nib may not offer specifically combined policies, but you have the freedom to pair together any of their hospital and extras offerings to make sure you're only paying for what you require. Enjoy the flexibility of creating your own health care package.
Top 3 features
- Good for basic cover. Both nib's basic hospital cover and basic extras cover are relatively strong compared to similar policies from other providers.
- Good for optical and dental. No matter what extras policy you opt for, you'll receive 100% back on your optical and dental costs at nib eye and dental care providers, until you hit your annual limit.
- Good for dodging out-of-pocket expenses. Use providers who participate in nib's MediGap program while in hospital and you won't have to pay any gap.
Promotions currently on offer from nib
Compare more health insurance options
What combined hospital and extras plans are available?
nib doesn't provide specific combined policies, instead letting you mix and match from among their individual hospital and extras options.
- Basic Essential Hospital Plus. This policy is more comprehensive than most entry-level options, providing cover cover for accidents and a few basic treatments, as well as covering theatre fees, accommodation costs and more.
- Silver Advantage Hospital Plus. Covers the majority of common treatments, excluding only those services for pregnancy and birth, assisted reproductive services, hospital psychiatric services, and weight loss surgery.
- Gold Top Hospital. No exclusions or limitations. nib's highest level of cover.
- Core Extras/Core Extras Boost. Provides a 60% benefit on a basic range of extras, including general and major dental, optical, physiotherapy and emergency ambulance services. The Boost plan provides the same benefits, but with a higher annual limit.
- Core and Wellbeing Extras. Provides a 60% benefit on the same range as Core Extras, but adds on cover for some natural therapies, healthier lifestyle, chiropractic/osteopathy, remedial massage, psychology and more.
- Top Extras. Provides a 75% benefit on a full range of services. nib's top-level extras plan, covering everything in lower tiers but adding in cover for premium extras like eye, speech and occupational therapy, home nursing services, podiatry, hearing aids and speech processors, and health aids.
Other benefits of nib combined hospital and extras cover
In addition to any benefits provided by the policy you take out, nib offers the following to their members:
- Reduced premiums. You could receive up to a 4% discount if you decide to pay your premiums via automatic direct debit.
- nib Rewards. When you're a member at nib, you can get discounts on over 150 different retailers. These discounts extend to groceries, gym memberships, and more.
- nib MediGap. With your hospital cover, you can avoid out-of-pocket costs entirely by ensuring you receive treatment from a participating nib MediGap health care provider.
- 100% optical and dental benefits. No matter what level of extras cover you choose, you'll get 100% of your costs back when you visit an nib eye care or dental care centre (up to your annual limits).
How do the costs work?
When admitted to hospital, you'll be required to pay the excess nominated on your insurance policy. Following that, you shouldn't attract any out-of-pocket costs while at hospital, so long as any treatments you receive are recognised by Medicare and covered under whatever hospital policy you've chosen.
For extras, you'll receive back a percentage of the service's cost (60% for Core, Core Boost and Essentials, 75% for Top Extras) on the spot. You'll be able to receive benefits for each specific extra up to your annual limit, at which point you'll have to wait until the next calendar year for your benefits to reset.
Waiting periods and limitations
With your combined hospital and extras cover, the following waiting periods apply before you can receive benefits on certain services:
- 1 day: For emergency ambulance and accident services.
- 2 months: For general hospitalisation, hospital psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care services, and all extras services not covered below.
- 6 months: For healthier lifestyle benefits and optical appliances and repairs.
- 12 months: For pre-existing conditions, pregnancy and birth and (out-of-hospital) specialty dental, removal of wisdom teeth, some dental surgeries by non-specialist doctors, dentures, orthodontics, and artificial aids (excluding orthotics).
- 36 months: For hearing aids and speech processors.
How to make a claim
Claiming on most extras is easy, requiring only that you swipe your membership card when accessing the service.
Hospital claims should be dealt with automatically once you've paid your policy's excess upon admission to hospital.
In the case that you need to make a claim outside of this, you can claim via the nib App or their online portal by uploading the relevant invoices and receipts. Otherwise, if necessary, you can mail a claim form with supporting documents to nib