Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Stamp duty Victoria

Find out your stamp duty costs when buying property in Victoria. Use our calculator and see if you can get an exemption or concession.

How much stamp duty do I need to pay in Victoria?

In Victoria you pay stamp duty, or land transfer duty, when you purchase a home or investment property. It can costs tens of thousands of dollars, but there are concessions and exemptions to help keep costs down for first home buyers.

VIC stamp duty calculator

Use this calculator to get an estimate of your stamp duty costs on a property in Victoria. Select VIC in the input box to ensure you get the right calculation. This is just an estimate not an exact calculation.

How to use the VIC stamp duty calculator

  1. Enter your property value (or an estimate).
  2. Pick VIC as your state/territory.
  3. Select Live-in (if you're buying a home), Investment (for an investment property) or Vacant land (if building on a vacant lot).
  4. If you've never owned a home before select Yes for First Home Buyer (you may get a stamp duty discount).

How is stamp duty calculated in Victoria?

Many would-be homebuyers don't realise that they'll have to pay stamp duty. Buying a home in Victoria could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in land transfer duties.

The amount of duty payable is calculated on a sliding scale, starting at 1.4% for properties whose dutiable value is $25,000, and going up to 5.5% for properties with a dutiable value of $960,000 and above.

Dutiable value rangeDuty payable
Up to $25,0001.4% of the dutiable value of the property
$25,001 to $130,000$350 plus 2.4% of the dutiable value in excess of $25,000
$130,001 to $960,000$2,870 plus 6% of the dutiable value in excess of $130,000
$960,001 to $2,000,0005.5% of the dutiable value
Above $2,000,000$110,000 plus 6.5% of the dutiable value in excess of $2,000,000

Figures correct at the time of publication and subject to change. Source: State Revenue Office of Victoria

The dutiable value of the home basically just means the purchase price of the property. But if you're selling a property at discount (say, to a family member) then the dutiable value is based on the market value. That's the price the property would sell for on the open market.

Rates of stamp duty may vary if:

  • You’re a foreign buyer.
  • You’re a first home buyer.
  • The property is going to be your primary residence or an investment property.
  • You’re buying land or an existing dwelling.
  • You’re buying the property or taking possession of it in another way (e.g. receiving it as a gift, inheriting the property).
  • You are entitled to other exemptions and concessions.

First home buyer? Learn how to find the right home loan here

Are there stamp duty concessions for first home buyers in Victoria?

There’s a range of land transfer duty concessions and complete exemptions that are available.

Ongoing stamp duty exemption for first home buyers

On an ongoing basis, first home buyers in Victoria may be exempt from stamp duty on eligible purchases.

You, and your partner if applicable, must both qualify as first home buyers and be Australian citizens or permanent residents. New Zealanders on a special category visa are also eligible.

Eligible purchases

The full exemption only applies to homes with a dutiable value up to $600,000. For homes valued at $600,000 to $750,000, you can still get a partial exemption.

You must be buying your principal place of residence, so the discount is not available on investment purchases. This means you need to live in it for at least 12 continuous months, starting within 12 months of taking possession.

Here are some examples of how the Victorian stamp duty concession can help you reduce your stamp duty costs:

Purchase priceFirst Home buyer exemption and concession

Stamp duty is subject to changes so please use the above as a guide only.

Are there any other stamp duty concessions or exemptions in Victoria?

Land transfer duties are also exempt for:

  • Land transfers from deceased persons to their beneficiaries
  • Transfers between spouses and partners, including transfers after breakups, such as part of a divorce settlement
  • Certain corporate consolidations or reconstructions

Other concessions include:

  • Off-the-plan purchase concessions
  • Pensioner duty exemptions or concessions
  • Charity and friendly society concessions
  • Young farmer exemptions or concessions

Learn more about each exemption:

How do I claim a Victorian stamp duty concession or exemption?

You can apply for an exception or concession through Victoria’s State Revenue Office.

How and when do I have to pay stamp duty?

You must complete a Digital Duties Form online to pay your land transfer duty. You can do this as a homebuyer, or your conveyancer will do it for you. You will need to register online and verify your identity.

The State Revenue Office of Victoria recommends that you complete the form and payment "at least 30 days before settlement."

This means you must have saved your stamp duty and have the funds ready to pay for it at around the same time that you save your deposit. You can not add the cost of stamp duty to your home loan.

Do I have to pay stamp duty upfront or can I pay it in instalments?

You're generally better off paying your land transfer duty upfront if you can. It is possible to set up a payment plan lasting up to 12 months, but you will be charged interest at the "market rate" plus 8%. That's a hefty rate and could see you pay a significant amount of interest.

