 50)||43.6Mbps||$80||$70|
Typical Evening Speed. These are speeds available at the busiest hours of the day (7-11pm)
What's the catch?
- You'll get locked into a 12-month contract (pay $120 to exit early
- You're paying more for less speeds compared to cheaper plans in our database
You can compare NBN plans here to find out if EnergyAustralia is really the best option for your home.
Does EnergyAustralia offer solar plans?
EnergyAustralia doesn't offer dedicated solar plans but customers can sign up to any of their electricity plans to get feed-in tariff (FiT).
Check out the rates below to see what you can get in your state.
- NSW: 9.5c/kWh
- Victoria: 10.2c/kWh
- ACT: 9.5c/kWh
- South Australia: 10.5c/kWh
- Queensland: 8.5c/kWh
- Good to know. Customers in Victoria are can also opt for time of use FiT instead:
- Peak (3pm-9pm weekdays): 12.5c/kWh
- Shoulder (7am-3pm, 9pm-10pm weekdays; 7am-10pm weekends: 9.8c/kWh
- Off peak (10pm-7am everyday): 9.1c/kWh
How green is EnergyAustralia?
EnergyAustralia offers 100% carbon offsets to electricity customers who opt in after being with them for six months. Keep in mind though that one of its products is carbon neutral, not the organisation itself.
Customers can also add-on GreenPower in 10%, 20% or 100% increments to allow more renewable energy back in the grid.
On the flipside, EnergyAustralia has higher than average investments in coal power stations and has no clear opposition to fossil fuels or coal seam gas. It also scored a 5.7/10 on the Green Electricity Guide, placing it in the top 30% of retailers.
User reviews and customer service
Handy mobile app
4.1 user review rating
Financial support available
EnergyAustralia user reviews and customer service
EnergyAustralia's user rating on Finder is a strong 4.3, with around 80% of users giving it 4 or the maximum 5 stars.
Alternatively, the 2019-2020 market report from the Australian Energy Regulator is another good source to look at. Here's how EnergyAustralia fared:
|Average call wait time||101 seconds||53 seconds||99 seconds|
|Calls abandoned before being answered||5%||9%||6%|
|Complaints (% of total customers)||2%||2%||2%|
How can I get in touch with EnergyAustralia?
There are a couple of ways to contact EnergyAustralia with your questions or concerns.
- Talk to them online via live chat
- Give them a call Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm AEST
Important notes: The estimated price we show by default is based on a single rate tariff. On your bill this might be known as a "peak tariff", "peak only" or an "anytime tariff". There are other tariff types available to customers and you may need to contact your provider if you are on these tariffs:
- Single rate with a controlled load
- Time of use
- Time of use with a controlled load
The price estimate should not be used as an official quote, but an indication of what your costs may be on the plan. It varies based on whether you provide us with your bill details. You can learn more here.
Icons made by Freepik, mangsaabguru from www.flaticon.com