Bankwest Children’s Savings Account
Get your kids on the right savings track early with an account that encourages them to tuck their pocket change away.
Designed for Australian children under the age of 14, the Bankwest Children’s Savings Account pays a competitive rate of interest so that kids can see how fast their money can grow. There are no fees eating away at the savings, and parents are able to quickly access the account through online banking or over the phone.
Maximum variable rate
Base interest rate
Monthly account keeping fee
You will not be charged any account keeping fees with the Children's Savings Account.
The interest rates for this account are variable and tiered to give you the most value for higher balances.
|$0 to $2,999||0.01% p.a.|
|$3,000 to $9,999||0.05% p.a.|
|$10,000 to $19,999||0.3% p.a.|
Interest is calculated daily on the end of the day balance and credited into the account once a month. The interest rate is variable, which means it could change according to the movements of the RBA cash rate.
You are not required to maintain a minimum balance with this account, nor do you have to meet any terms such as withdrawal limits in order to earn interest.
Parents or guardians are able to access this account using Bankwest's online banking platform.
You can set up electronic payments into the account to help build the savings quickly.
This account is for Australian children under the age of 14.
The child is the account holder, but not an authorised signatory for the account. Only the parent or guardian is permitted to make withdrawals from the account online or over the phone. If you like the features of these accounts it might be a good idea to look over some of the other Bankwest Savings Accounts, including ones designed specially for students, retirees and almost anyone else who wants to save more money.
To see how much interest you will actually earn, in real dollar amounts, you might also consider using a savings calculator to compare accounts in detail.
How to applyThe Bankwest Children's Savings Account gives you a lot to consider when it comes to setting up your kids' financial future. If you think that these features give you the most benefit, you can apply for the account by visiting a local branch or over the phone.
Before making the trip to Bankwest, check to ensure that you are able to meet the eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. Account holders must be aged 14 or younger, while the assigned signatory for the account needs to be at least 18 years of age.
- Residency requirements. Australian residents who have an Australian residential address can apply.
- Depository requirements. There is no opening deposit needed in order to activate this account.
If you are already a Bankwest customer, they will already have most of the information needed in order to complete your application.
If you are new to Bankwest you will need to bring the following documentation with you when applying:
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) and/or exemption codes are used on interest earning accounts to ensure that the withholding amount on your gains is correct.
- Identification. Original copies of your photo identification such as a driver's licence or passport. If neither of those is available you can provide one non-photo ID along with one secondary ID. For the child account holder you will need to bring their Australian birth certificate.
What happens after I submit my application?
Once Bankwest has confirmed the information provided on the application, they will contact you with the details of your Children's Savings Account including account number so that you can begin emptying the piggy bank into an interest earning savings account.