For instance, your stamp duty bill could have an interest rate attached to it valued at around 4%. Add on the 8% margin and that's 12% interest. On stamp duty of $15,000, this would add $1,800 to your stamp duty bill.

More questions about stamp duty in Victoria

Sarah Megginson's headshot
Head of editorial

As an authority on all things personal finance, Sarah Megginson is passionate about helping you save money and make money. She is an editor and money expert with 20 years’ experience and an extensive background in property and finance journalism. Sarah holds ASIC RG146-compliant Tier 1 Generic Knowledge certification, and she's a regular media commentator, appearing weekly on TV (Sunrise, Channel 7 news, Nine news), radio (KIIS FM, Triple M, 3AW, 2GB, 6PR) and in digital and print media. See full bio

Sarah's expertise
Sarah has written 185 Finder guides across topics including:
  • Home loans
  • Personal finance
  • Budgeting and money-saving tips
  • Managing the cost of living
Richard Whitten's headshot
Co-written by


Richard Whitten is a money editor at Finder, and has been covering home loans, property and personal finance for 6+ years. He has written for Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine and Homely; and has appeared on various radio shows nationwide. He holds a Certificate IV in mortgage broking and finance (RG 206), a Tier 1 Generic Knowledge certification and a Tier 2 General Advice Deposit Products (RG 146) certification. See full bio

Richard's expertise
Richard has written 528 Finder guides across topics including:
  • Home loans
  • Property
  • Personal finance
  • Money-saving tips
More resources on Finder

More guides on Finder

Ask a question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

28 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    ElizaJuly 9, 2022

    I’m a pensioner and have to downsize. I am intending to shift into a retirement village not by choice but for my own safety.
    Cost of accomodation is $759,000 would this amount attract Stamp Duty noting
    that I am a pensioner. Having to pay stamp duty would limit choices so much.

      RichardJuly 13, 2022Finder

      Hi Eliza,

      If you’re buying a lease on a retirement village unit you may be exempt from stamp duty. But if you’re buying the unit itself and it has a title then you may have to pay stamp duty. There are some exemptions depending on where you live.

      You should definitely talk to your conveyancer before signing any contracts.

      Kind regards,

    Default Gravatar
    SteveMay 24, 2022

    Hi. I have a current property with my wife. My wife has inherited a block of land in MacCrae Victoria. We are going to build a new home on this block and sell our current property. My wife’s name is on the MacCrae title. We want to add my name onto this title. Will I have to pay stamp duty?

      RichardMay 28, 2022Finder

      Hi Steve,

      Adding a name to the property title can incur stamp duty. There are exemptions for spouses, so this may apply in this case. But this exemption only applies on a principal place of residence. If you are planning to sell your existing home and live in the new one, then you should satisfy that requirement too.

      You can find more information here And I suggest talking to a conveyancer to get more personal and professional advice.

      All the best,

    Default Gravatar
    TheodoreMarch 11, 2020

    I am buying an investment property from my brother and I’m over 65 but not registered for the pension. Are there any stamp duty concessions available to me?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiMarch 12, 2020

      Hi Theodore,

      Thanks for your comment and I hope you are well. Upon reviewing the information above, the only concession you can take advantage of is the Pensioner duty exemption or concession. You can apply for this through the State Revenue Office in Victoria.

      Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to us again for further assistance.


    Default Gravatar
    abdulDecember 31, 2019

    If i purchased a property in Jan 2017 and paid stamp duty – and i would like to purchase another in 2020 > the property i purchased in 2017 was my first and i didnt receive any first home buyer benefits or concessions. Am i able to receive any exemptions and benefits to stamp duty or FHOG on my next property?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiJanuary 4, 2020

      Hi Abdul,

      Thanks for your comment and I hope you are doing well. Given that you are buying your second property, this means that the First Home Buyer benefits won’t apply. Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to us again for further assistance.


    Default Gravatar
    BillJuly 15, 2019

    Amicable separation.
    Property currently owned outright in joint names.
    Title to be trasferred to one of current joint names and to be used a principal place of residence.
    Property value approx $1M
    Any stamp duty concessions apply?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiJuly 17, 2019

      Hi Bill T,

      Thanks for your question.

      There are a few stamp duty exemptions and concessions possible for your situation:

      1. Transfers between spouses and partners, including transfers after breakups such as part of a divorce settlement
      2. The principal place of residence (PPR) concession is for properties with dutiable values up to $550,000, where the purchasers intend to use the property as their permanent residence. This means living there for a continuous period of at least 12 months after taking possession of the property.

      You can apply for duty or concession through Victoria’s State Revenue Office. Hope this helps! For any further questions, feel free to reach out to us again, we’re here to help.


Go to site