Athena Home Loan Review
Get a competitive mortgage offer from Athena, a high-tech mortgage fintech lender. Compare rates for home owners and investors.
Richard Whitten is an editor at Finder, and has been covering home loans and the property market in Australia for the last 4 years. He has written for Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine and Homely, as well as multiple banks and lenders. Richard has a Certificate IV in Finance and Mortgage Broking, a Bachelor of Education from the University of Sydney and a Graduate Certificate in Communication. He enjoys helping people understand the ins and outs of mortgages so they can make smarter property decisions. Richard trained as a high school teacher but found it easier to manage personal finances than a classroom full of kids. Before joining Finder, he edited textbooks and taught English in South Korea.
This loan has principal and interest repayments and rates for investors and owner occupiers. Previously only available for refinance, this loan is now available for new borrowers as well.
Athena mortgages are only available for borrowers living in capital or major regional cities.
About this loan
What are the features and benefits of the Athena Variable Home Loan?
- Loan amount and purpose. The Athena Variable Home Loan has a minimum borrowing amount of just $100,000 and a maximum borrowing amount of $2,000,000.
- Rate reductions. As you pay off your Athena home loan and build equity, Athena will automatically lower your interest rate (principal and interest repayments only). This is a feature few lenders offer.
- Repayment flexibility. You can repay this loan monthly, weekly or fortnightly, and there is no limit on extra repayments.
- Loan-to-value ratio. You can borrow up to 80% of your property's value.
- Fees. There are no fees.
What fees and charges come with this loan?
Athena charges no fees.
- Switching fee: There is no switching fee.
- Settlement fee: There is no longer a settlement fee.
How to apply
If you'd like to apply for this product or just get more information, click the green button and follow the application process to speak to an Athena mortgage specialist.
To be eligible for an Athena home loan you will need:
- To be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- To have good credit history.
- To be buying in a capital city or large regional city.
With any home loan application you will also need the following documents:
- Identification documents. You will need identification such as a driver's license, passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of income documents. Recent payslips can establish your income.
- Asset and liability documents. You need to provide documents showing your current assets (savings accounts, investments) and liabilities (your outstanding debt).