With VET FEE-HELP, pursuing career goals through continuing education can be a reality for all Australians.

Australian students pursuing higher education may be eligible to have help paying the cost of their tuition. This is possible through the Vocational Education and Training Higher Education Loan Program (VET FEE-HELP).

This program is solely for the use of paying all or part of a tuition, not for any other costs associated with continuing education. As a specialised loan, it's designed exclusively to assist Australians who are pursuing a higher education.

VET FEE-HELP is offered at the diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate and graduate diploma level. For a limited amount of time the program is also being offered to a select number of Certificate IV qualifications. This is a trial to determine the need and benefit of offering the loan to a broader range of students.

Who is eligible for VET FEE-HELP?

As an Australian Government loan offered as assistance in helping to cover the cost of tuition for higher studies, certain qualifications must be met in order for a student to be considered for the loan. The application is made through your provider, who should be able to provide you with the information and forms you will need to make the request.

Some of the eligibility requirements that you must meet include:

  • Residency. This loan is only offered to Australian citizens. Permanent humanitarian visa holders may also qualify as long as they will reside in Australia for the duration of the unit.
  • Continuing education. You will have to be a fee paying student studying for an advanced degree at an educational institution that has been approved by VET FEE-HELP.
  • Subsidised students. If you are being subsidised by the government of Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, Western Australia, New South Wales, Tasmania or the Northern Territory you can still qualify for the VET FEE-HELP loan.
  • Course of study. Eligible classes are determined by census data taken for each unit. The provider will be able to assist you in determining if your course of study is eligible for the loan at that time.

What you need to know about your VET FEE-HELP loan

As VET FEE-HELP is a loan program, not a subsidy or scholarship, the student is required to make repayments over time to pay the money back. The cap on the amount borrowed is based on the type of study, rather than on the student’s financial background.

Key points about the VET FEE-HELP loan to consider are:

  • Loan fee. For students who are not being subsidised by their state or territory government, there may be a loan origination fee of 20% of the value of the loan.
  • Loan amount. As of 2014 the loan limit for a student who is studying medicine, dentistry or veterinary services is $120,002. For other types of studies, the limit is $96,000. The loan fee you pay will have no bearing on the amount of money available to you. Also keep in mind that this is the limit for the life of the loan, as opposed to a revolving line of credit where repayments would count towards the amount available.
  • Interest. The Australian Government does not apply any interest to the balance of the debt for your VET FEE-HELP loan. It will be indexed yearly, and adjustments made to account for changes in the cost of living. This is based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) data released in March, and applied on the 1st of June. Loans that have not reached one year in maturity will not be subject to indexation.
  • Prior debt. Your financial past is not a consideration when applying for the VET FEE-HELP loan.

How to repay your VET FEE-HELP debt

When you're required to begin repaying your VET FEE-HELP debt is dependent on when the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) deems you to have the necessary income. All debts are managed by the ATO and payments will be made directly to that facility.

If you are considering a VET FEE-HELP loan, make note of the following important points about the repayment expectations:

  • Income threshold: For the 2015-2016 tax year, once you start earning $53,345 annually you need to begin making repayments on the loan.
  • Repayment amount: The amount of your repayments will be a percentage of the amount you earned for the year, increasing as your income does. After calculation, the ATO includes the repayment with your income tax notice of assessment.
  • Voluntary repayments: You are permitted to make extra repayments for any amount and at any time. This can be done using BPAY, direct credit, credit card payments or with a cheque. The repayment will be paid directly to the ATO and are considered an addition to those posted on your tax assessment, not a replacement. If you make a repayment of $500 or more you will receive a bonus of 5%.
  • Deferred repayments. If you are in financial hardship and feel you cannot make your compulsory repayments, you can file an application with the ATO to have your repayments deferred for an allocated period of time. Your request will then be reviewed by the ATO.

VET FEE-HELP providers

There are a number of choices when it comes to tertiary schools that are eligible VET FEE-HELP providers. These can be universities, private higher education providers, courses through Open Universities Australia (OUA) or approved Vocational Education and Training (VET) providers.

If it is unclear whether the school you wish to enroll is an eligible provider for the loan, you can find a full listing of providers on the Study Assist website. The list is divided by Australian state or territory, making it easier to find a school in your vicinity.

