Are outdoor living areas covered by home insurance?

From ponds to pergolas, barbeques to bar fridges, here's how insurance can cover your outdoor living area and the things you keep outside.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Outdoor living areas make our lives at home better. These can include permanent structures like verandas, ponds and swimming pools or decorative add-ons like statues, potted plants and paved areas. The total value of those structures and features might be higher than you'd think.

By definition, outdoor living areas are more exposed to the elements and the things we keep outside are more vulnerable to theft. With home insurance covering your home's outside spaces, you'll be able to relax and enjoy the fresh air.

Protect your outdoor living area with home insurance

Name Product Outdoor Contents Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy online and you'll also save 30% on your first year’s premium. T&Cs Apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Huddle Comprehensive Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your policy in the first year.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance
Domain Home Buildings & Contents Insurance
Domain Insure uses property data to help build your quote faster.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Real Top Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.

Compare up to 4 providers

Why should I get home insurance for my outdoor living area?

If you've invested in your backyard or garden, embellishing it with "furnished" living spaces and decorative touches, then outdoor living home insurance could be for you.

Helpfully, insurers tend to treat many outdoor areas as part of the home, which means you can get the same levels and types of cover for lots of outdoor assets as you can for your indoor ones.

Outside the main structure of your home, insurers generally differentiate between:

  • Permanent fixtures
  • The things we keep in permanent fixtures like a barbeque and outdoor furniture

Which insurance is right for you will depend on what you need to cover:

Home/building insurance

Can protect permanent outdoor structures like pools, sheds and pizza ovens from physical damage

Contents insurance

Can cover the things you keep in those structures and elsewhere outside like prized potted plants or a bar fridge

Home and contents insurance

Provides cover for both the physical structure of your outdoor setting and the contents within it, giving the broadest protection

What's a permanent fixture?

Home insurers' definitions can vary slightly, but basically, if it's permanently attached to the property, it's a permanent fixture. Examples include:

  • Outdoor kitchens (including any cupboards and drawers)
  • Barbeques and cooking areas
  • Pergolas and gazebos
  • Decks, verandas and balconies

If one of the above is damaged or lost in an insured event, home insurance can cover it, whereas a straight contents policy won't.

Keep in mind there's a difference between:

  • Fixtures, which are permanently attached to the property, like (in an outdoor kitchen) built-in shelving, light fixtures and stovetops.
  • Fittings, which are freestanding and/or not permanently attached. Examples could include desk lamps, coffee tables and fridges.
Home/building insurance can cover your fixtures, contents insurance can cover your fittings. A home and contents insurance can cover both.

Can my outdoor kitchen set-up be covered?

Yes, absolutely. Just make sure the structure and what's in it are listed in your home and/or contents policy, or included in your sum-insured amount.

Again, home and building insurance and contents insurance cover different things. So when you're itemising your outdoor assets, you should – like the insurer – differentiate between permanent fixtures (structural elements) and their contents (including fittings).

A combined building and contents policy can cover the kitchen structure as well as its contents.

What about my barbeque?

You can definitely include your barbeque in your home and/or contents policy. The insurance you need might depend on whether it's a built-in (building) or portable (contents) unit. If you have a combined home and contents policy, you can be covered either way.

How do I cover outdoor structures like patios, verandas, gazebos and pergolas?

You just have to make sure they're listed in your home and buildings policy and that you're happy with the amounts they're insured for.

Do that, and if a structure is damaged in a storm or by a falling tree, you can be covered.

Your home and contents insurance can also cover more or less anything of value you might keep in these structures (e.g. outdoor furniture, potted plants, cooking equipment).

Will my water feature be covered?

Whether it's a pond, fountain or statue, it can be insured just like your other valuables. Just make sure it (and its full value) are listed in your policy.

Home and contents insurance can cover the damage or loss of a water feature because of things like vandalism, theft and storm and impact damage (e.g. from a falling tree or branch).

It could also cover any damage your water feature caused if it happened to go haywire and flood the property.

A heads-up: goldfish, koi and other aquatic friends likely won't be covered.

When will I be covered?

With combined home and contents insurance, you can be covered for repair or replacement costs if an outdoor structure and/or its contents are damaged, destroyed or lost because of:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Theft
  • Storm
  • Impact
  • Escape of liquid from your plumbing system or water features
  • Vandalism
  • Theft

For example, you could be covered if:

  • A barbeque or outdoor gas stove malfunctioned and caused fire damage
  • A tree or branch fell and damaged a pergola, outdoor table or garden ornament
  • An antique statue was stolen from your garden

You'll also have the option to include various add-ons, such as accidental damage insurance, that can broaden your cover.

When won't my outdoor living area be covered by home insurance?

Exclusions to your cover might apply if:

  • You haven't listed an outdoor structure or item on your home and/or contents policy or you haven't included its full value.
  • A pet damages an outdoor structure or item.
  • An outdoor structure or item is damaged or lost because of something that was foreseeable and preventable (e.g. you had a backyard bonfire that got out of hand).
  • An item in a garden bed is damaged or lost – home and building insurance generally ends where your garden beds start. If you have precious plants you want to insure, you can think about garden insurance.

Renovating your outdoor living area? Don't forget this!

If you're renovating an outdoor area, don't make the common mistake of forgetting to update the relevant maximum insured amounts in your policy so they'll reflect:

  • The money you've spent on the upgrade
  • Any new structures to be covered by your building insurance or items to be covered by your contents insurance (e.g. for a new furnished pergola and paved barbeque area)

After pouring money into a renovation, the last thing you want is for the upgraded area to be damaged and then to find you're not covered for its full value because you didn't update your policy.

Keeping the buildings, contents and all-important sums insured in your policy up to date is a key way to get the most out of your insurance.

When you do update your policy, take the opportunity to check whether you could be getting a better deal on your home insurance.

Picture: Getty Images

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site