Compare Illawarra Credit Union savings accounts
With convenient accessibility including a mobile lending team, Illawarra Credit Union makes it easy to manage your money.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Illawarra Credit Union has been growing since 1972, and is now a division of Community Alliance Credit Union Limited, which allows for a larger selection of services and products that are comparable to big banks. Local branches can be found throughout Illawarra, but all Australians can bank with the credit union with the use of online and mobile services and ATM access provided by one of the nation’s largest networks.
Who is Illawarra Credit Union?
Illawarra Credit Union offers banking products to their members that meet the needs at every stage of life. From transaction accounts that pay interest to savings accounts that are geared to meet a specific need, each product is comparable to what you find with larger financial institutions. Banking is made easy if you are outside of the Illawarra region with access to your money through the rediATM network and to your accounts online, from your mobile device, or over the phone.
What is internet banking like for Illawarra Credit Union?
You are provided with multiple means of accessing your accounts around the clock, including through Illawarra Credit Union’s online banking system. Using encryption technology to protect your funds, you can bank with confidence from anywhere in the world.
Setting up internet banking is simple once you have been given your member number and special access code. Once you have registered for the service you can login and begin to make your transactions through the many features they provide you.
Notable features include:
- Accessibility from anywhere at anytime
- Money transfers between accounts
- Money transfers to other financial institutions
- Real time balance updates
- Setting up your regular payments to be made electronically
- The use of BPAY to pay your bills on time
What about the mobile app?Image Source: App Store
What transaction accounts are offered by Illawarra Credit Union?
- Everyday Student. A transaction account for students with no monthly account keeping fees.
- Everyday. A day to day banking account that can meet all of your financial needs. You can choose between a rediCARD or Visa debit card to make purchases or get cash when you need it, while maintaining control over your transaction fees.
- Everyday Plus. Designed exclusively for Australians receiving a pension, this account provides you with the same access as the standard Everyday Account, except you earn a competitive interest rate on your balance which is paid into your account once a quarter.
What high interest savings accounts are offered by Illawarra Credit Union?
- Wildlife Saver. Not only do children under the age of 14 earn bonus interest on their savings when monthly conditions are met, they get free entry into the Symbio Wildlife Park along with other freebies once inside.
- Saver. With access limited to online and phone transfers, you are rewarded with a competitive rate of interest on your balance, with payments made into the account monthly. There are no deposit requirements to meet and you will not be charged any fees.
- Bonus Saver. You are given all of the benefits that the Saver Account provides, only with a higher interest rate for meeting the monthly deposit requirements. This account provides a way to meet a goal without giving up access to your money.
What term deposits are offered by Illawarra Credit Union?
By restricting access to your money for a set period of time, you can earn a fixed interest rate on your deposits starting at $1,000. Choose between terms that range from one month to three years and how often your interest earnings are paid into a nominated account.Back to top
What are the pros and cons of banking with Illawarra Credit Union?
- Accessibility. With Visa debit card, rediATM and internet access available, you will find it easy to keep on top of your accounts.
- Bonus interest. With a number of the savings accounts offered you have the opportunity to increase your funds with bonus interest.
- Mobile app. Available for android and iPhone, the mobile app from Illawarra Credit Union lets you access your accounts at any time.
- Term deposit. You are given the opportunity to increase your monthly income by choosing to receive your interest earnings with more frequency.
- Membership. You do need to apply for membership to open any account with the credit union. This entails filling out an online application form and paying $2 for your share.
- Branch availability. Branch banking is limited due to them being localised to one region of Australia.
How do I apply for an Illawarra Credit Union account?
So long as you have already been approved for membership, you are able to apply for any account online. The age requirement and how much money you need as an initial deposit will depend on the account you are interested in, but all applicants must be permanent residents or Australian citizens. Have your photo identification ready and your tax file number (TFN) to avoid deductions on your interest earnings. After submitting your request for an account, you will hear back from the credit union with the details of your new account.
More guides on Finder
With interest rates so low, are savings accounts still worth it?
Interest rates on Australian savings accounts are at record lows, but there are a few key benefits to keeping cash in a savings account.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Afterpay to offer savings accounts: Is it becoming a neobank?
Afterpay will offer a savings account and money-management products to its customers in 2021 through a partnership with Westpac.
Bank Australia Commercial Visa credit card
Designed to help you track business spending, this Bank Australia credit card offers cards for employees and interest-free days on purchases.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 2: Check and improve your credit score
Understand your credit score with the Finder Financial Fitness Challenge.
UBank has dropped its savings account rate, how does it compare now?
UBank has cut the interest rate on its popular USave savings account down to 1.46% p.a. Here are a few accounts still offering a higher bonus rate.
Over the limit: Pandemic pushes 2 million Aussies beyond credit means
Soaring unemployment and wage cuts have seen people increasingly overdrawing their credit cards, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Defence Bank Foundation Credit Card
This card gives you a way to support a program that matches rescue dogs with veterans in need and enjoy a low interest rate on all your spending.
Illawarra Credit Union Low Rate credit card
The Illawarra Credit Union Low Rate credit card gives you simple features, mobile payments and a $0 annual fee in the first year.
P&N Bank & Transaction Account
An everyday transaction account with no account keeping fees and access to Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
Ask an Expert