Online courses that offer VET FEE-HELP

There are accredited universities that offer online courses which qualify for VET FEE-HELP loans. Like with other tertiary schools, it will need to have received approval by the Australian Government as a qualifying institution. When searching for an online course, be sure to look for those which state that they are an approved Australian course provider.

The same guidelines apply when pursuing your education online as they do with physical institutions. These include the requirement that you must reside in Australia for the duration of your study, despite the course of study being offered online. The online institution will be able to provide you with the proper forms to apply for the loan and will assist you in filing them.

Applying for VET FEE-HELP

As an effort by the Australian Government to make continuing education an opportunity for all citizens, applying for a VET FEE-HELP loan has been made simple. Once accepted for enrollment by an accepted provider, they will either supply you with the forms needed to apply for the loan, or direct you to where it is located on their website.

Once you have completed the Request for Commonwealth assistance form, you will return that to the provider along with your Tax File Number (TFN). This must be done before the administrative or census date. Forms submitted after that date will not be accepted.

Common reasons why your VET FEE-HELP application will be rejected

  • Residency status. You may be rejected if you're found not to be an Australian citizen, or if you're in possession of a humanitarian visa.
  • Time spent abroad. In addition to the correct visa, you must reside inside of Australia for the duration of your course.
  • Additional aid. With the exception of subsidies from the state or commonwealth, a student must be paying the tuition in full to qualify.
  • New Zealand residents. Although exceptions have been made in the past, since laws were changed in 2005 New Zealand citizens have no longer been able to qualify for a HELP loan.
  • Census Date. If you submit your application after the census date, it will not be considered. This date will be at least 20% of the way through the study period for that unit and will be set by the provider.


While VET FEE-HELP is an innovative loan opportunity to help you continue your education, you will be obligated to repay it as your income grows. If your course of study and the tertiary school you are interested in are eligible providers for the loan, it is worth looking into.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Personal Loan Offers

Important Information*
Logo for Citi Personal Loan Plus
Citi Personal Loan Plus

You'll receive a variable rate between 9.99% p.a. and 17.99% p.a. (9.99% p.a. to 17.99% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
A credit limit up to $75,000 that you can continue to draw down over terms up to 5 years. Note: No establishment fee and no monthly account service fees apply if you apply and are approved before 31 March 2020.

Logo for RateSetter Unsecured Personal Loan - 3yr Variable
RateSetter Unsecured Personal Loan - 3yr Variable

You'll receive a variable rate between p.a. and 16.40 p.a. based on your risk profile
A flexible loan with amounts from $2,001 and terms starting from 6 months. Interest and comparison rates calculated for a loan term of 3 years.

Logo for Harmoney Unsecured Personal Loan
Harmoney Unsecured Personal Loan

You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 28.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $70,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.

Logo for NOW FINANCE Personal Loans
NOW FINANCE Personal Loans

You'll receive a fixed rate between 8.95% p.a. and 16.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
Apply for loans from $5,000 and get a dedicated loan manager. No security required.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

38 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    PeterDecember 5, 2016

    How can I obtain a VET Help statement, of amount outstanding.
    Will ATO provide one? How do I request?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayDecember 6, 2016Staff

      Hi Peter,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      Yes, you’d be best to get in touch with ATO directly as they manage the debts and outstanding accounts. Payments can also be made directly to the facility.

      Hope this helps.


  2. Default Gravatar
    ozeNovember 18, 2016

    Does it mean that I have to pay a higher portion of my educational fees if I enroll next year? Thank you

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayNovember 18, 2016Staff

      Hi Oze,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      All the VET FEE-HELP debts are managed by ATO, so they will be able to determine how much assistance you will be eligible next year and what would be your repayments schedule and amount. With that, I suggest that you contact ATO directly to get the exact computation.


  3. Default Gravatar
    CuriousNovember 16, 2016

    What would happen if you carried out study under HECS or one of the other schemes, but never earned the amount that is stated that repayments start? Does that mean that there is no repayments required?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeNovember 17, 2016Staff

      Hi Curious,

      Thanks for your question.

      Under HECS-HELP Program, students have different repayment options as listed here.

      If you need further clarification for the repayment option that is most suitable for your situation, you can directly contact HECS on 1800 020 108.


