Thinking about switching to AGL? Find out what the oldest and most established energy provider in Australia has to offer.
These days the Australian Gas Light Company simply goes by the name AGL. It got its start providing gas lighting to Sydney in 1837, and now provides electricity and gas options across Australia.
AGL is one of the most diverse power suppliers in Australia with a range of gas, electric, solar PV, hydroelectric, wind power, landfill gas and biomass power sources. If you want to combine the benefits of going green with the advantages of a reliable, established and high quality power company, AGL might be worth considering.
Compare AGL plans by speaking to an energy consultant
Complete the form with some details about your residential or business electricity and gas needs and you'll be contacted by a consultant for an obligation-free discussion about your options.
The consultant will work with you to compare a range of energy suppliers in your area.
You may also receive a quote from the below providers.
What energy plans does AGL offer?
AGL offers electricity, gas and solar plans for homes across NSW, QLD, SA and VIC. Select your location to see what’s available.
Does AGL offer solar power and other renewables?
Yes. AGL is one of Australia’s premier solar power and renewable energy suppliers, sourcing electricity from solar photovoltaics, hydroelectric, biomass, landfill gas, biogas, thermal energies and wind power.
Solar from AGL
If you want make the switch to renewables with solar power, AGL is a solid choice because it can offer installation, integration and maintenance services.
- If you already have solar panels, you can make the switch by contacting AGL. It will work with you to draw up a contract, and send you an info pack with everything you need to know. Confirm all the details, read the fine print and make sure everything is to your satisfaction, and then after signing up you can start accessing AGL Solar Command to get the most out of your system.
- If you do not already have solar panels installed, AGL can make it happen. Call it to speak with a solar expert who can answer all your questions and help you determine whether solar is really the right way to go with consideration to your roof direction, space and strength, optimal installation procedures and other factors.
AGL renewable energy plans
Add AGL Green Choice products to your plan to power your household with renewable energy. When you add these, AGL will source electricity equal to 10%, 20% or 100% of your entire household energy consumption from renewable sources.
What are the benefits of signing up with AGL?
- Choose electricity or gas, or combine both for an added discount. AGL offers a range of power sources, depending on what's available at your location.
- Get your power with a provider that has a range of eco-friendly sources. AGL sources energy from a range of renewables, making it easier to deliver cleaner energy.
- Earn flybuys points with AGL. Energy bills are an unavoidable expense that you will always have to pay. As such, it makes a lot of sense to get rewarded for this cost. For every dollar you spend on eligible residential AGL gas or electricity bills, or AGL products and services, you could get one flybuys point, while eligible new customers can get up to 10,000 when signing up to AGL online (certain customers, such as those who have a solar PV system, are not eligible).
- Enjoy great AGL rewards. Signing on with AGL can get you access to discounted gift cards, movie tickets, meals, travel, accommodation, attractions, theme parks and more. Stay on top of your available rewards by signing up for the newsletter or simply checking online to see what’s available. These freebies are unlimited and you can keep getting them until your membership expires.
- Take advantage of AGL energy tools. These include AGL Energy Online, AGL IQ and AGL’s Energy App. These let you more closely manage and stay on top of your household electricity usage, monitor and identify the biggest costs so you can save more money, set goals and track performance, pay your bills wherever you are, build and personalise energy saving plans, and much more.
- Enjoy more payment options. Pay with direct debit, eBilling, BPAY, credit card, post in a cheque, or even pay in person at any post office.
- Take advantage of bill smoothing. Energy costs change throughout the year which can lead to unexpected shortfalls and be a real headache for budget and planning purposes. AGL bill smoothing eases the pain by averaging the total estimated cost of your annual energy bill across the year in your choice of weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments.
How to sign up with AGL
AGL makes signing up easy, with the online process taking five minutes. Simply select the service and energy plan you want and fill out your account details, and AGL can connect you. Besides an email address, the only documents you need on hand are a drivers licence, Medicare card or passport to complete the sign up.
- Life support machines. If you are wanting to sign up to AGL and have a life support machine installed at your residence you must call them at 131 245.
How can I pay my bills
AGL offers multiple payment plan options, and you can choose from:
- Pay online. Visit the site, enter the bill reference number provided, and pay online with credit card or PayPal.
- Set up a direct debit. This way you can automatically pay the bills when due, drawn from your chosen savings, cheque, credit card or PayPal account.
- Use BPAY. Efficiently and easily pay the bills with this method, with the added bonus of no paperwork.
- Pay by Centrepay. Customers who get Centrelink payments can organise for a regular proportion of these go directly to AGL to pay the bills. This is best used with bill smoothing to avoid unexpected shortfalls.
- Pay by mail. Send your payment slip together with a cheque or money order to AGL Sales Pty Ltd, Locked Bag 20024, Melbourne VIC, 3001.
- Pay in Person. Simply visit any Australia Post branch to pay in person with a variety of payment methods and options.
Who do I call for help or assistance?
- Power outages. If you are experiencing power outages, or if your electricity isn’t working, call the Faults and Emergencies phone number on the front of your AGL bill. This will get you in touch with the power distribution company in your area. They’re the ones who will generally be responsible for solving these problems.
- Gas flow problems. For gas issues, including if you have no gas at all, it’s been disconnected for unknown reasons, if your meter was stolen or if you need a meter re-light, call AGL on 131 245.
Compare AGL electricity and gas plans with help from a broker