The Bankwest Student Account gives you easy access to your money through a debit Mastercard, and you don’t have to pay any ATM fees when you use Bankwest and CommBank ATMs. Through Student Edge, account holders can get discounts on brands such as Apple Store for Education, Hoyts and McDonald's. You don’t have to pay any ongoing monthly fees to maintain this account, and the money in your account earns interest.
What are the features of the Bankwest Student Account?
- Access to funds. You can access funds in your account using a debit Mastercard at ATMs and EFTPOS terminals alike. You can use your card details of make purchases and pay bills online and over the phone. If required, you can visit a Bankwest branch to make an over-the-counter withdrawal. You can also use this account for setting up direct debits.
- Fee free transactions. You can use the linked Mastercard debit card for free at more than 4,000 Bankwest and CommBank ATMs across Australia. Using the debit card at EFTPOS terminals across Australia is free, provided you don’t use the credit button. Debit transfers and payments made using the bank’s online and phone banking platforms are also free.
- Discounts. You can get discounts through Student Edge, the largest member-based organisation of high school and tertiary students in Australia. Some of the brands you can get discounts on include Apple Store for Education, Hoyts Cinema, City Beach Australia and McDonald's.
- Fees. This account does not attract any ongoing account keeping fees. Counter withdrawals attract $5 per transaction, and you would have to pay fees when you use non Bankwest and CommBank ATMs in Australia. If you use your card overseas you’ll have to pay a foreign transaction fee of 2.95%. Using an overseas ATM will attract a $5 fee for every transaction. While you get two free operator assisted transaction and balance enquiries per month, any subsequent enquiry attracts a fee of $1.
- Mastercard PayPass. This feature lets you use your debit card to make contactless payments for purchases less than $100. All you have to do is look for the PayPass symbol.
- Card security. The debit Mastercard this account comes with uses an embedded microchip to protect your information. This technology offers considerably more protection against fraud when compared to cards that rely only on magnetic strips. When you use your card details to make online transactions, Mastercard SecureCode provides an added layer of security.
- Minimum balance requirement. This account does not have any minimum account opening or ongoing balance requirement.
- Get discounts from a range of brands like McDonalds, Hoyts and City Beach
- $0 ATM fees at over 4,000 Bankwest and CommBank ATMs
- $0 monthly fees
- Need to be over 15 years old
How do I apply for the Bankwest Student Account?
You can apply for this account online or by visiting a Bankwest branch. Visit the Bankwest website to apply online, but only after you go through the following:
- Minimum age. You must be at least 15 years of age to apply online.
- Residency requirements. You can get the debit Mastercard only if you’re an Australian citizen or a temporary or permanent resident. You should be over 15 years of age and have an Australian residential address.
- Other requirements. You can apply for this account as a full-time secondary student, a tertiary or TAFE student, an apprentice or a trainee.
Applying requires that you provide different types of information, which includes the following:
- Identification. Provide one form of primary ID with photo such as your driver’s license or photo. Alternatively, you can provide two forms of primary IDs without photos which can include a government benefits card and a birth certificate. You can also open this account by providing one form of primary ID without a photo and one form of secondary ID.
- Tax file number. By providing your tax file number you don’t have to pay withholding tax on this account.
- Other details. If you’re a tertiary or TAFE student over 17 years old you have to provide proof of enrolment. If you’re an apprentice or a trainee over 17 years old you’ll have to provide relevant documentation from an approved state based apprenticeship centre.
Once you apply you receive a confirmation email. If you provide all the required information the bank opens your account immediately. You should get your debit Mastercard in the following seven to 10 working days. If the bank needs you to complete an ID check you’ll have to visit a Bankwest branch or a participating Post Office. You can also send certified copies of your identification documents via regular mail.