Athena Home Loan Review
Get a competitive mortgage offer from Athena, a high-tech mortgage fintech lender. Compare rates for home owners and investors.
Richard Whitten is a senior writer at Finder covering home loans and property. He helps everyone understand the ins and outs of mortgages so they can make smarter property decisions. He has written for Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine, Homely, and for multiple banks and lenders. Richard trained as a high school teacher but found it easier to manage personal finances than a classroom full of kids. Before joining Finder, he edited textbooks and taught English in South Korea. Richard has a Bachelor of Education, a Graduate Certificate in Communication and is currently studying a Certificate IV in Finance and Mortgage Broking.
This loan has principal and interest repayments and rates for investors and owner occupiers. Previously only available for refinance, this loan is now available for new borrowers as well.
Athena mortgages are only available for borrowers living in capital or major regional cities.
About this loan
What are the features and benefits of the Athena Variable Home Loan?
- Loan amount and purpose. The Athena Variable Home Loan has a minimum borrowing amount of just $100,000 and a maximum borrowing amount of $2,000,000.
- Rate reductions. As you pay off your Athena home loan and build equity, Athena will automatically lower your interest rate (principal and interest repayments only). This is a feature few lenders offer.
- Repayment flexibility. You can repay this loan monthly, weekly or fortnightly, and there is no limit on extra repayments.
- Loan-to-value ratio. You can borrow up to 80% of your property's value.
- Fees. There are no fees.
What fees and charges come with this loan?
Athena charges no fees.
- Switching fee: $0. There is no switching fee.
- Settlement fee: $0. There is no longer a settlement fee.
How to apply
If you'd like to apply for this product or just get more information, click the green button and follow the application process to speak to an Athena mortgage specialist.
To be eligible for an Athena home loan you will need:
- To be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- To have good credit history.
- To be buying in a capital city or large regional city.
With any home loan application you will also need the following documents:
- Identification documents. You will need identification such as a driver's license, passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of income documents. Recent payslips can establish your income.
- Asset and liability documents. You need to provide documents showing your current assets (savings accounts, investments) and liabilities (your outstanding debt).
Home Loan OffersImportant Information*
Up to $3,000 refinance cashback. A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.
Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. With this competitive variable rate loan from St.George, refinancers borrowing $250,000+ can get up $4,000 cashback and borrow up to 90% of the property's value. (Terms, conditions & exclusions apply).
A competitive variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers $0 application and $0 ongoing fees. This interest rate falls over time as you pay off the loan.