- 2021 winner of Finder Green Awards for Green Energy Retailer of the Year (Overall)
- 100% carbon-neutral energy plans at no extra cost
- Handy mobile app to track usage and pay bills
- Option to purchase GreenPower at varying increments each month
- Option to add on GreenPower only available to businesses
- Gas plans only available to Victoria customers
Powershop at a glance
Powershop's taken the energy market by storm, largely because of its credibility as 'Australia's greenest energy provider'.
But its second point of difference is just as strong. It's leveraging a super savvy smartphone app which allows customers to become better acquainted with their energy usage and bills (including those with solar panels).
How does that work exactly?
- Pre-purchase Powerpacks through the app to take control of your bill
- We've broken these down for you below, but in a nutshell, they allow you to pay a premium for GreenPower and community projects; buy electricity in advance, and get access to loyalty rewards and discounts
- You can even use its Insights and Heatmap tools for all things related to your solar panels such as usage and how much you're feeding back into the grid
There's no lock-in contract or exit fees involved so you can always see if Powershop's novel approach to energy works for you or not.
What's the catch?
- If you're an existing customer, you have 48 hours to get a refund for your Powerpack; new customers get a 7-day grace period
- Consider your energy usage before buying Powershop's Future Savings pack. Pre-purchasing a lot of energy in advance may not be right for you
- Your plan comes with variable rates so your bills might not stay constant throughout the year
- Get $100 off your first bill
- Switch to the Powershop $100 offer and get $100 off your first electricity bill. T&Cs apply.
Where is Powershop available?
Powershop provides electricity plans to customers in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and South East Queensland, plus gas plans in Victoria and some parts of NSW.
It's owned by Meridian Energy, Australia's largest 100% renewable energy generator.
Energy plans and annual cost estimates by state
Here's a snapshot of Powershop's energy plans (plus annual bill estimates by state).
Click on your state below to get started. Please note that rates and other details were last updated on 10 September 2021.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral Offer||25.3% less||$1,115|
Estimated cost inc GST for an average household using 3900 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the Ausgrid network.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral||27.5% less||$1,101|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 4000 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the Citipower network.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral Offer||18.7% less||$1,247|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 4600 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the ENERGEX Ltd network.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral Offer||20.8% less||$1,406|
Estimated cost inc GST for an average household using 4000 kWh / yearly on a flat rate tariff in the SA Power Networks - NSP network.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral||$662|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 18500 MJ / yearly in the JEMENA network.
|Powershop 100% Carbon Neutral Offer||$1,015|
Estimated cost inc GST for a household using 37500 MJ / yearly in the AGN Central network network.
Powershop Powerpacks - how do they work?
As one of its biggest points of difference, Powershop Powerpacks are meant to give Aussies a new kind of relationship with their energy usage and bills. Its tagline is 'buy a powerpack to cover your past, current or future energy usage'.
Wondering how? Here's a breakdown of what's on offer.
Loyalty and Reward pack: Limited time offers that'll get you access to loyalty discounts and fun prize draws.
|Top Up Pack:||Pay in advance with 100% carbon offset energy whenever you want.|
|GreenPower Powerpack:||Pay in advance with 100% carbon offset energy whenever you want.|
|Future Savings:||Pay beforehand to cover your energy usage in advance. Your savings might get bigger the further out you buy them. Keep in mind the price of these packs is based on usage estimates which will vary across different periods. Consider if this is right for you before purchasing.|
|Your Community Energy:||Pay a premium price (6.6c/kWh) to help build community renewable energy projects.|
Does Powershop offer solar plans?
Powershop doesn't have dedicated solar plans but it supports solar panel owners and enthusiasts in a few different ways:
- Receive feed-in tariffs for your solar (state breakdown given below)
- Powershop offer two important tools - Insights and Heatmap - to help you track energy usage, see how much you're feeding into the grid, and how much energy you're producing
- Free tailored quote through its website if you're keen to get solar panels installed
Keep in mind, you'll need a smart meter installed in your home to make use of its tools. However, Powershop can help you with that.
What feed-in tariffs should I expect?
Here's a breakdown of feed-in tariffs across the states.
- NSW: 5c/kWh
- VIC: 6.7c/kWh
- QLD: 3.5c/kWh
- SA: 3c/kWh
How green is Powershop?
Besides winning the Finder Green Awards for Green Energy Retailer of the Year in both 2020 and 2021, Powershop was also rated by Greenpeace as Australia's greenest energy company for three years in a row.
Not only does Powershop automatically carbon offset 100% of its customers' energy usage for no additional cost, it also supports the government's GreenPower initiative.
Thanks to its Powerpacks, you can buy GreenPower at varying increments month-to-month, whether it's 26% one month, 100% another.
Powershop customer support
Handy mobile app Financial support available Multiple points of contact
Powershop is a digital enthusiast's dream energy company. You're going to have a hard time not being organised about energy.
Its smartphone app allows you to easily stay on top of your power use and pay your bills on the go. In fact, you can even buy your power whenever you want.
How can I get in touch with Powershop?
Luckily, Powershop offers a few different ways to get in touch with its customer support team.
- Call its customer service team between 8am and 7pm, Monday to Friday
- Send it an email
- Skype with the one of the members of its support team
- Talk to an agent via live chat
Looking to switch to Powershop?
If Powershop's peaked your interest, all you need to do is click the green "Go to site" button and get started. You can organise your move with Powershop up to one month in advance of your move-in date.
For more details on switching, deep dive into our deep dive into our guide on switching energy plans.
Important notes: The estimated price we show by default is based on a single rate tariff. On your bill this might be known as a "peak tariff", "peak only" or an "anytime tariff". There are other tariff types available to customers and you may need to contact your provider if you are on these tariffs:
- Single rate with a controlled load
- Time of use
- Time of use with a controlled load
The price estimate should not be used as an official quote, but an indication of what your costs may be on the plan. It varies based on whether you provide us with your bill details. You can learn more here.
Icons made by Freepik, mangsaabguru from www.flaticon.com