Best electricity and gas providers Queensland
How to compare and find the best electricity and gas deals in Queensland.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Find the best electricity and gas deal in Queensland right now.
We've searched far and wide to find the best energy providers supplying the residents in South East Queensland (if you're outside of South East Queensland you can only choose between a few Ergon Energy plans).
Best electricity and gas providers in Queensland
Our top 3 gas and electricity providers in Queensland are ranked according to the price of their cheapest plan, how many customers the companies have and what percentage of those customers made complaints.
- Keep in mind: The term "best" is subjective and will likely differ from person to person.
Best electricity provider in Queensland
Origin and AGL are neck and neck in terms of price but AGL tops the chart for the lowest number of complaints among the 3. EnergyAustralia comes second for having a lower-priced electricity plan.
Best gas provider in Queensland
AGL does have the largest market share in the state, along with the lowest average rates and relatively low number of complaints. GloBird also has one of the smaller market shares but the lowest average rates and number of complaints. Discovery Energy's number of complaints is the highest of the top 3.
Which providers supply electricity in Queensland?
Compare all energy providers in South East Queensland below.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Who provides both electricity and gas in Queensland?
Not every energy provider sells both electricity and gas in Queensland. Here's a list of those that do:
How to compare and find the best electricity plan in Queensland
When looking to find the best electricity plan in Queensland it's important to consider a few factors such as:
- Cost. Consider if you're getting the best value for your money. The cheapest plan may not be the best electricity plan for you.
- Variable vs fixed rates plans. The cost of your electricity on a variable rate plan isn't locked in so the cheapest priced energy plan one day may not be the cheapest priced plan in a month's time. While less widely available a fixed-rate energy plan will include a guarantee that your usage charge is locked for 12 months. Fixed rate plans are typically a little more expensive but you're protected from price volatility.
- Discounts and other bonuses. Look out for bonus credits, reward points and other offers which might sweeten the deal.
- Customer service. If being able to check your bills easily online or via a mobile phone app is important to you take a look at the customer service each retailer provides. Some retailers offer options for a monthly payment if you prefer that instead of quarterly payments.
- Hidden fees. Some retailers charge a high disconnection fee if you move house. If you're a renter it could be good to check this before you sign up.
More guides on Finder
Energy statistics Australia 2022
Find out how much the average household spends on energy, how Australia's energy prices compare globally, and statistics on energy stress.
How to switch energy providers in Australia
Switch energy providers in 3 easy steps.
Best electricity and gas providers in Victoria
We've curated a list of best electricity and gas providers in Victoria.
Best electricity and gas providers in NSW
We've curated a list of the best electricity and gas providers in NSW based on the latest prices available as of 3 June.
Compare gas providers in the NT
Find out how the NT gas market works and compare your options now.
Lower your household bills
Compare mobile broadband services, perfect for renters and travellers.
Ask an Expert