  4. Default Gravatar
    ThuySeptember 7, 2016

    I would like to ask would I eligible for VET-FEE-HELP funding. I am currently holding permanent visa (887 sub-class) since July, and working as a waitress.
    I am graduated Master of Network Science at Swinburne University in 2012.
    I am seeking an IT course to re-skill in order to find a permanent job, but unable to afford one by myself.
    Could I please ask for help or for suggestion what should I done in the future to get approval from VET-FEE-HELP, or other scholarships?

    Thank you for your help

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeSeptember 7, 2016Staff

      Hi Thuy An,

      Thanks for your question.

      The VET-FEE HELP is offered only to Australian citizens or those with permanent humanitarian visa as long as they will reside in Australia for the duration of the unit. Other eligibility criteria also apply.


    • Default Gravatar
      ThuySeptember 7, 2016

      Hi Anndy,
      thank you for your reply.
      Can you please tell me more about eligibility criteria that you mention before?
      I am really new with this system, but really need to re-skill now

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeSeptember 7, 2016Staff

      Hi Thuy An,

      Aside from Australian citizenship, other criteria to be eligible for this loan are listed above under ‘Who is eligible for VET FEE-HELP?’


  5. Default Gravatar
    LeeanneSeptember 6, 2016

    if i die and i have never earnt over the compulsory about. after my tax return post death. does anything have to be repaid at all.


    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethSeptember 8, 2016Staff

      Hi Leeanne,

      No, you won’t. Any compulsory repayment included on a notice of assessment that relates to the period before the person’s death must be paid from that person’s estate, but the remainder of the accumulated debt is cancelled.

      Neither the deceased person’s family nor the trustee is required to pay the rest of the accumulated HELP debt.

      Hope this helps,


  6. Default Gravatar
    MelanieAugust 31, 2016

    Hi, if I get married and my partner earns over the repayment threshold does he have to start paying back my course? I guess what I’m asking is does our tax file numbers get combined?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethSeptember 1, 2016Staff

      Hi Melanie,

      No, if you get married the repayments remain your responsibility and you’ll only start repaying when you earn over the threshold amount.

      Hope this helps,


  7. Default Gravatar
    SylvieJanuary 7, 2016

    I would like to enrol in a Nursing course starting on the 1st of Feb 2016, I would like to apply for VET-FEE Help , but I am not officially an Australian citizen just yet. I have been living in Australia since 1998 and my citizenship test is scheduled for the 25 Jan 2016. I am wondering if there is a way for me to be granted VET-FEE Help in those circumstances?



    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethJanuary 19, 2016Staff

      Hi Sylvie,

      Apologies for the delayed response. I would get in touch directly with your provider in these circumstances or with Study Assist on 1800 020 108. You may also have the option of applying after you have been granted citizenship as it falls before the start of your course and most importantly, before the Census date.

      I hope this has helped.



  8. Default Gravatar
    DaveDecember 29, 2015

    Are you supposed to fill out the student copy of the form or the other part or both also is it possible to get another form sent out to you?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethJanuary 19, 2016Staff

      Hi Dave,

      You need to fill out the ‘student’ section of the form – if you need another form you will need to request one from your provider.

      I hope this has helped.



  9. Default Gravatar
    HelenDecember 28, 2015

    I retired this year at the age of 63 and due to my husband’s financial situation and the fact that he is still working I don’t qualify for a pension. Am I able to study a Diploma course at TAFE and apply for Vet fee help.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethJanuary 19, 2016Staff

      Hi Helen,

      You are eligible if you meet the requirements set out in the ‘Who is eligible for VET FEE-HELP’ section outlines above. You can also find more information on the VET-FEE HELP website.



  10. Default Gravatar
    BillyDecember 7, 2015

    I know an elderly person who is doing a diploma course and has a HELP debt.

    If he will to die, will his estate be liable for the HELP debt?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ElizabethDecember 8, 2015Staff

      Hi Billy,

      If a person dies with an outstanding HELP debt, a trustee or executor needs to lodge all outstanding tax returns on behalf of the deceased person, up to the date of the person’s death. Any compulsory repayment included on a notice of assessment that relates to the period before the person’s death must be paid from the estate, but the remainder of the accumulated debt is cancelled.

      Neither the deceased person’s family nor the trustee is required to pay the rest of the accumulated HELP debt.

      I hope this has helped.



Ask a question
Go to site