The Everyday 55+ Account is an uncomplicated retirement bank account from CUA, Australia’s largest customer owned banking institution. This account rewards you with a stepped rate of interest on your everyday funds and includes Visa Debit Card. Access your money when you want it for free.
What are the features of the CUA 55+ Account?
- Interest rate. The CUA Everyday 55+ Account has a stepped interest rate. Interest is calculated daily and paid to your account on the last day of the month.
- No conditions. There are no monthly deposit or withdrawal conditions. This account gives you on call access to your money as well as interest.
- Account access. Withdraw your money when you want it. Register for online and telephone banking so you can make electronic transfers to and from the CUA 55+ Account and make EFTPOS purchases and withdraw cash from ATMs using the Visa Debit Card.
- Visa debit card. Get a Visa Debit Card when you apply for the CUA Everyday 55+ Account. You can use this card to make cash withdrawals at rediATMs, over the counter and for online purchases.
- ATM withdrawals. Use the Visa Debit Card to make free ATM withdrawals from rediATMs when you withdraw more than $50. A $1.50 fee applies if you withdraw less than $50 from a rediATM.
- BPAY payments. Pay your bills by making BPAY payments from CUA internet or mobile banking.
- Branch access. Make free staff assisted withdrawals over the counter at CUA branches and at Australia Post retail outlets via Bank@Post when you withdraw more than $50 cash.
- Direct credit and direct debit. Get automatic payments like your wage paid into this account, and set up recurring payments from this account such as paying your insurance premiums or phone bill each month.
- CUA mobile banking application. Download the CUA mobile banking application to your smartphone or tablet to check your account balance, pay bills and review your transaction history 24/7.
- Offset account. The CUA Everyday 55+ Account can be offset against your CUA home loan.
- Extras. Open a CUA Term Deposit in conjunction with this account and get special rates when you lock in your savings for more than 1 year.
- Government guarantee. The government will guarantee your deposit up to $250,000.
- Linked Visa debit card
- No monthly account fee
- Earn interest on your balance
- Need to be at least 55 years of age
How do I apply for the CU Everyday 55+ Account
To open the CUA Everyday 55+ Account, visit a CUA branch or get in touch with a CUA representative over the phone. If you’re an existing CUA member, you can apply for this account by logging on the CUA internet banking facility.
Eligibility criteria for this account applies as follows.
- Age. You must be 55 years or older to apply for this account.
- Deposit. You must make a minimum deposit of $1 when you open this account.
- Membership. You must be an existing CUA member to open this account or to apply online. Visit a CUA branch and provide the identification documents listed below to become a member of the credit union.
Verify your identity at a CUA branch to become a member and open the CUA Everyday 55+ Account. You can use one form of primary photographic identification or a combination or non-photographic forms of identification.
- Primary identification: Australian or New Zealand Drivers LIcence, government issued proof of age card, Australian passport or current New Zealand passport.
- Secondary identification: Australian birth certificate, Centrelink pension card, Australian citizenship certificate, overseas birth certificate, Australian Tax Office Tax Assessment, proof of Australian government benefit, Australian rates notice or utility bill issued in the past 3 months.
It’s not compulsory to provide your Tax File Number (TFN) to CUA. If you don’t give this information to CUA, they will withhold tax on any interest earnings at the marginal tax rate.
The account can be opened right away and you can start making deposits once you become a member of the credit union. The Visa Debit Card can take up to 2 weeks to order and can be collected from a CUA branch or sent to your postal address.